Is my DIY aquarium stand for 180 gallon reef tank usable? Construction experts, please chime in.

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all,

Let me preface this post with a full disclaimer. I have zero construction experience, which will probably be pretty clear upon viewing the attached photos. I'm trying to replicate the aquarium stand referenced here: http://www.reefnation.com/diy-aquarium-stand-build. Or something similar to that stand.

I used Douglas Fir 4x4s. The stand measures 72"x 40"x 24". It's held together by galvanized 6" lag screws. I also added some right-angle braces for extra support. Unfortunately, having no construction experience, I executed the build poorly. It feels very sturdy to me. It isn't bowed at all. It lies perfectly flat against the ground, but there is a slight amount of play or movement in the stand's structure if I try to rock it one way or the other. I'm guessing that movement is normal, but I don't know.

When I laid the top board on the stand, I noticed that the stand was not constructed as a perfect rectangle. It's slightly off. Probably a slightly-off parallelogram.

Do you think this stand, in its current condition, will support a 180 gallon reef tank? If not, how can I rescue or salvage this stand to workable condition for a 180 gallon reef tank?

Thanks,
Jon

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3924.JPG

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough for me to tell. It sure looks stout, but I don’t think a stand for a tank as heavy has a 180 should have any play in it. I hope a good diyer can give you some better insight than I can.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all,

Let me preface this post with a full disclaimer. I have zero construction experience, which will probably be pretty clear upon viewing the attached photos. I'm trying to replicate the aquarium stand referenced here: http://www.reefnation.com/diy-aquarium-stand-build. Or something similar to that stand.

I used Douglas Fir 4x4s. The stand measures 72"x 40"x 24". It's held together by galvanized 6" lag screws. I also added some right-angle braces for extra support. Unfortunately, having no construction experience, I executed the build poorly. It feels very sturdy to me. It isn't bowed at all. It lies perfectly flat against the ground, but there is a slight amount of play or movement in the stand's structure if I try to rock it one way or the other. I'm guessing that movement is normal, but I don't know.

When I laid the top board on the stand, I noticed that the stand was not constructed as a perfect rectangle. It's slightly off. Probably a slightly-off parallelogram.

Do you think this stand, in its current condition, will support a 180 gallon reef tank? If not, how can I rescue or salvage this stand to workable condition for a 180 gallon reef tank?

Thanks,
Jon

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3924.JPG

I can also see that the top board doesn't have full contact with the stand all the way round.

If it was me I would look at this like training and some lessons learned. I would make a new one and try to make it one step better. Tighter cuts, closer measurements.

I don't think it would necessarily fail but if it has play when you rock it and isn't straight I would take the chance now to make a do over.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't.... looks like when you get weight on it you would be able to push it over from the side....

you need to use 2x4's and make your joints like this

WxPT8dc.jpg

stagger them so that they are taking the load sideways also... and you dont need to use right angle braces... they will snap like a twig if the tank starts falling sideways...

im not trying to be mean, i dont want to see a post about my new 180 fell sideways and broke and flooded my house

basically you build a box for the top and bottom.... put 2x4's inside it for the supports, and then put 2x4's on the outside of those so they take the weight between the 2 boxes... a close friend of mine who is a construction engineer told me that 1 8' 2x4 can take almost 500lbs of compression weight before it fails... so you dont really need the 4x4's

Last edited:

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust that with that weight. 3.5" wood screws and doubled notched 2x4s go a long way. 17 years in construction, I would say not only tight joints, but locked in some way either by notch, diagonal bracing, etc.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust that with that weight. 3.5" wood screws and doubled notched 2x4s go a long way. 17 years in construction, I would say not only tight joints, but locked in some way either by notch, diagonal bracing, etc.

i didn't think of diagonal bracing... good call....

i didn't use any on my stand because i put a sheet of 3/8" oak plywood on the front of mine and cut doors in it...

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
block wedging is also phenomenal. If you notch your uprights for your header, run a single 2x4 across and cut another 2x4 so tight you have to use baby powder to slide it in behind it tightly against the inside edges of the uprights therefor making it a physical impossibility for the joint to shift. I would stay away from lags and stay with 3.5 deckmates.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for your replies. I'll go back to the drawing board.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done custom woodworking for about 30 years. You got a lot of good advice. The only thing that I would caution you about is the glue you choose. Please stay completely away from gorilla glue. It is in my experience the worst glue ever made. Good luck, if you follow the other people's advice you will have a good stand that should never fail

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two decades as a woodworker, don't take this the wrong way, don't put 1500lbs of water on top of that stand. There are a ton of DIY videos on making aquarium stands. Do some research, read and watch, learn from the trials of others. Without knowing your tanks dimensions it's hard to help you put something together. Use 2x6 lumber for the laterals on the top, try not to span more than 3-4 feet without a vertical support. Glue and screw everything together with Titebond wood glue and put a full sheet on the back to prevent racking.

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done custom woodworking for about 30 years. You got a lot of good advice. The only thing that I would caution you about is the glue you choose. Please stay completely away from gorilla glue. It is in my experience the worst glue ever made. Good luck, if you follow the other people's advice you will have a good stand that should never fail

Titebond all the way!!! Don’t even use gorilla super glue for my frag plugs [emoji23]

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine for my 185gl that I built. I used 2x4 for the corners & 2x6 for center supports. I used 1/2x1 support pieces across the bottom with 3/4" plywood floor & 1x4 edging making a well area to catch any water accidents & covered it with white Flex Seal to make it water tite. Plywood sides,top, frt & back is 1/2" birch. 1st time I ever tried anything like this so just take your & follow everyone's advice. Lot of good people on this site.
Disregard the water in the tank, I'm switching from Black coarse sand to regular sand for sand sifters that I want to get. waiting for it to clear before putting everything back in.
20180118_202922.jpg
20180118_202936.jpg
20180118_202954.jpg

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine for my 185gl that I built. I used 2x4 for the corners & 2x6 for center supports. I used 1/2x1 support pieces across the bottom with 3/4" plywood floor & 1x4 edging making a well area to catch any water accidents & covered it with white Flex Seal to make it water tite. Plywood sides,top, frt & back is 1/2" birch. 1st time I ever tried anything like this so just take your & follow everyone's advice. Lot of good people on this site.
Disregard the water in the tank, I'm switching from Black coarse sand to regular sand for sand sifters that I want to get. waiting for it to clear before putting everything back in.
20180118_202922.jpg
20180118_202936.jpg
20180118_202954.jpg

That looks fantastic

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back