Is my battle with Dinoflagellates over?

Ty85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few years in to the Hobby I've had two major battles as of recently. A major takeover of green hair algae due to excess nutrients, followed shortly by a major nutrient deficiency after addition of a refugium with Chaeto and copepods which brought on Dinoflagellates. I never identified them however I threw the kitchen sink at them. Lights out for 3 days followed by a much shorter lighting schedule, daily vacuuming of rocks and sand with no water changes. Throwing out the Chemipure in exchange for plain activated carbon and dosing nitrate and phosphate and testing daily. I also cut the chaeto back to half its size. I have stopped dosing for almost a week now and I have readable nitrates and phosphates that are within limits. Now I have started to see a diatom bloom on the sand. I am not sure when I should do a water change now without backtracking.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any pics of tank under white?

OP
OP
Ty85

Ty85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. The diatoms are only in some places with lower flow towards the back. This pic shows my glass getting film again. It hasn't in a while.

Attachments

• 20220218_114246.jpg
    20220218_114246.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 23

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back