Is my Calcium Just a Little Low or Too Low? Anyone Else use AF Reef Salt?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this isn't just another "what salt is best" post, I started using AF Reef Salt a month or two ago and find that the calcium in it is only about 385 freshly mixed (bucket claims it should be about 440) and I've always been told 420 is about where your tank should be for hard corals so I'm a little low. I posted something similar a few days ago and people seemed to think 380 was ok for calcium but is it likely to slow growth if my levels are only 380? I'm considering switching to a different salt if this is gonna affect my coral growth. Do you guys think I just got a bad batch maybe? Everything else is where it should be.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Pro Calcium test and the reason I want to double check if it's an ok level is because I'm about to add my first acros soon

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you double checked salinity?

It's not uncommon for small variances in a mix, but if the bucket claims 440, and your seeing 380, it could be the salinity.
That's what I was thinking and it's possible but everything else is in range

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your salinity?
I make sure to test calcium at 35 ppt...it could be my refractometer is off and I'm gonna try to use Randy Holmes Farley's home calibration mix to recalibrate today...if it is correct though, what would you do?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Know if I want I can dose calcium but I shouldn't need to do that at this point, it's just an unnecessary expense that my salt should contain...is it low enough to cause issues though?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure to test calcium at 35 ppt...it could be my refractometer is off and I'm gonna try to use Randy Holmes Farley's home calibration mix to recalibrate today...if it is correct though, what would you do?
It’s common for salinity to be off, do the diy salinity Calibration, you may be surprised.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should just stick with it for another month or so though...even if my refractometer is correct, I can't imagine every bucket is that far off...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucket of salt?

Stratification of salt buckets is a real thing(meaning element fall out of suspension). You should shake and roll the bucket around prior to using.
Ok I'll do that...I'll probably be getting a new bucket this week. I've just never had that issue before but it's possible

Back