Is it safe to have my WB P25 bridge the plumbing cut out in their 2418 stand?

cakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 and saw they had some of their 2418 stands on clearance and went ahead and picked one up as well. The stand was made for their aquariums meant to be ran with a sump so they have a U shape cut out in the back for the overflow and return piping. So my question is will it be fine for the tank to span across the gap or should I place another top across the stand so it doesn't have it. Here are some pictures to show what I'm exactly asking about.

20210402_180150.jpg

The gap is about 9.5" across and 4" deep. I pushed the tank forward to show the gap better so in its normal spot it'd be closer to the edge if not right along it.

20210402_180158.jpg

My thought is it should be fine, but I wanted to ask some other people to make sure. If there's anything else I can provide to help let me know. Thanks in advance for any input you all have.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its framed it will be fine but if rimless, i would likely skin an extra top on it.
At very least a small brace across it inside so the full edge of the rim is supported.

OP
OP
C

cakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rimless and this is my first tank that doesn't have a frame so I'm not sure about the strength of them. Do frames add that much rigidity to the tanks compared to rimless? In any case I'll just put an extra layer of some hardwood over it just to be safe. Rather the tank be 5/7" higher than worry about it.

Thanks for the input

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO not an issue. Consider that the tank designed for that stand bridged it as well, but with holes drilled in.

Rimless tanks are susceptible to bumps/irregularities in surfaces, voids not so much.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be fine, considering the rimless tank that goes on the stand sits in that same spot with holes in the glass!

Only thing I would do is put a piece of insulation foam or yoga mat between the stand and tank.

OP
OP
C

cakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with a preglued leveling mat to the undersid, that should be enough no? Or should I add some more cushion in addition to that?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leveling mat should be in contact with the tank, not a board the tank is sitting on. That defeats the purpose of mat, IMO.

OP
OP
C

cakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leveling mat should be in contact with the tank, not a board the tank is sitting on. That defeats the purpose of mat, IMO.
I agree, but what I meant is the tank has one glued to its bottom glass panel from the factory, I was asking if I should add more than what it comes with from the factory.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. You are good to go. Level the stand, add water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back