Is my Aquamaxx DFC-80 protein skimmer defective?

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was recently assembling my skimmer and couldn't even get past step 6 because the cap that screws on to the the pump doesn't make the clearance for the diffuser to screw together or even be shut all the way. It seems pretty straightforward but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I mean a flaw like this is pretty outrageous. Any thoughts?

Here is a photo.
image1.jpeg

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have had this skimmer for a while. How is it on noise? I got mine a few days ago and it is noisy above 70%. Sounds like the impeller hates the air intake and is fine when the venturi is off. Trying to determine if it is normal or now

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have had this skimmer for a while. How is it on noise? I got mine a few days ago and it is noisy above 70%. Sounds like the impeller hates the air intake and is fine when the venturi is off. Trying to determine if it is normal or now
My mp10’s at 65% are louder than my awuamaxx skimmer at 100.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the db is on the skimmer? I used a free app on my phone. Any pump noise? Maybe what I think is loud actually isn’t that loud.

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having lots of trouble with this skimmer. It seems the intake piece that attaches to the Venturi and the pump is a very poor design. This thing sounds like it is screaming unless I pull that piece and just let it suck water. I am not impressed with this skimmer. If you still have yours I would love to hear how you have gotten this to work.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having lots of trouble with this skimmer. It seems the intake piece that attaches to the Venturi and the pump is a very poor design. This thing sounds like it is screaming unless I pull that piece and just let it suck water. I am not impressed with this skimmer. If you still have yours I would love to hear how you have gotten this to work.
Yeah, the intake design for air to the pump is terrible. Even on 100% pump output it struggles to get enough air to work well. The bubbles are so fine significant amounts of micro bubbles escape the skimmer which is probably happening due to the poor alignment of the baffles (not compensating correctly for the offset output of the pump). Add a little positive air pressure from and ozone pump and it runs really well. The exhaust gate opening is also too large making the adjustment resolution too low for a precise adjustment (that and the adjustment "nob" needs a shim to get rid of the loosey goosey).

Going to spend some time on the weekend to cad up and cut out a new internal double baffle for the bubbles and make a venturi intake for the pump as there are not really any other options in the small footprint the DFC-80 has.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this. I gave up and purchased an ultra reef. Even when it did seem to work it never did a good job. It now sits in storage as an emergency backup.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back