Is my leather gonna have a baby?

KaitieLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello helpful people, quick question. Our leather has been growing like crazy and I noticed it had this lump growing on it. It seems happy and healthy but now the lump has little tentacles. I’m thinking maybe a new baby? Although I was under the impression that leathers will split with a hole or fissure. Any help or answers welcome! Il

9FE69BA0-8B23-48F4-BFC4-D7F41772029B.jpeg 06FBE869-9AAC-458E-BE17-2538989ABC4F.jpeg 784DFDB5-6F10-4F32-AC0B-C7A18E318EE3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Leathers don’t necessarily have babies but Will shed and drop a fragment which attaches and re-grows
Once in ca a while, s new shoot will emerge

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
KaitieLady

KaitieLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question fellow reefers, we are wanting to transfer the baby leathers from our small tank Into our 40 gal breeder to begin growing. Our clowns live in the big leather and are staying in our fluval. Any tips on how to detach the shoots successfully from the larger main stalk so we can put them in our 40 gal? TIA

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question fellow reefers, we are wanting to transfer the baby leathers from our small tank Into our 40 gal breeder to begin growing. Our clowns live in the big leather and are staying in our fluval. Any tips on how to detach the shoots successfully from the larger main stalk so we can put them in our 40 gal? TIA
Cut them off at the base. I like to use fragging scissors as it leaves a cleaner cut

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, then just put them on the rocks and hope for the best?
If you can’t get part of the rock that they’re attached too with a little chisel or bone shears, you can just cut them off as close to the base as possible. If you go that route, getting them to attach can be a pain. There are several methods. You can put a toothpick through the bottom of the leather (like a piercing) and then use a rubberband attached to the ends of the toothpick to hold it onto a frag plug. You can put it a cup with some rubble or sand for a couple weeks and once some of the substrate sticks to it, you can then glue it to a frag plug (the glue won’t stick to the leather but will stick to the sand/rubble attached to the leather). You can wedge the pieces between rocks in your scape, this may be difficult with really small pieces. The idea is to basically get it to attach to something small so that you can then glue onto your rockwork.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back