Is it safe to apply new silicone on top of the existing silicone in this sump?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on my used Red Sea tank and i wanted to silicone the edges of the sump just in case it had any leaks, which I’m sure there weren’t. But I wanted to do it for safety. Can I just add a thick bead of silicone ontop of the existing beads in the corners? This is what the tank looks like. I was going to add a thick bead so it would just cover the existing one completely and adhere to the glass around it. Would that be fine?

530E3611-2A67-497E-A4DF-C7A02F972CF5.jpeg 2FA1F504-57DB-4B5A-9654-D0D65CBFB57B.jpeg 03E8B7AC-0BB8-4CF5-97CB-809D4FBFAC8C.jpeg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New silicone doesn't stick to old cures silicone.
Okay true, I know it doesn’t, but what if it completely covers the old silicone and sticks to the glass around it? Will that hold and create it’s own seal to the glass? You know what I mean?
@Saltyreef yeah I just wanted to add extra protection just in case, that’s why I wanted to add a new bead.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I am aware, the only silicone that really matters is at the joints between the panes. That is what actually holds the aquarium together. As long as the joint silicone is in good condition around the whole tank, you're good to go. If you want the extra peace of mind, there's no reason you can't add silicone on the inside corner of the joints like you want to. Just make sure there's good coverage on either side of the existing silicone and be sure there are no voids in the new stuff. Momentive RTV103 is what I used when I built my 75g. SCS1200 is also good.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back