Is my Favia dying? First pic is when I got it.

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my favia dying? It's green color has started receding and the receded area is red in color but doesn't appear to be dead.

These are before and after pics.

Thanks in advance

IMAG1236[1].jpg
IMAG1250[1].jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely not happy. What are your water parameters like?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a picture of it without the blues on? How long have you had the coral for? Do you have any other corals in the tank, how are they doing? Do you have any ornamental shrimp in the tank?
That red your seeing might be Cyanobacteria growing on the exposed skeleton. You might want use a soft brush and get rid of that and then find the coral some shade for awhile and see how it responds. Perhaps it's just receiving too much light where it's at now.

OP
OP
John Hughes

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a picture of it without the blues on? How long have you had the coral for? Do you have any other corals in the tank, how are they doing? Do you have any ornamental shrimp in the tank?
That red your seeing might be Cyanobacteria growing on the exposed skeleton. You might want use a soft brush and get rid of that and then find the coral some shade for awhile and see how it responds. Perhaps it's just receiving too much light where it's at now.

I picked this guy up from my lfs on Nov 6th. It was on the sand bed and seemed to be plumping up nicely and then started this.

My Alk is 8, Cal 490 and Mag 1600 other than Nitrates at 5 everything else is spot on. No cyno or any coraline algae, no algae actually. The tank is 7 months old.

I have one other coral, a Lobo, whose tissue was receding but appears to be healing. All other corals are doing great and no shrimp.

I'll try a shady spot and see if it recovers.

OP
OP
John Hughes

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this guy up from my lfs on Nov 6th. It was on the sand bed and seemed to be plumping up nicely and then started this.

My Alk is 8, Cal 490 and Mag 1600 other than Nitrates at 5 everything else is spot on. No cyno or any coraline algae, no algae actually. The tank is 7 months old.

I have one other coral, a Lobo, whose tissue was receding but appears to be healing. All other corals are doing great and no shrimp.

I'll try a shady spot and see if it recovers.

IMAG1252[1].jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back