Is lifereef really the best skimmer?

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had reef octopus, nyos, aquamaxx and an RK2 X-flo 2.5 (venturi with mazzei injector). The Rk2 is by far my favorite and it rivals the lifereef. The Rk2 is less expensive and there isnt a waiting list. The same model can be plumbed internal or external of the sump and is compatible with a variety of pumps.
What size tank did you have the RK2 on? I really like the design, but I can't find a single review on it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, looking for some help.

What do peoples air hoses look like that connect to the collection cup and venturi nipple? On my 24" it is clear but my 30" gets tons of gunk in it. It looks to me like my 24" is out performing the 30" model and I cannot figure out why :(

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I’ve only ever used a 24” Lifereef, I’m curious as to what pumps you are using for each respective skimmer...

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Venturi needs to be cleaned/checked. I have had to put vegetable oil around clollection cup every now and then to get skim to fall down into the cup because it was pushing the lid up off its seat on cup and skim was coming out of vevt on lids top . This stopped all that. Been couple months now since I did this. Just wipe said oil on inside of cup - not the riser foam tube. Hope that helps.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I’ve only ever used a 24” Lifereef, I’m curious as to what pumps you are using for each respective skimmer...

Jebao 8000 on both, any bigger on the 30" and it floods. I just ordered a flow meter to check if one is truly pulling more. I went through some RC threads and found pics of peoples hoses that are gunked up, must be based on how much skimmate bubbles the air is pulling in.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody run a larger pump to feed both the skimmer and UV sterilizer or some other accessory?

I'm interested to know if I can upgrade from the mag drive 9.5 to something like the jebao dcq8000 and T off with a valve to the input of my UV. Save some space in the sump if possible.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs has the sicce pumps on sale again. Possibly looking to change from the magdrive 9.5 to adv 7 sicce on my svs 24. Do you guys that run this combo think it would support a heavily stocked 170? Before I buy the pump, just checking in if it'll be adequate or look into a new skimmer.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you "could" do it but not sure you should do it. Seems like it would make it harder to keep dialed un but that is just my opinion.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs has the sicce pumps on sale again. Possibly looking to change from the magdrive 9.5 to adv 7 sicce on my svs 24. Do you guys that run this combo think it would support a heavily stocked 170? Before I buy the pump, just checking in if it'll be adequate or look into a new skimmer.

That is one of the options I was looking at if I went away from the Mag Drive.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the tubing on the lifereef to connect a CO2 scrubber in line? One looks to be 1/4 tubing. The other that connects to the venturi a bit smaller?

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at custom 26" LR skimmer and based on others input... ADV 7.0 for skimmer. I have heard you really want dedicated pump to the skimmer (needs big/consistent flow). I will hook up UV as bypass on one of the my two pumps/return lines. My two return pumps will be Sicce SDC 7.0s. Between the throttle valve and DC pump should be able to target UV flow and total flow on that side. Honestly have bounced around on brand of return pumps. I am also having LF build me a custom larger sump to fit in all the pumps easily. :)

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really smart idea to keep your skimmer pump and return pumps the same. If your return pump dies, you can hook up the skimmer pump until you get your replacement.
I have a SicceSilent5.0 running my 24" LR skimmer...I think it is underpowered but you can easily adjust the LR and it still creates funk.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, looking for some help.

What do peoples air hoses look like that connect to the collection cup and venturi nipple? On my 24" it is clear but my 30" gets tons of gunk in it. It looks to me like my 24" is out performing the 30" model and I cannot figure out why :(
I pulled mine out of the collection cup for that reason.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with recommendations on the ideal water depth these skimmers sit in? Temporarily moved my tank to a rubbermaid stock tank and have my skimmer sitting inside on a rickety pvc leg and eggcrate base, lol. I had it nearly the body fully submerged, a few inches above the gate valve turn wheel. Now I made the unstable stand quite a bit taller and I've got it so the gate output is about half inch off the water level.

This seems like the height it shows in the manual to set it at, although you get some water splash and spray with the output above the water level. Mayve just put a threaded elbow on it and aim it back down into the water?

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sitting on top of an 11" tall plastic milk crate turned upside down from Home Depot. The feed pump sits on the floor of the stock tank. That makes the skimmer sit in about 8-9" of water. See https://www.homedepot.com/p/GSC-Tec...ack-Milk-Crate-MC131311-002/204793156#overlay

I am reworking the sump, flipping the milk crate over, add a second one, filling both with rubble, putting a heavy duty plastic grid on top, placing my skimmer on top of the grid. The grid: https://pentairaes.com/support-grating-1-2-thick.html

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should pick that up. Much more stable than the junk I built lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back