Is my calcium and magnesium level acceptable and why my Alkalinity is dropping?

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

So far I have a fish only tank but I am planning to introduce corals in the near future. This is the time for me to experiment with the salt mix and see if I can keep water chemistry consistent.

I have to say parameters were consistent in the past weeks, but due to the nature of the salt I use (Red Sea Coral Pro) and the fact that I am trying to keep salinity levels on 35ppt I have slightly high Magnesium and Calcium levels - or maybe they not high at all, I am hoping you can tell me that:

I am planning to keep softies and a few LPS, would Calcium levels of 480-500 ppm and magnesium levels of 1500 ppm will be fine? I believe these are slightly higher than should be? Also would this cause harm of other life like clownfish and cleanup crew?

Despite every metric is consistent the alkalinity dropped from 12 to 7.5 in a week, why would that be also is that too bad?

Thank you kindly!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium is fine.

I'm not sure the magnesium is really that high (many folks have issues measuring magnesium, especially with the Red Sea kit).

How are you measuring salinity? High salinity will boost those.

Alk normally drops, especially in high alk salt mixes. Is nitrate rising? That will deplete alkalinity, as will precipitation of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium is fine.

I'm not sure the magnesium is really that high (many folks have issues measuring magnesium, especially with the Red Sea kit).

How are you measuring salinity? High salinity will boost those.

Alk normally drops, especially in high alk salt mixes. Is nitrate rising? That will deplete alkalinity, as will precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Thank you!
I am measuring salinity with a D and D refractometer that was calibrated and has the same readings as my LFS’s device (which is a digital one)

Nitrate is between 2-3 a week ago was 1.

Magnesiun was measured with a Salifert kit, Alkalinity and Calcium with the Red Sea kit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back