Is Mr. Clownfish Ok?

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing so please go easy on me. I bought an ORA clown from my LFS. After I put him in, I realized an hour later I should have QTed. He’s the only fish in the DT with nothing else aside from rocks and sand. A few days later I noticed this on his tail maybe 4-5 days in. Any idea what it is? He’s the eating now,
swims around only before bedtime, and always hangsout at the front right corner. He’s been hanging on on the bottom right now but moves up and down from time to time. Yesterday I noticed he stares at the corner with his face then does a quick 180 twitch. Sometimes he rinse and repeats but not all the time.

50D5D0FB-BA42-4928-9218-4E145F176D43.jpeg

Reefing Manny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have 1 fish and no inverts or coral, then you can actually treat your fish for ich in your DT. Unless you‘re going to literally QT everything you buy for your tank (Fish, snails, crabs, corals, etc.) for 45 days, then it’s pointless to tear down your tank and basically start over when you have the ability to treat now. It’s extremely difficult to keep ich out of your tank, because of the fact that it can hitch a ride on literally everything you put in your tank, but once again It is completely up to you and how far you are willing to go.

Now, dont get me wrong, it’s smart to have a QT and to QT new fish additions. I QT any new additions to my DT, but the point that I‘m trying to make is not to stress yourself over it. Especially since your tank is new and you have no corals and inverts, you can easily treat your fish now.

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy a dg tote and a 150w heater a sponge filter,nose tank water to fill up tank water. Buy a praziquantul based product qt(like prazi pro)for a week or two do 25% water change weekly, dose a formalin based product for 2 weeks to a month then treat the water with a copper based product(2 weeks to a month) this is a three step qt that most wholesalers use on their fish giving dt enough time to fallow(fishless) is important to kill any dormate cillates and flukes

Do this for the easiest method of qt
For no headache on your end as a beginner although it looks minute some fish will have flare ups of ich

But as a beginner look out for the big three which are brooklynella(in every clownfish growout /breeder tank ever) euronema(from wild fish) and ich(we should assume all fish have it)
As these will make u wanna give up

(u probably dont have coral yet as a beginner but will want some so this is my advice ,I wish someone told me 15 years ago)but ot is also important to dip and observe coral as wild coral can harbor many pests or bacterias in soft coral that can spread to other soft corals.some people have a coral qt aswell were they can observe new pieces before placing in dt... know how to dip what your dipping the coral for whether revive rx freshwater iodine peroxide know how why and what ur dipping

This will always ensure sucsess

Also here's a video on how to qt

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have 1 fish and no inverts or coral, then you can actually treat your fish for ich in your DT. Unless you‘re going to literally QT everything you buy for your tank (Fish, snails, crabs, corals, etc.) for 45 days, then it’s pointless to tear down your tank and basically start over when you have the ability to treat now. It’s extremely difficult to keep ich out of your tank, because of the fact that it can hitch a ride on literally everything you put in your tank, but once again It is completely up to you and how far you are willing to go.

Now, dont get me wrong, it’s smart to have a QT and to QT new fish additions. I QT any new additions to my DT, but the point that I‘m trying to make is not to stress yourself over it. Especially since your tank is new and you have no corals and inverts, you can easily treat your fish now.
I would advise against this if you want a reef tank you dont want any trace of heavy metals in the water column unless you dont want coral or inverts and are gonna only run fowlr in that tank forever

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would advise against this if you want a reef tank you dont want any trace of heavy metals in the water column unless you dont want coral or inverts and are gonna only run fowlr in that tank for it's

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Manny,
Thanks for your response. Ah ok I'll try not to stress over it. I'm more sad about Mr. Clownfish more than anything. Hope he didn't stress so much going to my tank he got sick. So if I treat in my tank, I don't do copper because I have rock and sand correct?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against this if you want a reef tank you dont want any trace of heavy metals in the water column unless you dont want coral or inverts and are gonna only run fowlr in that tank for it's
Ahh yeah I plan on getting corals and inverts in the future. So if it is ich, how do I treat the DT for ich while i QT the fish?

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I agree with many ich is definitely prevalent but we can do certain things like dip corals and rock qt fish. Not buy compromised animals, remove corals from dirty plugs or rock

It's all on how anal you wanna be but the fish can beat ich naturally as long as it remains eating and no environmental stress occurs

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You treat the fish to prevent full scale infection

Cillates will start to metabolize and starve after 30 days with no food
Eating themselves

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I agree with many ich is definitely prevalent but we can do certain things like dip corals and rock qt fish. Not buy compromised animals, remove corals from dirty plugs or rock

It's all on how anal you wanna be but the fish can beat ich naturally as long as it remains eating and no environmental stress occurs
if they beat it naturally, the remaining ich dies in tank if no new fish after 70+ days after he survives?

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would say go to dg buy a tote buy a 150w heater buy a sponge filter use ur tank water cuz it's already cycled buy prazi pro and ich x by hikari as these take out the guesswork for beginners and cupramine by seachem and begin the process tomorrow

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70 days some people say but it's a myth/misconception the cilliatesand flukes(ich causing parasite will starve around 28 days with no food source and by the 36th day the body metabolizes itself and eats away its reserves for a nice slow death

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they beat it naturally, the remaining ich dies in tank if no new fish after 70+ days after he survives?
After letting the tank fallow and treating the fish for a month or two it's safe to put him back in the tank
Its also safe to add more fish just be careful what you buy look for gasping any stress while swimming cloudiness in the eyes ask to feed
Stay away from buying fish from chains like petco petsmart pet supply plus quality in quality out

Then start qting new fish we should assume all fish are compromised

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After letting the tank fallow and treating the fish for a month or two it's safe to put him back in the tank
Its also safe to add more fish just be careful what you buy look for gasping any stress while swimming cloudiness in the eyes ask to feed
Stay away from buying fish from chains like petco petsmart pet supply plus quality in quality out

Then start qting new fish we should assume all fish are compromised
Ok thank you for your detailed response. I'll go to the store tomorrow and can't wait for these parasites to eat themselves to death. Poor fishy hope he gets well soon.

Upvote 0

Reefing Manny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Manny,
Thanks for your response. Ah ok I'll try not to stress over it. I'm more sad about Mr. Clownfish more than anything. Hope he didn't stress so much going to my tank he got sick. So if I treat in my tank, I don't do copper because I have rock and sand correct?
Yeah, and I apologize, I was referring more to using the light stuff like prazi, not copper. I should have been more specific. Running carbon after treatment will absorb the chemicals.
Also, I apologize for assuming. I had assumed that you really didn’t have the means to set up a QT, because in your original post it sounds like you were already aware that you should have QT’d.
If you have the means, I would most definitely QT and keep that tank fishless for at least 30-45days.

Upvote 0

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like ich to me - Id say thats Lymphocystis and is rarely, if ever anything to worry about.

Ich presents itself as small "spots" and is very, very unlikely to be found as a single spot - By its very nature it occurs in numbers.

If it were me, id get reading regarding lymphocystis and compare against your clown - It does not require any treatment in most cases and i would not want you to treat for something it does not need.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like ich to me - Id say thats Lymphocystis and is rarely, if ever anything to worry about.

Ich presents itself as small "spots" and is very, very unlikely to be found as a single spot - By its very nature it occurs in numbers.

If it were me, id get reading regarding lymphocystis and compare against your clown - It does not require any treatment in most cases and i would not want you to treat for something it does not need.
Oh I never heard of that one before. I'll go read up on it now ty.

Upvote 0
Back