IS IT TRUE THAT 80% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE FISH LOSSES DUE TO DIESESE/PARASITES IN FIRST 8 MONTHS IF DONT QUARANTINE ?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I sell and have I bred various fish as another hobby. Also have to buy some here and there. It has been a good number over the years. This is where I notice the losses in shipping, and aggression. 25% disease still surprises me. In my case I would guess less than even 10%. In the last few months out of 50 fish I think maybe only lost 4 - 6 to disease. I suppose it would be different for everyone though. I see logic behind may be some seeing higher.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I suggest quarantine for everyone putting multiple fish in a DT - and then give them the best tools I can”

I’ll stick with that exact recommend for my new cycled tank threads

If the loss rate to be expected is much lower than 80%, I thank this thread for arriving at the % estimate in one page vs nine, without all the contention. The advice to quarantine fish destined for displays always seems to go over much smoother in this forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I suggest quarantine for everyone putting multiple fish in a DT - and then give them the best tools I can”

I’ll stick with that exact recommend for my new cycled tank threads

If the loss rate to be expected is much lower than 80%, I thank this thread for arriving at the % estimate in one page vs nine, without all the contention. The advice to quarantine fish destined for displays always seems to go over much smoother in this forum.
Yeah thankyou to the 6 people that replied in this thread and brandon thankyou for not derailing this thread aswell like the other with same title as 57 posts everyone giving their experiences and saying if lost fish to diesese/ parasites or not and just answered question and left it at that then you came in saying their experience doesn't count as it only their tank.saying they liars and can just buy new fish if one dies and no one will know, only people that had a reef tank longer than other people have been alive can give advice,need to have work threads advising others or doesn't count,started being nasty to others if didnt have same views as others,told me the thread I started in " fish discussion forum" didn't count as it wasn't in this " fish diesese forum" so I said sure I will put in this forum but I'm guessing because other thread had so many replys then this would have so few replys and 5 out the other 6 people that reply here also reply in other thread first then jay who only reply in this thread as far as I know,so other thread going smoothly and everyone courteous to each other then you wade in all guns blazing and say all of the above plus much more then say in this thread that it always goes more smoothly in this forum lol ,when I was you yourself that threw the spanner in the works then say this thread come to the conclusion that the % of fish that die from diesese/ parasites is less than your stated 80% by around 75% less,you getting that just from Jay's guess ? So basically there no need to ask anyone as you would of only took Jay's guess ? ( and to Jay,you do brilliant work helping so many people and im in no way against qt,as you probably guessed as tagged you quite few tines to help others,and to new reefers jay is very experienced and knows what he's talking about)

And the original thread was to get a rough gauge on whether the 80% is true or not and before you answered other thread and between and after " people's experience was more like 80% don't lose fish and that went roughly same % as Jay's guess of 25% but also could include older fish getting dieseses from new fish ( I guess because immunity low maybe )

And to everyone I'm not against qt,I've got a seperate hospital tank running longer than my dt and also filter in sump to use in an empty 3 foot tank if need pull all my fish out dt to medicate all at once .I just find it a nicer,friendlier and easier approach to just answer a thread and maybe have little discussion then let others read the thread and make their own mind up rather than trying to force my views onto others and be dang right nasty if others don't agree with my ways and install rules/ regulations and dis-count people's own answers and do my best to try sway others to think that the results was actually different than what they was as 8- 9 people replied didn't qt and didn't have loss to every 1 person that did qt and did or didn't also have loss.
It's very strange behaviour to think like this just to back up a statement I've made even if after so many people disagreed with the statement then come to this thread saying it goes so much more smoothly in this forum
Which is your way of making you think that you was correct in your first post saying it would be biased putting this thread in " fish discussion forum" which it wasn't and got so many peoples experiences so quickly and took 2 days in this " forum" to get 1 reply and only had 6 other people's reply in total and 5 of them already answered the other thread and I think only reply in this thread to get Jay's views .anyway hope everyone having a good day and gets great enjoyment from their tanks and research as much as you can and give the fish the best habitat you can whether that's qt or don't qt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I sell and have I bred various fish as another hobby. Also have to buy some here and there. It has been a good number over the years. This is where I notice the losses in shipping, and aggression. 25% disease still surprises me. In my case I would guess less than even 10%. In the last few months out of 50 fish I think maybe only lost 4 - 6 to disease. I suppose it would be different for everyone though. I see logic behind may be some seeing higher.
So - this is just a guess of course, and a guess considering just fish that were not quarantined.

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - this is just a guess of course, and a guess considering just fish that were not quarantined.

Jay
Out of that said 50, about 20 I think were bought from a few vendors I don't normally use. I had to use them to get a request for someone. Supposedly quarantined, but I quarantined anyway. I say 4 - 6 in reality the 3 were unknown cause. The other 3 I chalked up to internal issues. Should not of been sold. Ironically some friends who got me wild caught stuff, had no issues. They are "uronema magnets". I did quarantine those also. So 3/20 does hit the 15 % mark 30% if all disease. I do not think so though. In a whole is only 5 - 10% at most. 10 more out of 50 no qt from someone I know, and the other 20 were fry that I did not qt either from my own systems. All spread across different tanks. Thinking back on it was more than 50 including the wild caught ones. Maybe 59 I forget exactly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back