Is it worth doing business with LA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been conflicted with Live Aquaria over the past few months. On the good side, most of my stuff has arrived in good shape. In fact, I have some bubble coral from them that is just amazing. One entire order spent a weekend at FedEx and they still made me photograph 50 snails to get a refund... so, basically shells. My last order, a pistol shrimp that arrived was a gigantic green tank, not the little red guy pictured. My bad, I should have read the fine print. Other little issues... a sickly mandarin etc that I chalked up to shipping.

Late last night, I ordered some fish. This morning, some crabs and shrimp I'd been wanting came into stock. I started a chat to add them to the order before it ships tomorrow. It was a flat out "no." Once the order is processed into the system, nothing can be added. I can't cancel it either. I can't combine shipping on two orders. No possible option to add another $50+ in items to my order. That doesn't make any sort of business sense to me.

After purchasing corals from top rate merchants I've found in these forums, I find it harder and harder to justify going back to LA.

With no quality local LFS and a gut feeling I need to move on from LA... Who's your recommended online shop?
@hey_hey_heeyyyyyy! Good morning and Happy New Years Eve day! I apologize if you have not been satisfied with the service you have received from our team. We do need to deliver not so popular responses to customers to ensure we are being consistent and fair to our customers. Requiring images for losses reported within the guarantee timeframes is a requirement, however I agree that you should not be asked to photograph 50 snails if there was a delay--I'm sorry this happened.
We understand it is frustrating, however, requests to modify or cancel orders once they are submitted and sent to the vendor is extremely difficult and we have found it necessary to become quite firm with these requests. Our fulfillment processes are very time sensitive and we just could not continue to constantly interrupt the flow, as it causes unnecessary errors and oversights.
We are hopeful you will continue to trust in LiveAquaria. We strive to provide you with the service you deserve and deliver healthy specimens to you! Please never hesitate to PM if you feel we are not hearing you or living up to your expectations. Have a good day!

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hey_hey_heeyyyyyy! Good morning and Happy New Years Eve day! I apologize if you have not been satisfied with the service you have received from our team. We do need to deliver not so popular responses to customers to ensure we are being consistent and fair to our customers. Requiring images for losses reported within the guarantee timeframes is a requirement, however I agree that you should not be asked to photograph 50 snails if there was a delay--I'm sorry this happened.
We understand it is frustrating, however, requests to modify or cancel orders once they are submitted and sent to the vendor is extremely difficult and we have found it necessary to become quite firm with these requests. Our fulfillment processes are very time sensitive and we just could not continue to constantly interrupt the flow, as it causes unnecessary errors and oversights.
We are hopeful you will continue to trust in LiveAquaria. We strive to provide you with the service you deserve and deliver healthy specimens to you! Please never hesitate to PM if you feel we are not hearing you or living up to your expectations. Have a good day!
Hi, I noticed online that you do not offer refunds on supplies....is that true? Also I ordered a AI Nero 5 recently which is $200, I saw that it shipped with FedEx smartpost, I do not think any of your competitors would ship a high value item with such a shipping service. Now, with USPS weeks behind, I could be waiting a long time to receive my pump and if I buy from somewhere else in the meantime, I can't even return it for a refund.

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shoelaceike Hello! Yes, as noted https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=547

If you are not 100% satisfied with your aquarium supply purchase, you can return it within 30 days for store credit* for the purchase price of the returned item(s).

Please Note: Return of electrical equipment for exchange or store credit is limited to 30 days from the date of purchase. Beyond 30 days, please contact the manufacturer for repair or replacement as covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Returned products must be unopened and in the original packaging to receive full store credit. Products that have been opened, used, or lightly used, will incur a 15% processing fee. Upon receipt of the returned product, store credit will be applied, minus the processing fee.

If you would like to PM your order information I will check your order status and discuss your situation further.
Thanks!

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shoelaceike Hello! Yes, as noted https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=547

If you are not 100% satisfied with your aquarium supply purchase, you can return it within 30 days for store credit* for the purchase price of the returned item(s).

Please Note: Return of electrical equipment for exchange or store credit is limited to 30 days from the date of purchase. Beyond 30 days, please contact the manufacturer for repair or replacement as covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Returned products must be unopened and in the original packaging to receive full store credit. Products that have been opened, used, or lightly used, will incur a 15% processing fee. Upon receipt of the returned product, store credit will be applied, minus the processing fee.

If you would like to PM your order information I will check your order status and discuss your situation further.
Thanks!
Thanks. I don't have an interest in store credit. I guess i will just hope that it gets here sooner then later.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last purchase was in May, at this point I don't plan on making another, I've been a customer since they were Flying Fish Express and am at somewhere around 100 orders over the years. Truely saddens me.
I also ordered from Flying Fish Express. Great company!

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
So wait you are telling me that I can order aquarium supplies from you and if I return it I get store credit minus a restocking fee or I could order the exact same things from Amazon, get free shipping (likely 2 day), a return policy that has no questions asked and they pay for the return with no restocking fee, oh and also the same thing likely costs less as well. Yep real hard choice to make and it is not like I am choosing a small business over a large one either. Or wait lets talk fish, Liveaquaria has increased costs of fish well above what they have increased in wholesale prices over the past 9 months and over local prices as well, for instance right now on sale an ORA Orchid Dottyback is $34.99 from Liveaquaria, or I could go pick one up from a LFS in the area and pay between $12 and $25 for the same fish plus I don't have to worry about it arriving dead unless I do something stupid. Perhaps lets look at something else, oh wait this is going to take a bit since there are exactly 0 large angels, butterflies, wrasses, triggerfish currently in stock and only 2 tangs currently in stock, so how about a Flame Hawk, currently retailing at LiveAquaria for $64.99, can be bought local for around $45 and wholesales for around $23. You guys have lost your freaking minds so lets go on to DiversDen for a mere $199.99 you can get a "bonded pair" of Green Mandarins or you could go down to your local LFS and find a pair for less than $40, they are not hard to sex and as long as you don't buy 2 males are "bonded", so for the honor of buying from Divers Den you can pay 5 times your LFS price sending the money to a large corporation instead of keeping it local, pay 10 times the wholesale price and get two fish that have no been medicated in any way (they are disease resistant to begin with). In the past 9 months you guys have lost your freaking minds and seem to be determined to try to set the market price for fish which mostly seems to be preying upon those without easy access to a LFS or those who are new to the hobby. Rather than being the upstanding company I have loved from than two decades you have become little better than an old favorite punching bag that was once known as Aquacon, emphasis on the con.

ORA® Captive-Bred Orchid Dottyback: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums (liveaquaria.com)
Hawkfish (liveaquaria.com)
LiveAquaria® - Synchiropus splendidus

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wait you are telling me that I can order aquarium supplies from you and if I return it I get store credit minus a restocking fee or I could order the exact same things from Amazon, get free shipping (likely 2 day), a return policy that has no questions asked and they pay for the return with no restocking fee, oh and also the same thing likely costs less as well. Yep real hard choice to make and it is not like I am choosing a small business over a large one either. Or wait lets talk fish, Liveaquaria has increased costs of fish well above what they have increased in wholesale prices over the past 9 months and over local prices as well, for instance right now on sale an ORA Orchid Dottyback is $34.99 from Liveaquaria, or I could go pick one up from a LFS in the area and pay between $12 and $25 for the same fish plus I don't have to worry about it arriving dead unless I do something stupid. Perhaps lets look at something else, oh wait this is going to take a bit since there are exactly 0 large angels, butterflies, wrasses, triggerfish currently in stock and only 2 tangs currently in stock, so how about a Flame Hawk, currently retailing at LiveAquaria for $64.99, can be bought local for around $45 and wholesales for around $23. You guys have lost your freaking minds so lets go on to DiversDen for a mere $199.99 you can get a "bonded pair" of Green Mandarins or you could go down to your local LFS and find a pair for less than $40, they are not hard to sex and as long as you don't buy 2 males are "bonded", so for the honor of buying from Divers Den you can pay 5 times your LFS price sending the money to a large corporation instead of keeping it local, pay 10 times the wholesale price and get two fish that have no been medicated in any way (they are disease resistant to begin with). In the past 9 months you guys have lost your freaking minds and seem to be determined to try to set the market price for fish which mostly seems to be preying upon those without easy access to a LFS or those who are new to the hobby. Rather than being the upstanding company I have loved from than two decades you have become little better than an old favorite punching bag that was once known as Aquacon, emphasis on the con.

ORA® Captive-Bred Orchid Dottyback: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums (liveaquaria.com)

The good from this is it opens the way for a decent competitor.

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where I live fish and frozen food are more than double the prices of DD/LA, so even with the shipping/tax/box fees it’s still the best value:quality option for me.

I’ve only ordered from DD and have had positive experiences so I can’t comment on the regular LA stuff from California. Sure it’s more expensive but the husbandry/care is better. My logic is if they see the Wisconsin facility generates more revenue with less complaints/DOAs, they’ll work on expanding that side of the business.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back