Is my BTA too far gone to save? HELP!

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this BTA for a few months now and it has always been beautiful. My tank underwent a red-cyano outbreak so I had to treat that issue. After that, I noticed my anemone (just this one since I have several) had not been looking very good. (for about 2 weeks now)

The red-cyano is now gone (thank god) but then my tank had a huge nitrate spike
(like 50-60 ppm) during the time it started to look unhealthy. Still, all of my other anemones were doing fine.

All of my levels now are:
Nitrate: <5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: < .25 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.024
Temperature: 77 degrees F

This picture is from today. Is it a goner or can it be saved? Was it the nitrate spike? Or was it the red-cyano? All of this happened so suddenly.

BE97BE6E-3EB7-441F-AEF6-C123B4EE05FB.jpeg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it’s attached to a rock and it’s mouth is open leave it be. They can regenerate. Mine lost all its tentacles and looked dead. Went into a “hibernation” type of state and is now bouncing back with new tentacles.

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use to treat that cyano?
I don’t recommend doing what I did but I felt it was a necessary evil because of the situation. I took all of my rocks out and took a toothbrush to them. Then I gave them a bath in hydrogen peroxide. I rinsed the rocks off for a long time to make sure no peroxide was still on there before I returned them to the tank. I lost my bacteria on the rocks for sure but I felt as if I had enough in the filter and in the sand bed to be alright until the bacteria count was back up. The cyano was so bad though and I felt like that was the more emergent issue.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend doing what I did but I felt it was a necessary evil because of the situation. I took all of my rocks out and took a toothbrush to them. Then I gave them a bath in hydrogen peroxide. I rinsed the rocks off for a long time to make sure no peroxide was still on there before I returned them to the tank. I lost my bacteria on the rocks for sure but I felt as if I had enough in the filter and in the sand bed to be alright until the bacteria count was back up. The cyano was so bad though and I felt like that was the more emergent issue.
I would leave it be and just watch it. I think the rock situation is not good. While you have bacteria in the sand, destroying anything in all the rock at once might just of been to much of a change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back