Is Live Rock more beneficial in the sump versus the main display?

Do you think that live rock is more beneficial in sump than it is in the main display tank?

• In the sump

Votes: 69 14.9%
  • In the display

Votes: 188 40.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 59 12.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 148 31.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Help me out today! Recently (a few months ago) in an anticipated tank move I started moving live rock from my main display to the sump in order to be able to catch fish easier, move coral etc. Since then my tank has stabilized much more it seems and algae is almost non-existent. This after I also removed my skimmer and algae scrubber months ago as well. I am thinking that the more water flowing through the sump cover more of the surface area of the rock resulting in a more stable environment. Let's talk about it today!

Do you think that live rock is more beneficial in sump than it is in the main display tank?

image via @devocole
A113F6AA-554A-4697-8272-E208F954423D.jpeg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I would think that there is a lot of stuff in the rocks that benefits from light.

That being said, I do have rock rubble in my bubble barrier and a few bags of matrix in the sump.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS has bare bottom tanks but a sump loaded with live rock and the tanks are covered in coralline. He keeps nice SPS mariculture colonies healthy so I’d say yes. Although I’m a fan of sump and display. But keeping them in the sump helps to keep a lot nasties away. The bacteria from true live rock in the sump will be beneficial to tank as whole

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue it doesn't matter at all at this point. Biological media alone can more than take care of the beneficial bacteria needs in pretty much any system.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always kept extra rocks in my sump
In the compartment where a in sump skimmer would be . But about 80% of my rocks are in my display .

In the sump the rocks give pods and other creatures places to multiply without being eaten by fish .
but no light , I am not 100% how much light beneficial bacteria require to be effective

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 80lbs of rock between my sump and display on a 40b. Anecdotal evidence, but I noticed a huge decrease algae growth in my display once the extra 30 lbs of rock had been cooking for a month or so in my sump.

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me out today! Recently (a few months ago) in an anticipated tank move I started moving live rock from my main display to the sump in order to be able to catch fish easier, move coral etc. Since then my tank has stabilized much more it seems and algae is almost non-existent. This after I also removed my skimmer and algae scrubber months ago as well. I am thinking that the more water flowing through the sump cover more of the surface area of the rock resulting in a more stable environment. Let's talk about it today!

image via @devocole
I believe both ways is beneficial. In sump it creates surface area utilized by beneficial bacteria to promote a well balanced ecosystem. In the display, it has more to do with aesthetics as well as benefits. It will give a beautiful natural scenery a piece of the ocean and also provide hidden spaces for critters to live and hide if threatened. I have live rock rubble in my towers of my AIO jbj 45 and mini reef out front in main display. I would say both areas would help a lot with aesthetics and general water chemistry.
Blessings

Jake atkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting question that definitely gets one to think about. The rock in the sump won't necessarily get light for photosynthetic organisms depending on one's set up but it will be absent from predators eating all the organisms and pods that live within. That being said, how much does one benefit outweigh the other in the actual effectiveness of what the rock can provide for the system. And at what ratio of rock to tank volume does it actually start to produce noticeable results. Looking forward to seeing others thoughts about this.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please also add that I'm talking about a fast turnover rate of water in the sump. Also you can add lights above the sump rock if you wanted to!

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really both beneficial and I think that's why there's a valid reason for doing rock-scaping in my tank to have both high & low flow zones, high light and low light zones. I'm all about the display refugium since its the only way in my opinion to stay in tune with "keeping your fuge as clean as your display".
I ran marinepure blocks in my sump for years but never ran snails or crabs in it - it turned into a massive Pod-zone (only the pods would clean the area. In my new tank I've deleted this and am basically going opposite to having a "dirty sump" setup.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beneficial bacteria dont need light. If anything they work better in darkness.

You want LR in a place with good flow but not collecting deitrus. Pretty much it. Its advantage initially is bacterial diversity. As the tank ages it doesn't matter. I prefer lava rock or synthetic for plain surface area.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also have rock in the display just very little considering the size of my tank BTW.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it's the location that matters. I bet when you moved it a lot of gunk and build up came off which let it breathe better and is now doing a better job at what it does.

That's a really good point.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it depends on which of many benefits of live rock you're talking about. If it's surface area for bacterial colonization, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Putting it in the sump is one way to increase biodiversity and filtration when someone wants a minimalist aquascape.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @devocole
Typically ther is much more flow in the DT than in the sump

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back