IS IT TRUE THAT 80% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE FISH LOSSES DUE TO DISEASE/PARASITES IN FIRST 8 MONTHS IF DONT QUARANTINE ?

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I lost was a qt lol. I was putting them directly in after drip acclimation, but read so many posts talking about qt for weeks, I figured I must be doing it wrong. it was a horrible experience!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic and responses. I guess I will make mine short...LOL. I do not QT, not because of cost, or space, but because I choose not to. Have I lost fish....sure here and there especially as as newbie, not to disease, but newbie mistakes. I do have ich in my tank, but rarely a outbreak. I rarely add new fish, my fish I do have, have been with me a long time.

A majority of my fish are wrasses, and they are imo very healthy and happy as are the rest of my fish.

I keep great water quality, feed well, and have a stable stress free environment for them. I have learned through the years to really pay attention to what fish you add to avoid aggression which is a huge stressor for all your fish.

One thing I won't do is tell another Reefer what to do or what not to do with his or her tank. I just enjoy my own piece of the reef, and let others do the same! ;):D

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no one likes the advice that I provide. I guess I am just not popular enough, because it seems that popularity is the sole qualification for your understanding. Better block me again, because in your world I have nothing to say.

This is the part that makes me take issue with so much that you have to say. I am on block so I doubt you will respond, but what is it that I did in 2019? I have only been on this board as my tag states Jun 2, 2020. Perhaps you know me IRL?

At least that I have that .. fish tank owner. I went through point by point. I stated what I disagreed with. Do I need to hire experts to assure that I am "right" according to you?

You are on a fish board. You are answering questions. You don't own your own aquarium.

I am IRL. I interact with people there. I have owned my own store. I have worked in many many others. I have been doing this since 1983. But please let me know what I am doing because it would be good to know what that is.

That does indeed make you popular.

Actually you have done that to Ying Yang, you were less than kind to him.

When I provide critiques I usually provide solutions. Sometimes it take a bit to get to that but I do if others want answers provide answers. Needless to say I am not popular and usually not forceful enough so those that see those traits as being useful in fish keeping rarely listen to me.

Maybe I don't post my discoveries here because of your response. Maybe I am working at a level that others have not yet reached. It seems funny to me that most of the things I have questions about I use PM to accomplish.

Being popular doesn't make you right it just makes you popular.

Best you put me back on block because nothing is to be gained from conversations with me.
Don't worry too much, I've been blocked for months.

If you don't agree with him, or stroke his massive ego, you get blocked.

Funny how someone with a 1 gallon vase "tank" that gets 'rip-cleaned" on a regular basis can talk about anything reef related, yet doesn't even own a reef, or even fish for that matter. Yet he knows it all, and if you disagree with him, or don't provide his special "work threads" , you don't know squat and get blocked.

I blocked brandon many many months ago as his drivel is always the same, it never changes. In the 3 years I've been on R2R, his opinions and views, and attitude never changes.

He talks to himself(because anyone with a brain can't figure out his drivel) because most people with a brain, disagree with him and get blocked.

SebM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic and responses. I guess I will make mine short...LOL. I do not QT, not because of cost, or space, but because I choose not to. Have I lost fish....sure here and there especially as as newbie, not to disease, but newbie mistakes. I do have ich in my tank, but rarely a outbreak. I rarely add new fish, my fish I do have, have been with me a long time.

A majority of my fish are wrasses, and they are imo very healthy and happy as are the rest of my fish.

I keep great water quality, feed well, and have a stable stress free environment for them. I have learned through the years to really pay attention to what fish you add to avoid aggression which is a huge stressor for all your fish.

One thing I won't do is tell another Reefer what to do or what not to do with his or her tank. I just enjoy my own piece of the reef, and let others do the same! ;):D
Spot on.

In all honesty, I doubt there are many marine tanks anywhere in the world that don't have dormant/latent ich, Uronema or any of the others present. It's almost impossible to keep your tank sterile and it's most definitely not practical for "home reefers".

There's never an outbreak without reason. That reason is stressed fish and there are dozens of root causes which make fish stressed.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to imagine a scenario in which I repeatedly mention the issue is one where the debate is how we instruct new tankers to proceed, and then from the woodwork we get solely reports on what folks do at their homes, who are never tasked with working to produce working reefs for other newbs using links we get to track out for the outcome

we get only perfect reports about someone’s home reef where only they provide perfect outcome feedback in the matter

imagine never having to have others rate a system we gave advice to, all outcome reports are by us from our own tanks, we solely report our own tanks and backpat each other for methods 100% opposite of the disease forum and it’s stickies.

imagine every post here seeming totally opposite of the daily needs and tasks from the disease forum and when I click on the disease forum, none of the pros posting here are doing any help work there, with all these self testimonies

reporting from the safe zone, check.

that’d be a frustrating thing to imagine right :)

let me guess, in all these no qt homes you can buy puppies, skip parvo vax toss em in the back yard and they grow up best in show each generation. Flowers you keep don’t wilt is that the case too

team

when someone produces a recently cycled dry start bottle bac reef, how should they proceed to stock it with fish? Change perspective from me to they for a sec, imagine you’re advising new tanks in lots of 20 for best practices that don’t waste fish. Post on that advice a few pages pls

this thread exists for one reason: right when I’m advising someone not to add six mixed fish to their new tank YingYang wants to tell them there are other options which allow it, I tell the posters you have an 80% chance of loss within eight months if you do, and then YY goes and makes validation reports in all caps in all places other than the disease forum. Watch the advice new tankers get from YY, it’ll be a wish wash of telling them to do what they think is best, as new reefers with no practice, amid a very light recommend to maybe qt if they feel ok about it.

the race is me trying to temper new tankers and you guys telling them to fill ‘er up, if the fish die just buy more.

one click takes us to the disease forum and nothing, nothing you guys paint is going on there and you’re not tasked with helping anyone either. Reports from the safe zone.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BVF

do you see any operating key terms, outcomes, actions there? arent all internet jokesters secretly complying intently behind the scenes?

Im glad Jay saved ya. Rowereef was just about to though, by letting you know he doesn’t have to qt.

BVF

you had a sub eight month tank and got an outbreak, my stats are terrible.

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BVF

do you see any operating key terms, outcomes, actions there? arent all internet jokesters secretly complying intently behind the scenes?

Im glad Jay saved ya. Rowereef was just about to though, by letting you know he doesn’t have to qt.

BVF

you had a sub eight month tank and got an outbreak, my stats are terrible. Without the find all threads feature y’all seem invincible. And funny
What on earth are you going on about?

You are just plucking random posts (or are they your work threads) and calling others out on them.

You have zero merit to give guidance on fish health - You have no fish. You have no quarantine.

That whole thread is, Jay, someone very known for his skills in this hobby helping someone who requested an identification of a disease and a gameplan. Jay gave advice and the fish unfortunately recieved treatment too late to save. Your linking to it and actually calling it out in such a manner that it offensive.

You need some sort of global time out from the internet - Its gone to your head.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why won’t you answer the simple question I repeat ask about what’s the best advice for new reefers? Because you don’t advise any in pattern, aren’t accountable for anything, and are part of the groupthink flow here. We wouldn’t have known he’s an ardent quarantiner in a new reef without some leveling info. Let me check your motivation, one sec brb. I want to see if you advocate disease control in new tanks or not, we cant discern that from the pile on post above.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you literally do no work in others reefs, so your input here has no basis in what we should advise new tankers to do. I found your post 100% unhelpful to the thread. You should take a break from joining into threads with destructive input

I still cannot get from anything you’ve posted to the site what your advice to new tankers fresh off a bottle bac cycle would be, mind inputting that info? I can ask for it four times specifically if that helps any

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you calling a post on a forum created by random people asking for advice "Public work threads"?
Are you calling peoples experiences written onto the internet ona public forum board "work links"?
Are you seriously saying you "manage" peoples threads simply because you comment on them?
Are you calling posts people start asking for advice about cycling "Your cycle threads"?

Just curious, it would help me understand how you word things - You come across like you are paid by this forum to "WORK" yet im pretty sure you're just another random like myself commenting on a public forum about a hobby. No offence intended - Just curious on how you word things, i find your posts difficult to read.

Why won’t you answer the simple question
Ironic isnt it....................

Why won’t you answer the simple question I repeat ask about what’s the best advice for new reefers?
Currently - My best advice to new reefers or old existing ones is to avoid your drivvle.

For thos eof us that actually keep and care for fish and have a legitimate stance on fish health tocarry on advising eachother in the friendly manor that MOST do on this forum. You provide no positives in any way shape or form and im actually a little shocked theres been on intervention from mods at this point.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even read your latest posts and can’t get a clear answer from you, you seem to make follow up posts after me in cycling threads as a prime motivation for posting here, so your words haven’t added anything we can use to lower the degree of fish loss for new tanks. You merely dropped in to flame, not contribute, nice post legacy.

you reef online by snippets only, never consulted to start tanks, run live time jobs, or see things through to an endpoint. I notice you don’t write discovery threads or bring new findings to the hobby.

milquetoast all in. Nothing you posted here is within user agreement terms, you bait then hint for mod interactions? Your presence here was 100% negative.

again I’ll state, I advise new cyclers to focus on fish disease right at the start to avoid massive loss rates I see emerging for new cycled tanks, your attempt to derail the thread shouldn’t take away from that fact.

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even read your latest posts and can’t get a clear answer from you, you seem to make follow up posts after me in cycling threads as a prime motivation for posting here, so your words haven’t added anything we can use to lower the degree of fish loss for new tanks. You merely dropped in to flame, not contribute, nice post legacy.
Brandon - Lets not make random stuff up here.

Click my profile picture and then the link that states FIND ALL POSTS - Youll see i never if ever comment on cycling posts. In fact the majoirty of my posts are regarding MOBIUS and fish health. There is one post i made on a thread regarding DIATOMS explaining what they are.

Lets not make drivvle up - Theres plenty present here.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice back step. Since you didn’t come to illuminate on best practices for new tankers aren’t we done? You popped in, added to flame, no new tanker can use your posts to learn best practices for disease control, not even if they read your post history, you didn’t add anything useful we can relay to others. How about move on?

by never making threads that advise a procedure or warn of a % risk you have no tests underway, no accountability for claims at all, that’s a very safe mode to make proof posts from.

here’s the opposite

thats being accountable for a clear stance. Try it sometime, it can be scary to post specifics and then have others feedback on them live time. The follow up inspections and chats I gain from sticking my neck out for a clear test and specific timing assigned in others reefs lead me to the 80% I advised that Ying Yang found so easily debatable

my advice comes from working solely in others tanks, thats a foreign concept to you and I can see why. Your summary of my input does not match testimony from any page on those threads.

I do work, accountable specific work, in others tanks and nothing in these last six pages is swaying my 80% risk advice. I’m being evaluated by folks who reef comfortably at home and if they kill fish by skipping disease preps we won’t know it, no third parties are present to back up their claims.

Last edited:

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost fish in my first 8 months, but due to lack of knowledge and care, not disease. And I believe that statement is mixing all cause together to inflate the numbers. My tanks is about 10 years old and didnt have any disease since a small ich issue with no death about 8 years ago. no QT for me.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be more helpful is if you linked a thread where for two years new tankers tested that advice and we could read their evals.

prediction: by page ten here we get no such work thread and the recommend based on what able reefers did in one tank in their homes continues. I think you guys omit the truth to make your attempts look better, disease killed your initial fish that’s just the rosy summary to stay in step with this crowd. If you make a clear stance on something, anything, and make a work thread and let others post their evals- I’ll be amazed lets see just one example from anyone here on the seven pages for something we prescribed to others that got measured. This concept makes no sense to you all I can see it plain as day.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly, truly believe my critics here are incapable of leading others in any aspect of measure we’d want to undertake. By never making a claim and then putting it to measure in a hundred other reefs, and logging those links, the safe zoning stagnates reef science advancement but that doesn’t mean your reef at home isn’t awesome. It means comfort zones, comfort zones, comfort zones.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back