Is Mr. Clownfish Ok?

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing so please go easy on me. I bought an ORA clown from my LFS. After I put him in, I realized an hour later I should have QTed. He’s the only fish in the DT with nothing else aside from rocks and sand. A few days later I noticed this on his tail maybe 4-5 days in. Any idea what it is? He’s the eating now,
swims around only before bedtime, and always hangsout at the front right corner. He’s been hanging on on the bottom right now but moves up and down from time to time. Yesterday I noticed he stares at the corner with his face then does a quick 180 twitch. Sometimes he rinse and repeats but not all the time.

50D5D0FB-BA42-4928-9218-4E145F176D43.jpeg

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like ich to me - Id say thats Lymphocystis and is rarely, if ever anything to worry about.

Ich presents itself as small "spots" and is very, very unlikely to be found as a single spot - By its very nature it occurs in numbers.

If it were me, id get reading regarding lymphocystis and compare against your clown - It does not require any treatment in most cases and i would not want you to treat for something it does not need.
zoom in on the chin. Still think it’s Lympho? I mean it could be…

Upvote 0

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoom in on the chin. Still think it’s Lympho? I mean it could be…
Yes i do - Ich is very, very rare to be found as one singularly spot on a fish and in all honesty the marking on the chin is not clearly enough for me to say its actually a spot. The spot we see with our eyes are not the parasite itself anyway, but the "exit wound". Parasites by nature infect in large numbers. Yes it has to begin somewhere but its extremely rare to find one singularly spot and it to be a parasite.

The "nodes" on the caudal and dorsal fins look to me to be very lymph like and can often occur on new fish when settling in betweeen rock or being netted etc. Its a lot like a human "scab" or "graze" in that sense. Those markings are far, far to large to be parasitic.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing so please go easy on me. I bought an ORA clown from my LFS. After I put him in, I realized an hour later I should have QTed. He’s the only fish in the DT with nothing else aside from rocks and sand. A few days later I noticed this on his tail maybe 4-5 days in. Any idea what it is? He’s the eating now,
swims around only before bedtime, and always hangsout at the front right corner. He’s been hanging on on the bottom right now but moves up and down from time to time. Yesterday I noticed he stares at the corner with his face then does a quick 180 twitch. Sometimes he rinse and repeats but not all the time.

50D5D0FB-BA42-4928-9218-4E145F176D43.jpeg
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef~!

Can you try for a clearer photo( I know, it's difficult to do). A short video might help as well. More complete background information is also helpful, here is a link to some tips about that:

The tail fin lesions may be Lymphocystis, but I can't see any ich (Cryptocaryon), thus the need for a clearer photo.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef~!

Can you try for a clearer photo( I know, it's difficult to do). A short video might help as well. More complete background information is also helpful, here is a link to some tips about that:

The tail fin lesions may be Lymphocystis, but I can't see any ich (Cryptocaryon), thus the need for a clearer photo.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Let me know if I need to take another video.

PXL_20210712_190558152.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a little over a month old and I used Dr. Tims. Before I put the fish in last week around the 7th of July, I waited for amm and nitrite to be as close to zero before putting him in.

1626119058785.png

My salt is ~34.5-35.0ish. Don't mind the salt above I have to recalibrate it because I didn't know about temperature correction.

My trident is new and I installed it after I put the fish in. When I saw the alk is jumping all over the place, I realized the cycle is too early to put a fish in and should have ignored Dr. Tim's instruction of just waiting for ~0ppm amm/nitrite to put fish in at or after day 9 :(

Amm is 0 but sometimes hits 0.25ppm and the 2 or 3rd day I had the fish in I saw the nitrities spike to purple using API. I started doing 10-15% water changes for 3 days straight after I noticed the nitrite spike but it's still purple. I feel really bad for him.

He tried to eat pellets on day 2 but I ended up buying frozen and he chases it down and eats. I tried to reduce stress by lowering my mp40s to like 1% on lagoon mode because I noticed he swims to the other side when I turn on feed mode. Earlier today when I took the video/photo, I changed all the lights to cool/warm white at 100% intensity and I was surprised he finally swam on the other side of the tank and kept on going back and forth with my powerhead intensity at 10%.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

It looks like your clownfish has ich. The best treatment would be with copper in a quarantine tank. Untreated, it will be fatal.
Jay

Upvote 0

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

That second still photo does indeed look like ich. The raised tiny "bumps" on the skin across its topside are what makes this more obvious than the original images.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this because he’s not eating enough? or it a worm?
1FCDF983-7C74-4651-A977-8289697285BD.jpeg

Did it turn out not to have ich, or did you treat it with something?

That isn't a worm, it is mucus in the feces. That can have a variety of causes, some serious, some not. Unlikely to be an internal worms since the fish was captive raised. Is it still feeding? What foods are you giving it?

Jay

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back