OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long has the tank been running? I thought it said 2 weeks in?
Yes but I don't understand why that's an issue? I filled it with cycled water from my DT that has never had livestock. I put dry rock in it for the bac to bind. I don't understand why the age of my QT is an issue?

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it but bacteria blooms still happen with dry new rock especially without a bio-load or seeing live rock. Corals feed on nitrate, fish foods,, and fish poop. I get qt set up for sure just no bioload is scary, no seeded live rock with beneficial bacteria is scary, but I agree if parameters are on it shouldn't had died. Sometimes it's a crop shot in corals and they just don't transfer well.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I get it but bacteria blooms still happen with dry new rock especially without a bio-load or seeing live rock. Corals feed on nitrate, fish foods,, and fish poop. I get qt set up for sure just no bioload is scary, no seeded live rock with beneficial bacteria is scary, but I agree if parameters are on it shouldn't had died. Sometimes it's a crop shot in corals and they just don't transfer well.
Because I am being safe, I have a QT for fish and another just for coral. Being safe, I also won't use live rock. I have seen people say don't dip euphyllias because they are prone to being stressed and will get brown jelly disease. It's amazing how fast bjd killed my 2 euphyllias. I used water from my cycled DT so, unless I'm wrong, I do have beneficial bacteria?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Because I am being safe, I have a QT for fish and another just for coral. Being safe, I also won't use live rock. I have seen people say don't dip euphyllias because they are prone to being stressed and will get brown jelly disease. It's amazing how fast bjd killed my 2 euphyllias. I used water from my cycled DT so, unless I'm wrong, I do have beneficial bacteria?

I'm not an expert in this by it is my understanding that the bacteria is in the rock/sand/filtration media and not the water. Transferring water from a cycled tank won't instantly cycle a new tank. That might be why you had ammonia in your QT.

That said, I'm not sure if the, potentially, uncycled tank has anything to do with the loss of your corals.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I don't understand why that's an issue? I filled it with cycled water from my DT that has never had livestock. I put dry rock in it for the bac to bind. I don't understand why the age of my QT is an issue?
Sorry you lost the hammers.
We can do home tests for a dozen water parameters, and send a sample to icp test a few dozen more. If you read these threads, there's support for older tanks being able to keep more difficult corals. Difficult to understand why. Maybe the reefer has learned the best way to keep easier corals, flow, light etc. Maybe the tank has established a bacteria biome conducive to harder corals.
Members on these forums request water parameters since having those within check are generally necessary for success, but do not guarantee it.
If we could could give you a more definite answer than, "be patient" we would.
Watch for coralline algae after a few months, that is a good 1st indicator that water is good for supporting some basic hard corals.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you get bjd consider heavy water changes(duh). Dose iodide or iodine to the tank. make sure you skimmer is functioning correctly. Ive even heard that bluing out the lights can help a bit. And remove as much of it with a turkey baster as possible. Ive saved a few coral from this disease. Also check all your parameters. This one looks like it was an ammonia spike. I keep ammonia, phosphate and nitrate removers just in case. There fairly cheap and likely to be used at some point.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To be frank here, correct me if I'm wrong, but my tank being cycled or not isn't relevant to whether or not my frogspawn would have gotten bjd and then spread it to my hammer. I saw the brown jelly 2 days after putting it in my QT. I just didn't know what it was at the time and left it alone. People on here were saying it's just coral poop. My guess right now is that it got stressed from the Coral RX dip. Keep in mind also that my other corals in the same QT are as happy as can be. Open and full extension. My dilemma right now is what should I do when I get another euphyllia? Maybe I shouldn't get the Aussie variety? Dip with Lugol's iodine? Or don't do anything different and chalk this up to bad luck.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be frank here, correct me if I'm wrong, but my tank being cycled or not isn't relevant to whether or not my frogspawn would have gotten bjd and then spread it to my hammer. I saw the brown jelly 2 days after putting it in my QT. I just didn't know what it was at the time and left it alone. People on here were saying it's just coral poop. My guess right now is that it got stressed from the Coral RX dip. Keep in mind also that my other corals in the same QT are as happy as can be. Open and full extension. My dilemma right now is what should I do when I get another euphyllia? Maybe I shouldn't get the Aussie variety? Dip with Lugol's iodine? Or don't do anything different and chalk this up to bad luck.
All corals would have died if it was really a water issue. The corals you have is just as sensitive and hardy as the frog and hammer. If those are doing fine, I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. You ended up with a bad situation and it happens. The wall hammers are very prone to getting BJD I don't know anything about your frogspawn.

Back