Is Lyngbya?

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone help me Id this and help me find a way to get rid of this stuff. Or is this something I need to wait out.

Tank was started with dry rock, set up since feb 2019, 120 gallon display, 40 gallon sump running at 20 gallons, bare bottom
I have approx 6000 gph of flow

I had a bad bout with gha, used vibrant for help and this stuff was the result. It’s been 2 weeks since this showed up. I’m thinking vibrant was a mistake because what came back is the devil.
I was also running some phosban but stopped 2 weeks ago.
I took the Fuge off line, I do have a ATS. Skim 24/7

Current live stock is 1 yellow tang and 2 clown fish. First batch of snails and 2 blood shrimp completed qt today so I added 8 snails today. I bought a total of 16 more today trochus and turbo snails total.

I feed once a day 1/2 cube of mysis 1/2 cube of mysis spirulina, I don’t rinse them. Some days I feed flake or pellet food. There is always nori in the tank.

Last week I took all the rock out and scrubbed it down during a water change and used the opportunity to re aquascape and siphoned as much of this out as I can. There was about 2” of sludge in the bottom of the brute can. Total of 18 gallons.

I thought I won, but it’s back. I pulled out a test rock and sprayed it down with 3% peroxide. I’m worried about treating all the rock and killing the bacteria.

Lights are viparspectra running at 60 blue, 20 white, yesterday I shut the white off.

I didn’t realize the nutrients had bottomed out. I had a water change planned for today but opted against it. All test kits are Red Sea pro, ph is api
Nitrate-0
Po4-0
Ph- 8.2ish
Alk 9
Salinity 35 ppt,

I did add some seachem flourish today to help raise the no3.
Also note it’s not near as bad as when I scrubbed the rocks. But it looks like it’s starting to get there. Ever day I scrub the bottom of the tank, overflow box, and back glass, as much as I can, I have filter floss stuffed into the overflow box, I change out daily. The glass also has a white film on there sometimes.

Also sorry for the long post. I’m trying to give as much info as I can. Help please.

FE169CAF-6D30-4A46-A22C-735B997B8499.jpeg

BE40954A-D7E7-457D-AFFF-04FF40742023.jpeg

72F3F163-E3D1-4149-8061-D9B6A5B92498.jpeg

6CE83C76-917C-4E11-8649-86FF07C6B291.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see the peroxide treated portion. No form of peroxide application in a reef tank will kill the filter, even if you sprayed 35%. It’s a great all around tool

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply work is gonna be busy for the next few weeks.

What’s the verdict? Did Chemiclean work?
So I ordered the liquid chemi clean for blue green algae. Did my dose, along with a 3 day black out. I would say 90% of is gone.
But now the hair algae is back lol. And vibrant is doing absolutely nothing.

I’d love to see the peroxide treated portion. No form of peroxide application in a reef tank will kill the filter, even if you sprayed 35%. It’s a great all around tool

I have pulled out 4 test rocks because I have a hair algae problem again. scrubbed them down with a wire brush and sprayed them with 3% peroxide let them sit and added them back to the tank. I’m not opposed to taking the rock out and scrubbing them all down.
The rock was out of my reef tank that I shut down in 2006 or 2007 and stored them so roughly 12 years they have been stored dry. I did a chlorine soak for 3 weeks and rodi soak prior to starting up this tank.
I have 2 blood shrimp in the tank. I was reading dosing peroxide and shrimp isn’t a good mix. Display tank was set up feb 2019.

My coral qt that I used the same rock in as well as a sealed bag of live sand from 2006 has none of these issues. There is a small Cyano outbreak that is fading away. I did rinse the sand before adding it. The coral qt tank was set up mid to late March. Coralline algae is starting to take off and the corals, mostly sps, seem happy. But the algae issues were non existent except for the sea lettuce which I introduce.

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a section I peroxide treated plus the two smaller rocks. Sorry for the cloudy water I just did a few more rocks and tried to get the blood shrimp out and back into the coral qt but one bugger got away and is hiding somewhere. So I put the other one back in.
When I added the rocks back in it got cloudy.

884912B8-9B72-4F28-BA4A-E94284B666C7.jpeg

I’ll get close up once the water clears

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back