IS IT TRUE THAT 80% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE FISH LOSSES DUE TO DISEASE/PARASITES IN FIRST 8 MONTHS IF DONT QUARANTINE ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than everyone having " snipes " at each other then after few pages change " direction,would been nice if everyone just give their own experiences and little info on how they do it rather qt or no qt then new reefers could of just read through the post really simply,it was going so smoothly from people who qt or don't qt doing exactly this then bam wallop kaboom it can't be true and people will lie as cant be proved if what they are saying is true because its experiences in their own tanks and they not started a work thread advising others not to qt and advised how to do it and cannot be tracked .plus much more negativity.
Then as expected the tone changed for the worse.
Now thread trying to get turned into how best to not qt and people have got to have had a reef tank longer than some been alive so now rules to the thread.

Again this thread just about if people lost fish due to diesese/parasites in first 8 months and optional if want to say how you achieved this .
Then sure new reefers can read through thread and see how many lose fish and how they lost fish or didnt lose fish and how they set tank up and kept it running,then new reefers can make informed decision how they wish to proceed.

But in reality it seems if doesnt go a certain way then discredit people and call them liars and install sets of rules but even if people did oblige I would guess first rule of no work threads giving new reefers advice on how to not qt would come into play .

Bizarre really bizarre ^_^

And thanks again to everybody that replied to the thread giving their own experiences whether it's just on their own tank or if worked at a lfs or zoo or whatever .much appreciated .

P.s : I don't own r2r or even this thread so cant stop what people write but if was a brand new reefer wanting to set up my very first reef tank,I know I would be reading this thread thinking wow whats going on here,and I get its very passionate subject but was just a question to see if could possibly be true or not.

Anyway hope all is well and enjoying there day and remember " it's nice to be nice " ^_^
My genuine answer is I watch the fish for Atleast 30 minutes (Usually an hour) before I buy it and if it ticks all the boxes of “Peaceful” “Reef safe or Reef Safe With Caution” “Healthy” I find the final one to be critical and if I had to QT at any point I probably would (Or I’d turn my DT into a FOWLR that looks like a Reef). When I get the fish all I do is temperature acclimate and drop into the tank. Here’s how I did it last night with a flashing tilefish;
So first, I saw the tilefish last weekend and stared at it thinking it was beautiful but the issue was it was flashing (There was no other tilefish in there), so I reserved it and went back yesterday. That gave me a week to research these guys I could not find anything other than why they flash, where they’re from, and that they need a lid but I knew he was eating in the store already since he had been in there for 3 weeks prior and he was still VERY fat. I went back and he was doing just fine, he was swimming just at the bottom of the tank, I then watched him for around an hour to just double check everything was alright. Then the guy at my LFS bagged him up (I put complete trust in these guys to care for these fish in the way they should be cared for). Once I got home I then temperature acclimated him for 20 minutes since he had been in the bag already for about an hour and 30 minutes so I didn’t want to risk ammonia spiking with him. After the 20 minutes was up, I undid the bag and just dropped him and the water straight into the DT. I made sure nothing was able to stress him out and it didn’t because for some reason, everyone else was bickering on the right side of the tank while this guy was chilling on the left side and swimming - No signs of flashing or anything. He went into the tank, hovered for a bit and then went into the cave where he still poked his head out for a good hour and kept going to the back of the cave and burrowing, I have never seen a fish with so much personality in such a small body (Even my Blenny and goby can’t match this guys personality). I will keep an eye out today for aggression from the tang and jade wrasse (Usually when I introduce a new fish those two are the first to go after it but they have yet to go for the tilefish).

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429
I don’t think that 80% of all reefers have losses if they don’t quarantine, but certainly believe it’s a high number. People don’t say they have a problem until they do. And the sample size here can only be used to estimate all of them.
My first round of fish lasted 2 months. I didn’t quarantine and even when fish were dying I did nothing. Lesson learned.
When my fallow was finally over, I did it the right way: keep fish in qt and observe for any possible disease, and treat for whatever shows up. I’ll do a preventative dewormer on my fish too just to be safe.
No disease problems in the dt since. Only had the start of brook on my clowns due to improper fallow (so back to the qt they went). Been quite some time now since the clowns first went in and not a ich cyst, fluke, or anything since. Working on getting my firefish through the qt now, and then I will be done adding fish.

It’s all about luck of the draw. Some fish will be sick when you get them, others won’t. Some may even wait until they’re out of qt for it to show up. Do I think that everyone who doesn’t qt will wind up with disease? No. But I ask, is it really worth the risk?
Part of it is having an initial loss too. If you go your entire reefing career with no losses and no qt, it won’t make sense to. But when something does go wrong, you see the importance. I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong for qt or not, just what I think the process is for most people.
Is this not what the group is for anyway? For help, support, shared knowledge or suggestion. Just like raising children, or anything we do for that matter. We all have our own way of doing things, and definitely entitled to our own opinion. Sounds like you learned through an experience, and choose to qt now. All good.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think luck is brought in with both no qt and with qt. I have found several fish dead due to copper, fluke/deworming treatments in my LFS so I think it’s luck of the draw with just about everything in this hobby. Will these fish get along? 50/50, is this fish reef safe? 50/50, is it better to qt or not qt? 50/50
Theres no confirmed answer to any of these questions but I think it’s always better when it’s first hand experience and not passed on from the internet.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My genuine answer is I watch the fish for Atleast 30 minutes (Usually an hour) before I buy it and if it ticks all the boxes of “Peaceful” “Reef safe or Reef Safe With Caution” “Healthy” I find the final one to be critical and if I had to QT at any point I probably would (Or I’d turn my DT into a FOWLR that looks like a Reef). When I get the fish all I do is temperature acclimate and drop into the tank. Here’s how I did it last night with a flashing tilefish;
So first, I saw the tilefish last weekend and stared at it thinking it was beautiful but the issue was it was flashing (There was no other tilefish in there), so I reserved it and went back yesterday. That gave me a week to research these guys I could not find anything other than why they flash, where they’re from, and that they need a lid but I knew he was eating in the store already since he had been in there for 3 weeks prior and he was still VERY fat. I went back and he was doing just fine, he was swimming just at the bottom of the tank, I then watched him for around an hour to just double check everything was alright. Then the guy at my LFS bagged him up (I put complete trust in these guys to care for these fish in the way they should be cared for). Once I got home I then temperature acclimated him for 20 minutes since he had been in the bag already for about an hour and 30 minutes so I didn’t want to risk ammonia spiking with him. After the 20 minutes was up, I undid the bag and just dropped him and the water straight into the DT. I made sure nothing was able to stress him out and it didn’t because for some reason, everyone else was bickering on the right side of the tank while this guy was chilling on the left side and swimming - No signs of flashing or anything. He went into the tank, hovered for a bit and then went into the cave where he still poked his head out for a good hour and kept going to the back of the cave and burrowing, I have never seen a fish with so much personality in such a small body (Even my Blenny and goby can’t match this guys personality). I will keep an eye out today for aggression from the tang and jade wrasse (Usually when I introduce a new fish those two are the first to go after it but they have yet to go for the tilefish).
I also do it this way:
I have a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and a Naoko Fairy Wrasse, both are in my 18” cube (20g total) Red Sea Max Nano. This isn’t a long term idea, however so far the Naoko is coming up to almost a year in that tank and the Leopard is coming up to about 4 months in that tank. Neither of them are big enough to go in with the Jade Wrasse or Black Margin Fairy Wrasse. The Naoko is around 1.5, pushing 2” and the Leopard is about 1”, both fish use the whole tank but they don’t actually throw themselves into the glass or rocks, They just swim round calmly in the tank whilst they get a bit bigger to go in with the 3-4” wrasse. I have a plan to move both into the 4’ tank at the same time however I think that may fail since the naoko is bigger than the leopard. There’s about 6 fish in that tank (I know over stocked) and half of them are wrasse. That’s the same thing in the larger tank too haha (You can see what my favourite family of fish is). So basically I will put a fish that gets too big for my nano into the nano if it’s not 2” or bigger (Or we need to get the aggressor out of the larger tank, the plan was going to be put the tilefish into my nano and then once the jade is out put him into the 4’ tank but my nano has less hiding spots than the 4’ does so we put him straight into the larger, final tank).

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, did anyone here sit down and spend a day with your families on Thanksgiving or were you on here yelling at each other?

I had a great dinner with family, Grand Kids etc. and my computer was 100 miles away, unplugged, dark and quiet.
My fish were also quiet I assume because I didn't see them or feed them. (I will give them some turkey today)

I personally do not go by Brandons advice because I have been doing this long enough to make my own mistakes. But I never admonish Brandon for his advice. It is his opinion.

He quite often tells people that I cause many people's tanks to crash with my advice. Thats fine and he could also say I am senile and bald, but it wouldn't bother me.

I am a big boy and that stuff just bounces off my bald head. I am sure Brandon is just trying to help people.
I try to give my advice and hope people don't just takes part of it like "don't quarantine" and feel that is the secret. It is not.

I did work some Victoria Secret photo shoots but never learned their secret.
These "methods" including mine and maybe Brandons involve much more than just quarantining or offering up tea leaves to the moon.

I am against quarantining and medication 90% of the time, but that other 10% is important. Some tanks owned by some people need quarantining and meds.

IMO quarantining is just one factor but it goes along with so many other things that we take for granted. A fish in a bare container will become sick even if you give him the three Covid shots with the booster.

Fish are not like dogs. Dogs have a little more smarts, fish are stupid and run by instinct.

A dog also has a much different immune system as it is warm blooded like most of us are.
If we give a fish the proper living conditions and food, in most cases it will be fine as disease doesn't bother fish until we get involved.

Our job is to keep that fish in the state of health it was in in the sea when it was immune and healthy.

"We" make the fish sick. This hobby has been here since 1970 and we still have as many sick fish as we had since then. We have more medications and quarantine procedures which unfortunately, make fish sicker.

Many of us still can't grasp the fact that fish need the same conditions or at least mindset they had in the sea. Most of that is a secure living place where they can't see us and food with living bacteria in it which 100% controls their immunity and health.

The invention of PVC elbows really killed many fish.

Have a great day after Thanksgiving and give your fish some stuffing. :p

Last edited:

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do an observational qt on all newly bought fish for two weeks length of time and also to get fish eating properley away from other fish.

I am a newbie reefer and get the fish from LFS where they already quarantine the fish. It’s been just a couple of months and only one fatality so far due to aggression (chromis). one died and I donated the aggresor back to the same store. The remaining three are getting along well.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

look how vastly different this same thread and dissenting behavior was when placed in the disease forum

Jay arrived at a lesser % risk, and it didn’t take ten pages of insults and asking me about my pico reef while posting fifteen pics of his home reefs to arrive there. Jay spoke, readers took notes, and didn’t rise up in unison against quarantine for fourteen pages.

in the end the recommend to initiate quarantine won, simple as that.

It’s amazing the same thread simply cut and pasted in two different forums got polar opposite outcomes and recommends. fish that are destined for mixed species displays are directly advised to quarantine.

from the thread in the disease forum:
”If I made a guess - a person buying pet store grade, SE Asian fish at a local "regular" pet store and not quarantining, is going to see about 80% mortality in a year: the 15% baseline, plus 40% inherent losses due to poor quality fish, leaving 25% loss from uncontrolled disease (which may include older fish exposed to sick fish).”

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
”If I made a guess - a person buying pet store grade, SE Asian fish at a local "regular" pet store and not quarantining, is going to see about 80% mortality in a year: the 15% baseline, plus 40% inherent losses due to poor quality fish, leaving 25% loss from uncontrolled disease (which may include older fish exposed to sick fish).
These percentage quotes in these threads fascinate me. Those percentages are probably correct in a Noob tank. I don't know. In my tank they are 100% wrong because I don't lose any fish to disease.

We lose fish because we keep them incorrectly, not because fish are sicker now. I have never found that fish disease is any worse than it was 50 years ago.

It's the advice we get on the internet that is sick, not necessarily the fish, which are fine.

In a healthy, properly run tank, disease is a non issue and never comes up.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those percentages are probably correct in a Noob tank.

Paul, thats all we cared to know. Everything else is irrelevant and can be omitted so your message is clearer and less highlighting of your own reef which 110% of readers here knew about years ago.

this thread, in this forum, is where we debate. That thread, in that forum, is where we are quiet and reserved in dissent obviously.

Paul if there was one person on this board I wish would go set up a disease forum and run it like Jay and HF do, it’s you. It would be very humbling I’m thinking for you to live time work new tanks where absolutely nothing about your reef would have any bearing on events. We aren’t ever ever going to get to see that happen, correct?

at least when horn-tooting use new pics, not from 2010 reposted nine times

when people see your pics they’re thinking I saw that same mandarin feeder in 09, 11, ‘14-16, 19, 2020 and 2021 :)

I make a formal bet your tank might not even exist lol I haven’t seen a non rehashed pic of it in eight years. In fact the pics look like Polaroid scans from the eighties admit thats moderately funny based on trending.

later on today you’ll be uploading pics in other posts, or on other forums, that you’ve already uploaded over a hundred times-thats the bet. They say there’s nothing new under the LED sun.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your hyperbole about what I said about your method, here’s the truth any link provided will show:

until Tamberav pointed out to me you advise quarantine (without meds, as observation) I had no idea you did advise that. Your posts are so much filled with reposted pics, and advice that tanks alone suppress disease without initial preps, I’d have never known what you do advocate in your books. The message is so intrenched flip floppy I cannot pick it out of your posts. To heck with page ten lol this is the free dissension thread that other one has already released class and the students sent home with the proper reading material. This thread here is a total joke because the energy against advised methods is isolated here, by itself, where no public tanks are being worked live time and because respondents in the same post in the other forum were tame like students taking notes.

To see how the real world works with new pics, new material, new challenges that represent today’s new reefs: readers, click the disease forum.

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay arrived at a lesser % risk, and it didn’t take ten pages of insults and asking me about my pico reef while posting fifteen pics of his home reefs to arrive there. Jay spoke, readers took notes, and didn’t rise up in unison against quarantine for fourteen pages.
Jay's numbers are based on commercial understanding. There is a good amount of bleed over, but it is still that, his perspective. His is not the word of God. People respect what he says because he is honest and forthright about what he sees. Most people don't question his motives nor his figures, but that doesn't mean that they agree with his assesment of any particular application. I am 100% sure Jay would say the same of any of us. This is what makes life awesome, biodiversity.

At some point in your life you realize people have different perspectives and different goals. That makes their imagined and real outcomes different, and so to with the solutions to their problems.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have Paul’s book , only because I’m cheap. So my family like Christmas list and this year I put the book on my list. I know I will get it because it cheaper then everything else on the list. Knowing my family I’m going to get a copy.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have Paul’s book , only because I’m cheap. So my family like Christmas list and this year I put the book on my list. I know I will get it because it cheaper then everything else on the list. Knowing my family I’m going to get a copy.
I have it ... nothing important in it. Brandon is right he's just senile and bald.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how disagreement posts in the other forum are little squeaks, easily handled in one sentence by the teacher, but here-a roar.

Im now unsubbed to this joke thread and solely watching the other one.

dissension there is being handled immediately, shockingly calm, rendering counter arguments weak like a whistling tire with a hole in the sidewall

this thread here? Resolved, confident, qt is bad and 99% of examples here are by folks who skip preps. Folks back pat each other here heartily for skipping any preps, noted. Over there? Compliance, shy disagreements not fully stated, that’s what I thought.

how many months did this take?

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the thread in the disease forum:
”If I made a guess - a person buying pet store grade, SE Asian fish at a local "regular" pet store and not quarantining, is going to see about 80% mortality in a year: the 15% baseline, plus 40% inherent losses due to poor quality fish, leaving 25% loss from uncontrolled disease (which may include older fish exposed to sick fish).”
Seriously dude, you are delusional. SMDH

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back