Is Marco Rock premium shelf rock the best dry rock?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some before and after pictures.

59A49FFE-1D4F-4A47-A08C-89D2EED72A00.jpeg

0CDAC48A-8E5C-4547-99FF-E2E5864664F7.jpeg

8B522BDC-B0DB-46E6-9D4E-AF7228E347EE.jpeg

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scape is not all the way done.

EA4B800C-16EC-4B41-B734-9B53E7D635B5.jpeg

D9EAEE2B-05AA-4688-B1F2-88AEE74F273D.jpeg
Very interesting. It almost seems that you cemented smaller rocks together to create that background scape. Am I correct?

With the additional rock, have you considered slicing a flat side on the bottom to they strand the way you desire?

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some before and after pictures.

59A49FFE-1D4F-4A47-A08C-89D2EED72A00.jpeg

0CDAC48A-8E5C-4547-99FF-E2E5864664F7.jpeg

8B522BDC-B0DB-46E6-9D4E-AF7228E347EE.jpeg
I remember that branch rock scape. Those zip ties is what made me say no. I just didn’t want to look at them for a year or two until the corals fill in. My friend actually did one just like it. It came out really nice but I just opted for something different cause that’s just what I do!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. It almost seems that you cemented smaller rocks together to create that background scape. Am I correct?

With the additional rock, have you considered slicing a flat side on the bottom to they strand the way you desire?

It’s a mix of big rocks, small rocks, rubble, sand, crushed coral, and foam.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that branch rock scape. Those zip ties is what made me say no. I just didn’t want to look at them for a year or two until the corals fill in. My friend actually did one just like it. It came out really nice but I just opted for something different cause that’s just what I do!

There really is no right or wrong way to make your aquascape because its more of an art then anything. I am going to cut the foreground rocks flat on the bottom for my scape. You are right the look of a scape changes once coral is put in.

Last edited:

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really find this interesting as I'm just starting a new build and very much want to create a very artfully, yet functional scape. The pictures in this thread with the dialogue are great. Thanks.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really find this interesting as I'm just starting a new build and very much want to create a very artfully, yet functional scape. The pictures in this thread with the dialogue are great. Thanks.
Glad you enjoyed. You won't be disappointed!

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you enjoyed. You won't be disappointed!
Here's all I have so far... LOL yep, just a bunch of rocks that I have opened the box on and need to figure what to do next. Should I aquascape first, should I just start em' soaking in the RODI water, I am curious as to the best approach, but will ask that in my build thread!
20180913_195745.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg, is this your first time using dry rock? By the way, your aquascape is pretty cool.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's all I have so far... LOL yep, just a bunch of rocks that I have opened the box on and need to figure what to do next. Should I aquascape first, should I just start em' soaking in the RODI water, I am curious as to the best approach, but will ask that in my build thread!
20180913_195745.jpg
Definitely differing views on this one. Ask around and come to your own conclusion.

Greg, is this your first time using dry rock? By the way, your aquascape is pretty cool.
No, went with dry rock with my 25g. Experimented a bit with what I thought was the best method to start things off and it has worked out well. I can talk about it here or you can check out my 25g build thread. Only issue I have experienced is aptasia but have been too lazy to order some berghia.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chef u should make your scape into a grill made out of coral.

;)

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there no distributor for 2 Little Fishies in the UK?

Please show an example so I can see where you are coming from on your line of thinking. Not that I can change mine now that it is cemented in place. Heck, in 3 years you won't even see it.
I love it! I am thinking of the same. Either that or the arches. I to get sickof that big boulder look. I bought a sump from someone used and he threw in a big garbage can full of live rock,most I wont use but its a lot of tonga braches and a few arches and some boulders. Problem is getting it to match the look of new rock. I thought about painting my rock pink and purple. I know I could make it look just like the liferocks from caribe sea which is what his live rock is but had darkened a bit, but its pink, purple maybe some maroon and grey. Lot cheaper than buying that stuff buy the lb at 9.99. I wonder it I could mix shelf with a few tongas and arches,probably would look good. maybe I could sell it. Its expensive rock and he just gave it to me, plus a ton of marine pure bio spheres, not to mention a big new garbage can...lol

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there no distributor for 2 Little Fishies in the UK?

Please show an example so I can see where you are coming from on your line of thinking. Not that I can change mine now that it is cemented in place. Heck, in 3 years you won't even see it.
I love it! I am thinking of the same. Either that or the arches. I to get sickof that big boulder look. I bought a sump from someone used and he threw in a big garbage can full of live rock,most I wont use but its a lot of tonga braches and a few arches and some boulders. Problem is getting it to match the look of new rock. I thought about painting my rock pink and purple. I know I could make it look just like the liferocks from caribe sea which is what his live rock is but had darkened a bit, but its pink, purple maybe some maroon and grey. Lot cheaper than buying that stuff buy the lb at 9.99. I wonder it I could mix shelf with a few tongas and arches,probably would look good. maybe I could sell it. Its expensive rock and he just gave it to me, plus a ton of marine pure bio spheres, not to mention a big new garbage can...lol

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-junky do you know of the build thread for that first suspended branch scape? The one where the base is on the left and the right side overhangs? I'd love to do something similar, but you need a big tank to pull that off,.... I just dont see it working in a 50gallon because it is really hard to find small live rock branches.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock for me is a must in any aquarium and i will never look to use 'live rock' again. Marco or Real Reef are hands down my go to.

Sadly in the UK we don't seem to have stax or this new type and so if we want plate rock it is RR or nothing!
We have Marco rock here in the UK. Sadly most shops don’t buy it from the wholesaler that distributes it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back