Is my Naso tang too skinny?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tangs were purchased from live aquaria. The naso was one of the first tangs added (about 3 weeks ago). He has this bony line going horizontally.

I feed LRS and nori twice a day. Both broadcast fed. I always make sure he’s eating and he is. He eats well but he still looks like this.

Here are 2 pictures. One I edited to remove the harsh blues so you can see the definition better.
BD75379B-F10C-4A99-8311-00900998B8E6.jpeg
11F16344-445A-4578-A587-D27CB2EF33B4.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops. Posted at same time as you.

Is there anyone who can help? :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso does look a bit skinny, but the other tangs look pretty good. This may just be an issue of not quite enough food to bulk it up. You could try feeding some higher fat meaty foods- mysid shrimp for example, feed a bit more and a bit more often.
The fish may have internal parasites, but those can be compensated by feeding a bit more. Medicated food is an option, but it is tricky to dose properly (there is a couple of files at the top of the forum that discusses this).
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this fish is no doubt thin.
Is it eating?
If so, what other foods are you feeding it?
How does fish respond when food is introduced to the tank?

If fish is eating and responds to food, this is a partial diet. Feed the following foods at minimum:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso does look a bit skinny, but the other tangs look pretty good. This may just be an issue of not quite enough food to bulk it up. You could try feeding some higher fat meaty foods- mysid shrimp for example, feed a bit more and a bit more often.
The fish may have internal parasites, but those can be compensated by feeding a bit more. Medicated food is an option, but it is tricky to dose properly (there is a couple of files at the top of the forum that discusses this).
Jay
First: is Mysid food the same as Mysis? I feed LRS herbivore frenzy.

Second: how can feeding foods treat his parasites? Will they eventually go away without treatment??

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this fish is no doubt thin.
Is it eating?
If so, what other foods are you feeding it?
How does fish respond when food is introduced to the tank?

If fish is eating and responds to food, this is a partial diet. Feed the following foods at minimum:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
The naso tang is eating well. I just fed the tank a second ago and he ate.

I only fed the herbivore frenzy LRS and the nori.
I’m going to get all the other foods in that list. That looks like a really good diet!

But will diet help him fight possible worms? Won’t the worm just have a tastier snack? How does this work?

Im getting the vitamins tomorrow. Contemplating if I should pick up some metroplex and focus.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed him many times a day, he is malnourished. I would feed it 10 times daily until it’s pit weight on. Obviously your tank should be well established and also have good nutrient export. You can fatten him up in a month if you feed heavy.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just fed again with rods food. I took a video of the reaction the Naso tang had. I fed nori after this video but he wasn’t interested. He like carnivore food. But I’m going to buy the algae and spirulina food as well as the rest of the list.

I just don’t understand. Will this food actually help him with his possible parasites?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The naso tang is eating well. I just fed the tank a second ago and he ate.

I only fed the herbivore frenzy LRS and the nori.
I’m going to get all the other foods in that list. That looks like a really good diet!

But will diet help him fight possible worms? Won’t the worm just have a tastier snack? How does this work?

Im getting the vitamins tomorrow. Contemplating if I should pick up some metroplex and focus.
Assuming it has worms, even bath in Prazi pro will help. As Jay mentioned fatty foods, the list provides fats and aminos along with vitamin enriched supplements.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at your video, I say I have about the same size tank in about the same number of fishes you. For what it’s worth, I am home quite often, and I usually feed 6 to 8 times throughout the day. I got a little Naso Tang from my LSF about 3 ago— about the same size as yours, maybe a touch less ‘boney’— he’s fattened right up.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back