Is my anthia sick?

John Minnix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have four lyre tail anthias that have been in my tank for 6 months or more. I was gone for 9 days and let a guy from the aquarium store keep the tank for me while I was gone. Fish and corals all look great and parameters appear to be in normal range like I left them.

I'm noticing that the largest anthia (not sure if its totally male yet, but is darker and by far the biggest) is swimming periodically in a strange sideways manner I've not seen before. A couple of times, he's almost flipped upside down. Outside appearances are completely normal. Good color and aggressive after its food. No strange marks on its outside. Eyes look good.

What am I dealing with here? Has anyone seen this? The only thing that changed while I was gone is the guy came by and fed once per day. I know anthias prefer multiple feedings which I usually do. The guy still looks pretty fat and there are pods to eat, however.

Here are some pics. The first is to show that the fish looks normal to me. The other two are to show how its swimming every few minutes. Please note that the fish looks washed out when its on its side in the pictures, but this is not how the fish looks to the eye. My iPhone does a bad job with tank photos.

Thanks, all.

John

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
OP
J

John Minnix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, its doing this sideways thing about once every 10 or 15 minutes from what I can tell. It sort of stops, leans to the side for a few seconds and then rights itself and moves on.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry too much about the feeding. There’s a lot of posts about anthia feeding. I have 2 lyretail for a long time now.they get fed 1 time a day. I actually just skipped a feeding on Monday. They are fine. I do think their nutrition is a key to their health.

As far as the new behavior, any new additions recently or change in water make up? I don’t see anything off the bat that catches my eye.

Oops, sorry hope your having a god day.

OP
OP
J

John Minnix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. I added a tail spot blenny about three weeks ago after three weeks in the QT. No issues with it so far.

From what I can tell, the anthia has stopped doing the sideways thing. Maybe he just wanted to go sideways? Who knows!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back