IS IT TRUE THAT 80% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE FISH LOSSES DUE TO DISEASE/PARASITES IN FIRST 8 MONTHS IF DONT QUARANTINE ?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question is: If this turned out to be true, would you QT?
I understand the point you’re trying to make, however, this question is a bit beyond hypothetical.
If this were indeed true, which it most certainly is not, then I could foresee two things occurring which would go hand in hand.
it would force everyone in the supply chain to change or this hobby simply wouldn’t exist, or at best be 10% of what it is now.
Speaking hypothetically of course. ;)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed the earlier exchange. This is not about belief if QT works or not. The question was if we did experimentation, or some huge lab verified beyond a doubt ( or whatever would be needed to convince you that this was a fact ) would you QT or not?
No then I would just assume I was magic and go on or perhaps think who ever ran the lab was an idiot.

You are trying to convince me something I have already done didn't happen. I have a bunch of fish behind me right now.
400 gallons worth. They came from Petcos, LFS and many places on the internet. These are just the tanks I have now. I have had others in the past. I didn't just decide to not QT. I haven't done it for the past 50 years I have kept fish tanks.

What is your opinion on people that try to convince you to do something you already know will have no benefit to you?
Should I do it just to get along and be a member of the crowd? Should I just lie and say I do it. Perhaps I should just keep to myself and go on with my day.
Yes I know
1637958090383.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep page 11 different than the past ones team, I know a few posters won’t but think about the benefit of changing this away from a dug-in procedural disagreement into something new tankers can read and gain best practices from.

WVNed we need to be able to read how you’d advise new setups to attain those skills above. What the timing, order of ops for fish additions

YY has absolutely won the sampling, the crowd does not agree 80% of those skipping preps will endure wasteful fish losses, so, for the rest of the thread everyone here with experience longer than some reefers have been alive please list the steps someone who recently completed a bottle bac cycle can use to proceed

everyone made great snipes at one another, now we should change course and aim experience in person into something plainly stated. A procedure or approach new tankers can use to guide stock rates would be ideal.

don’t let page eleven drift back into arguments, we ran plenty.

have each new poster here simply list those best steps, dont stray, make the rest of the pages and energy a repeatable list of steps new tankers can stock up

MN hinted they’re stocking too fast, mixing too quickly and I believe it, so be specific and list what they can add, how the maturation process plays out that allows them to reach max stock levels

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No then I would just assume I was magic and go on or perhaps think who ever ran the lab was an idiot.

You are trying to convince me something I have already done didn't happen. I have a bunch of fish behind me right now.
400 gallons worth. They came from Petcos, LFS and many places on the internet. These are just the tanks I have now. I have had others in the past. I didn't just decide to not QT. I haven't done it for the past 50 years I have kept fish tanks.

What is your opinion on people that try to convince you to do something you already know will have no benefit to you?
Should I do it just to get along and be a member of the crowd? Should I just lie and say I do it. Perhaps I should just keep to myself and go on with my day.
Yes I know
1637958090383.jpeg

I agree @WVNed

BTW I have not gotten any but the Petco near my house has really good healthy looking fish. I would buy a fish there.

IS IT TRUE THAT 80% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE FISH LOSSES DUE TO DISEASE/PARASITES IN FIRST 8 MONTHS IF DONT QUARANTINE ?​

That's the question being asked. It is not true is my answer.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I have not gotten any but the Petco near my house has really good healthy looking fish. I would buy a fish there.

IS IT TRUE THAT 80% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE FISH LOSSES DUE TO DISEASE/PARASITES IN FIRST 8 MONTHS IF DONT QUARANTINE ?​

That's the question being asked. It is not true is my answer.
How about new folks, which is where Brandon prowls.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than everyone having " snipes " at each other then after few pages change " direction,would been nice if everyone just give their own experiences and little info on how they do it rather qt or no qt then new reefers could of just read through the post really simply,it was going so smoothly from people who qt or don't qt doing exactly this then bam wallop kaboom it can't be true and people will lie as cant be proved if what they are saying is true because its experiences in their own tanks and they not started a work thread advising others not to qt and advised how to do it and cannot be tracked .plus much more negativity.
Then as expected the tone changed for the worse.
Now thread trying to get turned into how best to not qt and people have got to have had a reef tank longer than some been alive so now rules to the thread.

Again this thread just about if people lost fish due to diesese/parasites in first 8 months and optional if want to say how you achieved this .
Then sure new reefers can read through thread and see how many lose fish and how they lost fish or didnt lose fish and how they set tank up and kept it running,then new reefers can make informed decision how they wish to proceed.

But in reality it seems if doesnt go a certain way then discredit people and call them liars and install sets of rules but even if people did oblige I would guess first rule of no work threads giving new reefers advice on how to not qt would come into play .

Bizarre really bizarre ^_^

And thanks again to everybody that replied to the thread giving their own experiences whether it's just on their own tank or if worked at a lfs or zoo or whatever .much appreciated .

P.s : I don't own r2r or even this thread so cant stop what people write but if was a brand new reefer wanting to set up my very first reef tank,I know I would be reading this thread thinking wow whats going on here,and I get its very passionate subject but was just a question to see if could possibly be true or not.

Anyway hope all is well and enjoying there day and remember " it's nice to be nice " ^_^

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
page nine called

We're good n past issues, focus on move fwd

The thread reached maximum sample against the 80% prediction so mold it into something beneficial. Agreed it should be a discovery thread and what we can advise new tankers to do to apply the best retention science in the game. That'll cool off everyone and the collective experiences will be stated in ways new tankers can copy.

read this to see quarantine evaluated fairly

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that many people don't need to QT no longer means there is a way that can be learned where the tank disasters that are so common can be avoided.

It just means certain people get lucky now.
At the risk of inviting Karma to my tank... It's not luck. It's more an understanding of the risks involved with adding a specific specimen in relation to the condition of the environment and the knowledge to mitigate those risks. Sometimes that might mean QT is needed, others times QT might be a bigger risk than just acclimating the fish straight into the DT.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone PM me when there’s an answer to this QT/no QT thing. Been looking for 17ish years, can’t find it. I used to freshwater dip mine but apparently that’s a load of BS, seemed to work but hey ho. I lob a UV on mine, no probs since.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone PM me when there’s an answer to this QT/no QT thing. Been looking for 17ish years, can’t find it. I used to freshwater dip mine but apparently that’s a load of BS, seemed to work but hey ho. I lob a UV on mine, no probs since.
We won’t ever have the answer, I would be interested in how many fish die in qt. Would they have lived if not introduced to more stress, we will never know.
I also wonder how many fully qt fist from a vendor being shipped are lost. I read here in there about issues both methods. Qt vs non qt

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I scratch my name on the No disease related fish loss in 8 months wall? Should be some rubble from the train wreck.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ying yang It is indeed unfortunate that you didn't make this a poll. Its become extremely difficult to follow. I think though, the question has been answered - right?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - as to being a new reefer. When you do anything 'new' you're more likely to make mistakes. Whether its picking an unhealthy fish, an unscrupulous dealer ,etc etc.

The question as its asked (to my understanding) - is will people have 80 percent mortality. DUE TO DISEASE/PARASITES in the first 8 months if they don't quarantine. IMHO - whether a new reefer - or a 99 year old reefer the answer is 'no'.

Once I'm done with my experiment with nitrifying bacteria - I will take a 5 gallon tank, dry rock, everything clean. Add Bottled bacteria - according to directions - and my guess is there will be no Mortality, In another tank - I will take 'cycled' rock - add a clownfish pair - and my guess is there will be no mortality. In theory, the second tank will be much more than 8 months old. The first tank will be brand new

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I'm done with my experiment with nitrifying bacteria - I will take a 5 gallon tank, dry rock, everything clean. Add Bottled bacteria - according to directions - and my guess is there will be no Mortality, In another tank - I will take 'cycled' rock - add a clownfish pair - and my guess is there will be no mortality. In theory, the second tank will be much more than 8 months old. The first tank will be brand new
Way way back in the misty days of yesteryear Fritzyme really was a gawd send. I kid you not. If I only had known that the constant copper bath was kind of bad for it, things might have been better. :p

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still remember the days when we started with live rock. We may have gotten a fish with ich, experienced cyano, diatoms, cloudy water start ups but always seemed to make it through it all. Im still rockin liverock and have experienced all that but chugging on. Never lost a fish but sure know how to stress some ich into a cpl. Still instacycling tanks and filling them in record time routinely.
We ain't we talking about ocean rock;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Way way back in the misty days of yesteryear Fritzyme really was a gawd send. I kid you not. If I only had known that the constant copper bath was kind of bad for it, things might have been better. :p
I was there in 1982. So I get it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back