Is it worth prophylactically treating fish in QT if you don’t quarantine rocks, coral, shrimp,etc?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’ve been doing a ton of reading and going back and forth between prophylactically treating fish during QT or just observation.

I have been leaning towards trying to prophylactically treating; however, in my readings I’ve read that diseases can come in through rocks, inverts/corals, etc. (such as ich) for various reasons I don’t have a QT for inverts, corals,etc.

So my question — is it worth prophylactically treating fish for things if you don’t QT anything else coming into the DT (or are those odds extremely low?)?

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience ... most fish that have arrived here seem to be carrying / suffering from one or more of the common diseases, and those illnesses can kill before the fish reach peak resistance to reinfection in the average (okay ... mine) decently maintained tank. It does appear that older tanks (looking at you, @Paul B !) with truly live rock are more resilient than newer tanks started with dry rock.

I get the feeling that corals and inverts are more of a "maybe" when it comes to carrying disease into your tank, and fish are more like an "almost certainly", so for me, it's worth the effort.

~B.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back