Is my lighting schedule providing to MUCH light, or too LONG of a light period? Or is it perfect?!? T5/LED Hybrid

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I have a 165g 5x2x2 tank with a hybrid lighting system T5 and LED. I have 4xT5 (2x BluePlus, 2x CoralPlus), and 6 XR15 Radion Pro's with diffusers. The lights sit about 10" off the surface of the water. My T5's run from 8:30am - 6:00pm (9.5 hours) each day. My LED's are on the following schedule, with a ramp up of only blues and purples in the early morning and late evening, with a fairly full spectrum during the day from 9:30am-5pm (see pictures below that show setting).

My question is - am I blasting my corals with too much light, or too long of a light period? My max spectrum for LED's is 7.5 hours, and the ramp up and down are 3 hours in the morning and 4.5 hours at night. PAR is roughly 400 at the top of the tank, 300 in the middle, and 200 on the sand at full strength.

I'm keeping some SPS somewhat successfully, but they're not growing very well and some of the more finicky SPS (e.g. Sexy Corals Orang Passion) aren't living. I've tried 3 of the SC Orange Passion over the past 6 months and they've all died. Same with some other acros. Stags, my WWC Yellow tips, and my Walt Disney are doing fine, albeit not growing very fast.

A few different notes about my system - phosphates are consistently a bit high (0.1-0.2 ppm - I'm working on getting them down slowly), Nitrates are 5-10, Alk is stable a 8.0dKH, calcium and magnesium all good, ICP tests come back with pretty much perfect parameters and trace elements. I run a refugium with chaeto which grows like a weed, I have coralline caked on my rocks, and I run a skimmer 24/7. about 15 fish in the tank that I feed moderately - not too much, but enough that my phosphates and nitrates stay high enough (sometimes I dose N a bit to keep it up). Other than that, not much else - I try to keep it pretty simple.

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks!

Overall Light Schedule for LED:

1629376340239.png

Purples and Blues during ramp up/down

1629376371048.png

Full spectrum light from 9:30am-5pm:
1629376392440.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lights are not the problem.

Seems like everything is correct parameter wise. I don’t think those phosphates will cause SPS corals to die.

Are the corals STN/RTN?

How long has the tank been running?

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Miami Reef the tank has been up for almost 3 years, but I did kind of a haulover at the 18month point where I took out all the rock and sand (I originally started with 100% dead rock and sand) and replaced it with 100% live rock, direct from KP Aquatics, still in water, directly into my tank That was a bout 15 months ago. So you could say it's 15 months old. I couldn't keep SPS to save my life prior to adding the live rock.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's more of a STN from the bottom up. Their bases start to get a bit white, but not the instant, stark white that you see when something RTN's overnight. Then it slowly creeps up the whole stick after a few days/weeks. Here's a few pics of some of the good, bad, and FTS of my tank:

Good:
Paletta Tricolor

IMG_9634.JPG

Blue Stag:
IMG_9636.JPG

Semi-Bad:

Red tabling acro

IMG_9631.JPG

SC Orange Passion:

IMG_9633.JPG

Green Highlighter (I think) - I broke off a nub just for fun to see if it would do anything)
IMG_9635.JPG

Full Tank Shot:
IMG_9637.JPG

MamaMolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if you ever figured this out. You have a similar set up to my new tank

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't really have an update. I continue to have issues with some SPS, while others are decent. I did go down to 3 G4 LED's from six and recently shortened the time period of full light to 6 hours. Too early to tell if this helps but hopefully I'll know in a few weeks/months.

Phosphates continues to be something I battle with a bit, and I think it might be my biggest issue. I am able to keep them around 0.05-0.1 with GFO, but it feels like a bit of a yo-yo when I put in GFO, bump it down, then stop the GFO so it doesn't bottom out, and then start it again. I know that's not the ideal way to do it, but I haven't found a way to balance it yet.

More to come....!

Back