Is my chaeto dying?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this chaeto from @AlgaeBarn on December 1st. Might be hard to see in the pic, but I am not sure if it is dying or not. Might be detritus attached to it but not sure. I am using the Neptune GRO light as you can see in the picture, so it shouldn't be too much light. I am running it for 8 hours a day. What do you think?

IMG_0809.jpg

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’d recommend draining some saltwater in a bucket and shaking it out really well in that then putting it back in your tank, it does look like detritus on the chaeto but hard to tell from the pic

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Benpastw mentioned a great way to clean it and it does look like just detritus build up. Do you have a picture with just white lights or maybe if you turn the gro light off and use the flash on your phone?

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend draining some saltwater in a bucket and shaking it out really well in that then putting it back in your tank, it does look like detritus on the chaeto but hard to tell from the pic
Thanks. I will definitely do this.
@Benpastw mentioned a great way to clean it and it does look like just detritus build up. Do you have a picture with just white lights or maybe if you turn the gro light off and use the flash on your phone?
Yeah, I just took a pic of the chaeto without gro light on. I will also post my nutrient levels when I get home tonight.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are a bit higher then 25 in the Nyos test and phosphate is 0.5 on the Hannah Checker.

jaxcarnage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build up looks exactly as mine, detritus build up, as @sanzz18 mentioned clean it up. Give it 1 QTR and it should more than double in size. (take a picture before and after)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Chaeto grows out from what I can see in my fuge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back