Is my Montipora growing or dying?

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m an LPS fanatic and I’ve only just bought my first montipora so my knowledge is far slimmer than that of LPS corals. From this picture, is my montipora growing or dying? If it’s dying, do you know anything I can do to mitigate that? Thank you!

E4160865-82B3-4A33-9F74-6327D6C18EF8.jpeg

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its dying on the shaded sides. Post params, post tank, what light, what flow?

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its dying on the shaded sides. Post params, post tank, what light, what flow?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 5-10
Nitrites: 0
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1350
Alkalinity: 10
Temperature: 28 Celsius. I usually don’t keep at this temperature, however, the tank is fallowing after a velvet outbreak so I increased temperature for that reason. It would usually be 24
In regards to the light, it is the Marine light that comes with the Fluval Flex 123
the flow is low in that area of the tank.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate?? Do you test. Lost one previously due to phosphate going to zero

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate?? Do you test. Lost one previously due to phosphate going to zero
I don’t have a phosphate test at the moment and don’t test for it. I’ll definitely look into buying a test tomorrow to try and check things off as being okay or in the danger zone. Thank you!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti’s for me are great but just seem very sensitive to alk swings and no phosphate. Otherwise easy.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti’s for me are great but just seem very sensitive to alk swings and no phosphate. Otherwise easy.
They’re definitely what attracted me to SPS and they’re very beautiful corals. I just wish they had the same easy care requirements of LPS but that comes with the hobby lol. I’ll be sure to keep parameters stable and learn as much as I can about phosphate.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is dying. I also think that is a chalice and not a montipora.
I gotta agree here. Looks like the same chalice that was sold to me as a monti before I figured out the guy who sold it to me didn’t know anything about corals. Should be a fast grower I think.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is dying. I also think that is a chalice and not a montipora.
I gotta agree here. Looks like the same chalice that was sold to me as a monti before I figured out the guy who sold it to me didn’t know anything about corals. Should be a fast grower I think.
Oh wow, that’s surprising. The person that runs the store is a marine biologist so that’s concerning lol. I wish I knew more about SPS but slowly slowly. I’m thankful that I like the coral. Do you think that my temperature being 28 Celsius would be frustrating the coral or do you think it would be something else?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that’s surprising. The person that runs the store is a marine biologist so that’s concerning lol. I wish I knew more about SPS but slowly slowly. I’m thankful that I like the coral. Do you think that my temperature being 28 Celsius would be frustrating the coral or do you think it would be something else?

I certainly dont think that temp is helping any, but cant say it is the cause of the issues. I am not sure what light/flow you have it under, but assuming it was placed in pretty high light/flow with the thought it was a monti. If so I would move to low to moderate light at most and moderate flow.

As for the ID am even more confident it is a chalice after seeing it larger on my PC screen now. The size and pattern of those corralites is just not a monti (unless that is a tiny frag that you have zoomed in super close)

Back