Is my clownfish prolapsed??

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
I posted a bit ago about my female clown being bloated. I've observed some spawning behavior since then and thought maybe she was preparing to lay eggs. Hasn't happened yet and this morning she has a bubble coming out of her butt. Not a great photo but you can see the bubble. What the heck is this? She's eating enthusiastically, otherwise seems ok.
IMG_2832.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
I posted a bit ago about my female clown being bloated. I've observed some spawning behavior since then and thought maybe she was preparing to lay eggs. Hasn't happened yet and this morning she has a bubble coming out of her butt. Not a great photo but you can see the bubble. What the heck is this? She's eating enthusiastically, otherwise seems ok.
IMG_2832.JPG
It could be merely 'going to lay eggs' - but it does appear a little more swollen than usual. There can be a prolapsed Cloaca as well as a prolapsed rectum. I would not think this is a rectal prolapse - better pictures would be helpful. There is not much to do except to wait.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,
IMG_2832.JPG
This can be either prolapse(caused by constipation) or constipation itself which causes a distended tube. These issues are often caused by dietary issues with too large of pieces or food too dry lacking fats causing an anal obstruction. Examples are pellet diets and frozen supplements are a must containing fats and aminos. Some signs are weight loss, erratic swimming, weird swimming action, bloated belly and hanging near surface of tank.
Kanamyacin May help with this. The method of peas and epsom salts is a freshwater remedy and likely not work

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This can be either prolapse(caused by constipation) or constipation itself which causes a distended tube. These issues are often caused by dietary issues with too large of pieces or food too dry lacking fats causing an anal obstruction. Examples are pellet diets and frozen supplements are a must containing fats and aminos. Some signs are weight loss, erratic swimming, weird swimming action, bloated belly and hanging near surface of tank.
Kanamyacin May help with this. The method of peas and epsom salts is a freshwater remedy and likely not work
So, I decided to wait a while to see if it would sort itself out. A month later she is still huge, the "bubble" comes and goes in severity, but she's still eating normally. I feed mostly frozen mysis and spirulina brine shrimp. Pellets (TDO) once a week or so, so I can soak them in selcon. I'm just hoping it's not a swim bladder issue...is there anything else I can do before considering firing up the qt tank and putting her through all that? Link to a video from yesterday evening:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I decided to wait a while to see if it would sort itself out. A month later she is still huge, the "bubble" comes and goes in severity, but she's still eating normally. I feed mostly frozen mysis and spirulina brine shrimp. Pellets (TDO) once a week or so, so I can soak them in selcon. I'm just hoping it's not a swim bladder issue...is there anything else I can do before considering firing up the qt tank and putting her through all that? Link to a video from yesterday evening:

Not prolapse but rather may be full of eggs or constipated. If constipation, often brine shrimp will help it pass waste but also look my females when they are egg bound

Back