Is it worth it to set up a 5 gallon mini sump/refugium for a 15 gallon reef tank?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans for a 15 gallon reef tank that I already have the tank itself to and I wanted to set up a small refugium to try and remove as many bad nutrients as possible. Is it worth it to make one from scratch for a tank this small?

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, it's almost always better to go with more total water volume. If the 15 gallon is drilled, then I would go for the sump/refugium.
The drilling is really the only thing stopping me from doing it, since I have no idea how to do that

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of adding a 10 gallon sump to my 15 gallon tank. I'm going with an overflow box instead of drilling only because the tank is already running and I don't want to move it away from the wall to drill it.
I recently drilled a ten gallon tank with a set of glass bits I bought on Amazon for $15 bucks. I was pleased with how easy it was and would not hesitate to drill again. Watch a few YouTube videos on drilling and go for it.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's worth it to add a sump, even for a smaller tank. Anything that adds water volume and grows some algae is a good investment. If you don't want to drill your tank, a hang on back fuge like this one, https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/small-13-aquafuge2-external-hang-on-refugium.html is good option. Even a basic hang on back filter with some cheato in it will remove more nitrate and phosphate than not having one.

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's worth it to add a sump, even for a smaller tank. Anything that adds water volume and grows some algae is a good investment. If you don't want to drill your tank, a hang on back fuge like this one, https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/small-13-aquafuge2-external-hang-on-refugium.html is good option. Even a basic hang on back filter with some cheato in it will remove more nitrate and phosphate than not having one.
ooo I like the look of that one, especially since it doesn't look like it takes up a ton of space. Might invest in that once I begin putting the tank together.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooo I like the look of that one, especially since it doesn't look like it takes up a ton of space. Might invest in that once I begin putting the tank together.
You'll reget it. That's what I'm changing from. I find the hob is a pain to clean and service the chaeto. Creates alot of bubbles in the tank and greatly limits your skimmer choices.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the large (5gal) CPR HOB for more than 3 years now and it's grows cheato in abundance for my 29 gal. 24" straight line LEDS fit perfectly.

Only after adding a mandarin and having to over feed did I add a 10 gal DIY sump, but kept the CPR which is also a pod factory

The only complaint I have about HOB sumps is that they don't surface skim.

I pulled my skimmer. While debatable, I am in the camp that you don't need a skimmer in a nano . Water changes will do the trick and IMO nano skimmers are not as effective that those in larger tanks.

My NO3 has never gotten above 3ppm, usually <1.0 requiring me to up the feedings and PO4 hovers around 0.08 but I run GFO to keep it in check.

If you can do an under the tank sump, go for it. My DIY sump and DIY overflow (although I did use a CPR for the in the tank side) was a fun and rewarding project. It did take me about 3 months to dial in the flow, but once I got that right, it's been great.

One huge plus in the sump was being able to add a BRS DIY ATO. Using kalk, I have been able to dial in steady water parameters and my corals are showing their appreciation.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides water volume it will give you a place for your heater and other equipment ..
Will make a much nicer MDT .

And don't be afraid to Drill ..
Practice on a piece of glass ..
As long as you go slow it is Very Easy ...

Would love to see pictures when your done

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the sump. Drilling an aquarium sounds much more intimidating than it is. I cut an old fence board and used as a template. Just take your time.

Back