Is MGT Shoe Glue Safe for Coral?

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with using Shoe Glue on corals? My starfish attacked my zoanthid and when I removed the starfish it pulled off a brnach of about 5 polyps. I have a small rock to host it on but the only glue I have access to at this moment is Shoe Glue and Elmers Glue. I don't know if either of these are safe for an aquarium, or if they would work.

Another option is to wait until the morning (12 hours) and buy super-glue. What would you suggest? I'm in the Philippines so it would take a month to get coral glue delivered.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with using Shoe Glue on corals? My starfish attacked my zoanthid and when I removed the starfish it pulled off a brnach of about 5 polyps. I have a small rock to host it on but the only glue I have access to at this moment is Shoe Glue and Elmers Glue. I don't know if either of these are safe for an aquarium, or if they would work.

Another option is to wait until the morning (12 hours) and buy super-glue. What would you suggest? I'm in the Philippines so it would take a month to get coral glue delivered.
I would wait and get super glue "gel"

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I still have some aquairum safe silicon so I will go with that. I'll get the super glue in the morning for future emergency and use it if the silicon doesn't hold.

Orko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sellicon will not work that well they will be fine rolling around in tank or find a spot w/out that much current get the super glue gel not the other kind it does not work as well...

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sellicon will not work that well they will be fine rolling around in tank or find a spot w/out that much current get the super glue gel not the other kind it does not work as well...

The silicon is working, it helps that I just bought dry rock this Monday so I attached it to a small piece of dry rock with the silicon. One of them is even starting to open! Three are showing color and the others are still completely closed.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated. This is my first frag. I certainly wouldn't suggest starfish as a fragging tool but it did cause a clean break.

update 1: There are 4 polyps starting to open, 1 has some color but is closed and has a dark spot on it, probably damaged by the starfish. There is also a very small one that is closed, I'm not sure if it is alive or just a leftover from a previous event. This colony appears to have been built on top of many previous generations of colony.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put uncured silicon in the water? It may release acetic acid, not sure what else. You may want to google if uncured silicon is reef safe.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put uncured silicon in the water? It may release acetic acid, not sure what else. You may want to google if uncured silicon is reef safe.

Technically its half-cured, to make a long story short the top of the silicon was completely cured and I had to cut the tube in half to get at some that was still usable. I'm hoping that since it is a small amount the tank can handle it. By the time I found out about the curing issues, it was too late but 3/5 of the Polyps have bloomed. The 6th and small lobe doesn't appear to have any polyp. The tank is fully cycled though so if its ammonia cured I don't expect a problem. I found a related post here which says it gives off acidic acid, I can monitor the PH level but the PH of the tank is currently 7.4 so it should be able to handle a little bit of acid.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fourth polyp bloomed and I believe the fifth was damaged by the starfish so while I'm facing a possible crisis from the silicon, it looks like I only lost one polyp from the event.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, the PH was 8.4. I haven't tested in a long time! Either way I added some vinegar because I don't like being at the edge of the ranges.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking good today. The damaged zoanthid is starting to open, and I was able to get the PH down to 8.3. I also did a 10% water change.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update.

I'm passed the curing time and the 5 polyps have all bloomed. It took a little while for the damaged one to recover, but it finally did. None of the other coral were effected by the silicon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back