Is live food the best food?

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all go to extreme measures sometimes when we feed our fish and coral. But is It really worth dosing your tank with live copepods, live micro brine shrimp or phytoplankton? For example like the package from algea barn? And is it really worth the money as it can get expensive.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live food can be better, but then again it all depends on the live food as well. BBS are very nutritious on their own, they have to be gut loaded to provide any real value. Live phytoplankton is beneficial in many ways. Not only do your fish and coral eat it, but I believe they can help control phosphates as well. Copepods are always beneficial as they are a good food source for animals in your tank as well as eating all junk in places that your fish can't get to.

I forgot to mention that a lot of dry foods and frozen foods are really healthy for your fish. TDO is a really popular choice for dry food and LRS and Rod's frozen foods are great choices as well.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The value of food is a combination: its nutrient value and how readily the fish eat it. Most fish will readily eat live food. I hear that adult brine shrimp are not that nutritious and one could raise them and feed them to your fish. Feeding a quality dry food would probably be better.

I feed a combination of dry, frozen and nori. My fish do fine.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live food is expensive if you don't culture. I grow DHL BBS, Phyto, and White Worms
BBS.jpg
Phyto culture.jpg
White Worms.jpg

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live food can be better, but then again it all depends on the live food as well. BBS are very nutritious on their own, they have to be gut loaded to provide any real value. Live phytoplankton is beneficial in many ways. Not only do your fish and coral eat it, but I believe they can help control phosphates as well. Copepods are always beneficial as they are a good food source for animals in your tank as well as eating all junk in places that your fish can't get to.

I forgot to mention that a lot of dry foods and frozen foods are really healthy for your fish. TDO is a really popular choice for dry food and LRS and Rod's frozen foods are great choices as well.
I feed a variety of food between frozen dry Ang live food

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what type of fish are you feeding?

Blackworms are cheap and easy to keep in the fridge if you have a local LFS that stocks them.

Whiteworms or Grindal Worms are both dirt cheap to culture and really good for the fish. I think everyone should have one or the other going at a minimum. Grindals are great for small fish and nano tanks. Anything larger I would culture whiteworms.

Fresh clams are another good option that is cheap and available to everyone. Feed a couple fresh and freeze the rest. PaulB has an active thread on that.

Whatever you do, just mix things up. Feeding a mix of dry, fresh/live and frozen foods will cover all the nutritional bases

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13g tank with 2 clowns a cleaner shrimp and a royal gramma. I feed frozen brine and dry food. And from time to time I'll order live copepods and live micro brine from algea barn.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13g tank with 2 clowns a cleaner shrimp and a royal gramma. I feed frozen brine and dry food. And from time to time I'll order live copepods and live micro brine from algea barn.
I'd look into reef nutrition and LRS nano, great high quality foods. Adult brine unless gut loaded is not very nutritious. As a treat you can buy live adult brine shrimp and gut load them with small particle foods like reef roids and live phytoplankton. Fish went crazy for it.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into reef nutrition and LRS nano, great high quality foods. Adult brine unless gut loaded is not very nutritious. As a treat you can buy live adult brine shrimp and gut load them with small particle foods like reef roids and live phytoplankton. Fish went crazy for it.
Thanks I'll look into that. Is there a particular site you order from?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that clams are the best thing you can feed to fish. (and yourself) I buy them live and freeze them they slice off paper thin slices.

Nutrition Facts
Clams are one of the most nutritious foods in the world, and they offer an exceptional range of nutrients.

The table below shows the full nutrition profile for clams per 100 grams raw (3).

Calories and Macronutrients
The Calorie and Macronutrient Profile Per 100g of Clams

Calories/MacronutrientAmount (kcal/grams)
Calories74 kcal
Carbohydrate2.6 g
– Fiber0 g
– Sugars0 g
Fat1.0 g
– Saturated Fat0.1 g
– Monounsaturated Fat0.1 g
– Polyunsaturated Fat0.3 g
– Omega-3198 mg
– Omega-616.0 mg
Protein12.8 g
Vitamins

Vitamin Content of Clams Per 100 Grams

VitaminAmount% RDI
Vitamin B1249.4 mcg824 %
Vitamin C13.0 mg22 %
Vitamin B20.2 mg13 %
Vitamin B31.8 mg9 %
Vitamin A300 IU6 %
Vitamin B10.1 mg5 %
Folate16.0 mcg4 %
Vitamin B50.4 mg4 %
Vitamin B60.1 mg3 %
Vitamin E0.2 mcg2 %
Vitamin D4.0 IU1 %
Minerals

Mineral Content of Clams Per 100 Grams

MineralAmount% RDI
Iron14.0 mg78 %
Selenium24.3 mcg35 %
Manganese0.5 mg25 %
Phosphorus169 mg17 %
Copper0.3 mg17 %
Zinc1.4 mg9 %
Potassium314 mg9 %
Calcium46.0 mg5 %
Magnesium9.0 mg2 %
Sodium1.4 mg2 %
Key Point: Clams are packed with nutrients, and they are especially high in iron and vitamin B12.

Health Benefits of Clams

A Bowl of Clam Chowder.

A bowl of clam chowder
Here is a look at some of the most significant benefits that clams offer.

1) Exceptional Source of Vitamin B12
Clams are one of the best dietary sources of vitamin B12, and they offer an impressive 824% of the reference daily intake (RDI) per 100 grams.

Most people view beef as being high in B12, which it is, but as the table below shows, clams provide far more of the vitamin (4);

B12 per 100 g Raw WeightAmount% RDI
80% lean beef2.1 mcg36 %
Clams49.4 mcg824 %
Vitamin B12 is crucial for human health, and amongst its functions, it plays a vital role in (5);

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that clams are the best thing you can feed to fish. (and yourself) I buy them live and freeze them they slice off paper thin slices.

Nutrition Facts
Clams are one of the most nutritious foods in the world, and they offer an exceptional range of nutrients.

The table below shows the full nutrition profile for clams per 100 grams raw (3).

Calories and Macronutrients
The Calorie and Macronutrient Profile Per 100g of Clams

Calories/MacronutrientAmount (kcal/grams)
Calories74 kcal
Carbohydrate2.6 g
– Fiber0 g
– Sugars0 g
Fat1.0 g
– Saturated Fat0.1 g
– Monounsaturated Fat0.1 g
– Polyunsaturated Fat0.3 g
– Omega-3198 mg
– Omega-616.0 mg
Protein12.8 g
Vitamins

Vitamin Content of Clams Per 100 Grams

VitaminAmount% RDI
Vitamin B1249.4 mcg824 %
Vitamin C13.0 mg22 %
Vitamin B20.2 mg13 %
Vitamin B31.8 mg9 %
Vitamin A300 IU6 %
Vitamin B10.1 mg5 %
Folate16.0 mcg4 %
Vitamin B50.4 mg4 %
Vitamin B60.1 mg3 %
Vitamin E0.2 mcg2 %
Vitamin D4.0 IU1 %
Minerals

Mineral Content of Clams Per 100 Grams

MineralAmount% RDI
Iron14.0 mg78 %
Selenium24.3 mcg35 %
Manganese0.5 mg25 %
Phosphorus169 mg17 %
Copper0.3 mg17 %
Zinc1.4 mg9 %
Potassium314 mg9 %
Calcium46.0 mg5 %
Magnesium9.0 mg2 %
Sodium1.4 mg2 %
Key Point: Clams are packed with nutrients, and they are especially high in iron and vitamin B12.

Health Benefits of Clams

A Bowl of Clam Chowder.

A bowl of clam chowder
Here is a look at some of the most significant benefits that clams offer.

1) Exceptional Source of Vitamin B12
Clams are one of the best dietary sources of vitamin B12, and they offer an impressive 824% of the reference daily intake (RDI) per 100 grams.

Most people view beef as being high in B12, which it is, but as the table below shows, clams provide far more of the vitamin (4);

B12 per 100 g Raw WeightAmount% RDI
80% lean beef2.1 mcg36 %
Clams49.4 mcg824 %
Vitamin B12 is crucial for human health, and amongst its functions, it plays a vital role in (5);
Where do you get your clams at? Our lfs doesn't sell them

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for an easy way to add a diverse frozen food to your feeding routine check out our offerings at LRSFoods.com We have a walk through video on the media gallery page as well to help give you insights into our products and process.

Everything is produced here in North Carolina using FDA certified, chemical free seafood ingredients, including a lot of clams. There are about a dozen captive breeding successes listed on our website bolstering the nutrition in our foods. We also distribute the entire line of Reef Nutrition products and they certainly are very popular foods as well. Like many have mentioned diversity and high quality products can do a lot to keep your fish healthy. Good luck!

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for an easy way to add a diverse frozen food to your feeding routine check out our offerings at LRSFoods.com We have a walk through video on the media gallery page as well to help give you insights into our products and process.

Everything is produced here in North Carolina using FDA certified, chemical free seafood ingredients, including a lot of clams. There are about a dozen captive breeding successes listed on our website bolstering the nutrition in our foods. We also distribute the entire line of Reef Nutrition products and they certainly are very popular foods as well. Like many have mentioned diversity and high quality products can do a lot to keep your fish healthy. Good luck!
Can you order from the site?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all go to extreme measures sometimes when we feed our fish and coral. But is It really worth dosing your tank with live copepods, live micro brine shrimp or phytoplankton? For example like the package from algea barn? And is it really worth the money as it can get expensive.

Personally, I do not think it is worth it. Perhaps in certain instances, like trying to keep a mandarin, live supplementation may be necessary; but not in the vast majority of cases. Even with a mandarin, a big enough system likely supports it naturally.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I do not think it is worth it. Perhaps in certain instances, like trying to keep a mandarin, live supplementation may be necessary; but not in the vast majority of cases. Even with a mandarin, a big enough system likely supports it naturally.
Me personally I think it's good to do every now and then because they get things forme the live food that they don't get from frozen or dry food

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back