Is it worth resealing a tank that isn't leaking?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 29g tank that has some obvious wear and tear on silicone inside of the tank.

It seems that the silicone between glass panels is still in good shape. The tank does not leak.

I don't especially want to take all of the panels apart, remove the silicone holding the panels together, and re apply all of the silicone in between sheets of glass.

I'm hoping that by removing the silicone that is visible inside the tank, wiping with acetone, and applying new silicone, I can protect the structural silicone that actually prevents the tank from leaking. My concern is that the silicone that actually keeps the water in the tank may dissolve without a solid protective seal.

I know the existing protective seal will need to be removed with a solvent in order for the new seal to make good contact. My concern is that the acetone I intend to use may compromise the seal between panes.

Is it worth the effort to reseal just the protective layer? Should I reseal the entire thing? Or just wait for a $1 a gallon sale and get a new <29g tank?

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are desperate for tank I would just wait. Or since it doesn't leak you could always use it then transfer over to new tank at a later time.

I just don't want to be wasteful. This is a QT tank, it's already empty (needs to be sterilized), and I don't intend on filling it more than half way.

I can grab a new 10G easily enough, I'd just feel bad about tossing a tank that still has some life in it.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 29gal tank isn’t worth the time and effort of resealing even if it were leaking. If you are worried about its integrity just buy a new one.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that by removing the silicone that is visible inside the tank, wiping with acetone, and applying new silicone, I can protect the structural silicone that actually prevents the tank from leaking. My concern is that the silicone that actually keeps the water in the tank may dissolve without a solid protective seal.

I did this with a 75g tank and it's still working beautifully after 3 years with no integrity problems. I tried to keep any solvents away from the actual remaining silicone between the panes when i did it. I was very careful with the removal of the old silicone.

But, a 29g is pretty cheap to replace.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with a 75g tank and it's still working beautifully after 3 years with no integrity problems. I tried to keep any solvents away from the actual remaining silicone between the panes when i did it. I was very careful with the removal of the old silicone.

But, a 29g is pretty cheap to replace.

Fair enough. I may still reseal it anyway.

Cost isn't the concern so much as wastefulness.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reseal the protective silicone. You will be happy you did

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acetone isn't strong enough to damage the silicone between panes when simply cleaning up the inside, it evaporates too quickly. Get a pack of razor blades and carefully remove the inside silicone, use a rag with acetone to clean up the small amounts of silicone residue, then use a good quality silicone to reseal. I agree that it's probably not worth the time to do, but it's a pretty simple process.

Back