Is it safe, relatively, to add any other fish to this tank.

sqznest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal mixed reef with 20G sump, been up about about 3 years. Been off and on fighting some GHA. I have 8 urchins, bunch of snails, crabs, etc for CUC. What I'm fighting is the nooks and crannies get a bit hairy. I run a very small refugium with chaeto which keeps my levels low. I have one Purple Tang which does a great job grazing, also have a starry blenny that does what it can. I was considering the addition of a couple other algae eaters, potentially a tang or two if possible. I wish I would have added multiple small ones in the beginning.

Parameters:
Salinity: 35.5
Temp: 77.5 - 78.5
Alk: 9dKH
Cal: 450
Mag: 1400
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate: .03

Current fish roster:
Purple Tang (wrasse chaser)
Starry Blenny
Small goby and pistol shrimp
Filefish
Marble Wrasse (hermit crab killer)
2x cleaner shrimp
3 lyre-tail anthias
2 Red and 2 purple firefish
3 Dart fish
2 clowns

I'd appreciate any suggestions on anything that could be added to help manage the algae? I don't really want to mess with adding any chemicals as its more of an aesthetic thing than being overrun. The answer may be nothing but more CUC.

Last edited:

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at your list of already inhabitants, thats a pretty big list for a 90 gallon, however looking at your parameters it looks like you are doing a good job keeping nitrates and phosphates low with such a bio load. That being said I think it is possible to add another herbivore fish into this tank. However I would say you dont have that many options. I would stay away from the other zebrosoma tangs, the yellow, scopas, gem, etc cause you already have the purple which might put aggression towards theses. For a 90 gallon tank I would suggest adding a tomini tang or another tang from the bristletooth family. I would even suggest maybe adding a foxface fish as they are a herbivore fish that graze on algae.

Also have you have any mexican turbo snails in there. When I had some GHA in a 10 gallon, I got one big turbo and over night all GHA was gone.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels are pretty good. My bicolor grazes more than my flame.

edit- sorry didn't notice GHA green hair algae. Not sure dwarf angels are good for that

OP
OP
sqznest

sqznest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at your list of already inhabitants, thats a pretty big list for a 90 gallon, however looking at your parameters it looks like you are doing a good job keeping nitrates and phosphates low with such a bio load. That being said I think it is possible to add another herbivore fish into this tank. However I would say you dont have that many options. I would stay away from the other zebrosoma tangs, the yellow, scopas, gem, etc cause you already have the purple which might put aggression towards theses. For a 90 gallon tank I would suggest adding a tomini tang or another tang from the bristletooth family. I would even suggest maybe adding a foxface fish as they are a herbivore fish that graze on algae.

Also have you have any mexican turbo snails in there. When I had some GHA in a 10 gallon, I got one big turbo and over night all GHA was gone.
I don't think an are Turbo snails, these all pretty much stay on the glass. I'll hit the LFS and see if they have any. I'll have to read up on the Tomini as well.

Appreciate the feedback.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw...i also have a 90g tank and I've never ran a cuc (actually in my 20+ years in the hobby I've never run a cuc, but that's another story) and I've never had algae issues. I currently have about ten fish in the 90g including some med/large tangs (powder blue, Hippo, and naso) and zero algae issues. I don't do water changes, don't run a skimmer, don't run reactors. All I do is run a diy ATS. An ATS will solve your algae issues.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal mixed reef with 20G sump, been up about about 3 years. Been off and on fighting some GHA. I have 8 urchins, bunch of snails, crabs, etc for CUC. What I'm fighting is the nooks and crannies get a bit hairy. I run a very small refugium with chaeto which keeps my levels low. I have one Purple Tang which does a great job grazing, also have a starry blenny that does what it can. I was considering the addition of a couple other algae eaters, potentially a tang or two if possible. I wish I would have added multiple small ones in the beginning.

Parameters:

Current fish roster:
Starry Blenny
Filefish
2x cleaner shrimp
3 lyre-tail anthias
3 Dart fish
2 clowns

I'd appreciate any suggestions on anything that could be added to help manage the algae? I don't really want to mess with adding any chemicals as its more of an aesthetic thing than being overrun. The answer may be nothing but more CUC.
The marble wrasse will outgrow the tank eventually, same with the Purple Tang. One other issue with the marble wrasse is they’re notoriously known for being aggressive to any similarly shaped fish.
I wouldn’t add anything else to that tank as you’ve already got a good mix that get along, any new additions could trip a whole change in hierarchy and mess up the peace.

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw...i also have a 90g tank and I've never ran a cuc (actually in my 20+ years in the hobby I've never run a cuc, but that's another story) and I've never had algae issues. I currently have about ten fish in the 90g including some med/large tangs (powder blue, Hippo, and naso) and zero algae issues. I don't do water changes, don't run a skimmer, don't run reactors. All I do is run a diy ATS. An ATS will solve your algae issues.
ATS - is that auto tip-off system, or something else? Just learning all the abbreviations.
Does GHA stay green or does it turn brown?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a bristletooth tang? A small one spot foxface might also work.
I personally wouldn’t do either as the foxface and purple tang both get large, maybe if it was a different stock it would work but 4’ tanks are just too small for most tangs for all their life.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 fish with a 90-gallon is probably nearing the upper limits - not so much in terms of the maximum number of fish but the potential bio load. I have 43 in my 160-gallon display, but I have a lot of rock work for everyone to hide in, a massive cleanup crew and a fairly heavy-duty filtration setup.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 fish with a 90-gallon is probably nearing the upper limits - not so much in terms of the maximum number of fish but the potential bio load. I have 43 in my 160-gallon display, but I have a lot of rock work for everyone to hide in, a massive cleanup crew and a fairly heavy-duty filtration setup.
I didn't count the fish the OP listed. 100% agree with @blaxsun here.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parameters:

Current fish roster:
Starry Blenny
Filefish
2x cleaner shrimp
3 lyre-tail anthias
3 Dart fish
2 clowns

tank sounds pretty stocked imo, I would not recommend more fish. If the issue is GHA in nooks and crannies, small hermits or ceriths would help.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you don’t have any urchins, my Royal tuxedo urchin is a work horse on algae. At times I have to supplement with nori because I don’t want him/her to starve. Your tank could probably handle 2-3. My emerald crab has done damage to GHA in the past. I know the consensus is you’ve reached your bio load, l heard lawnmowers blennies tear through GHA and are a smaller fish. Good luck.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you don’t have any urchins, my Royal tuxedo urchin is a work horse on algae. At times I have to supplement with nori because I don’t want him/her to starve. Your tank could probably handle 2-3. My emerald crab has done damage to GHA in the past. I know the consensus is you’ve reached your bio load, l heard lawnmowers blennies tear through GHA and are a smaller fish. Good luck.
I have 8 urchins
I think OP has enough urchins

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back