Is my aquarium cycled

Tofty189

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I am new to saltwater though I have had a tropical tank for a few years

I recently changed over to a marine aquarium and I have puzzled my self a little with reading too many articles
I am 16 days into my fish in cycle (2 clowns) I dosed dr tims one and only and have been testing daily I seem to now be stuck with nitrites 5/6ppm ( my latest reading yesterday were amm 0, nitrites 5/6ppm, nitrates 15/20 ppm, ph 7.8, I have done a 25% this morning..my question is...is my tank now cycled? I have read conflicting info regarding nitrites.
Any help will be much appreciated

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say so. If those numbers are correct you are converting ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate. I wouldn't go overboard with stocking though. You want to progress slowly so that your bio filter can expand with the load.

OP
OP
T

Tofty189

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say so. If those numbers are correct you are converting ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate. I wouldn't go overboard with stocking though. You want to progress slowly so that your bio filter can expand with the load.
Thanks for the reply I was expecting the nitrites to fall back down to 0 they just seem to have stuck at 5/6ppm it's thrown me a little

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it cycled... don't worry about nitrites in marine tanks.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrite reading may be an artifact of the test you're using. Per @Poof No Eyebrows (gotta love that name by the way) it sounds like you're cycling correctly with the production of nitrate. Add more livestock slowly so that your load doesn't outgrow your filter. Have fun!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I am new to saltwater though I have had a tropical tank for a few years

I recently changed over to a marine aquarium and I have puzzled my self a little with reading too many articles
I am 16 days into my fish in cycle (2 clowns) I dosed dr tims one and only and have been testing daily I seem to now be stuck with nitrites 5/6ppm ( my latest reading yesterday were amm 0, nitrites 5/6ppm, nitrates 15/20 ppm, ph 7.8, I have done a 25% this morning..my question is...is my tank now cycled? I have read conflicting info regarding nitrites.
Any help will be much appreciated
Everyone is correct in that nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish, even at what we consider very high levels, and at least for the short term. Here's Randy's article on it: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php, so you can feel very confident about this assessment. Randy is the guy we named our chemistry forum after, so yeah.

I don't do fish-in cycling so I don't know the process and can't really help out too much there, but yeah at least I can say the above about nitrite.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back