Is my Naso tang too skinny?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I just fed again with rods food. I took a video of the reaction the Naso tang had. I fed nori after this video but he wasn’t interested. He like carnivore food. But I’m going to buy the algae and spirulina food as well as the rest of the list.

I just don’t understand. Will this food actually help him with his possible parasites?

Feeding well. You know what to do now

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh! I remember a detail! During the first week I had him he had green poop that appeared stuck to his bum. It came out by the end of the day. I also saw him poop a few days ago and it was green.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso tang is eating well. I just fed the tank a second ago and he ate.

I only fed the herbivore frenzy LRS and the nori.
I’m going to get all the other foods in that list. That looks like a really good diet!

But will diet help him fight possible worms? Won’t the worm just have a tastier snack? How does this work?

Im getting the vitamins tomorrow. Contemplating if I should pick up some metroplex and focus.
Read my article in the library section on medicated foods - "metro and focus" won't work unless you dose it properly and nobody bothers to do that. Many of the internal parasites of fish have a complicated life cycle that can't be reproduced in captivity, so they are self-limiting, they won't grow in numbers. You just need the caloric intake to be greater than what they are stealing from the fish.

In the end, small naso tangs are more carnivores than herbivores - I just think you weren't feeding quite enough food, and then, the food was too low in fat and protein.

Jay

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the advice on feeding fattier foods and more often— for tangs, I fatten them up with nori.

I read that he’s not interested, if you present it rubber banded to a rock, or on a clip and he watches the other tangs eat it — it will often elicit a feeding response. Rubber banding to rock mimics taking algae from the rocks which they’re accustomed to in the ocean.

While nori isn’t as high in fat, if they graze on it and eat a higher volume of it, it tends to fatten them up faster. Higher volume of less calories is still a formula for success. If he begins eating nori you’ll be fine assuming there aren’t other parasites at play here.

Red nori is often a good “gateway” to eating nori in captivity. Not sure why, but I get many tangs and picky tangs to start eating it with red nori. The fact that it’s available to graze on much longer than frozen foods dropped in makes it a better alternative. I think it’s one of several “secret sauces” to keeping fish with high metabolism like moorish idols. Of course for that fish there’s a LOT more to it, but as an example that’s how I keep mine fat.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the advice on feeding fattier foods and more often— for tangs, I fatten them up with nori.

I read that he’s not interested, if you present it rubber banded to a rock, or on a clip and he watches the other tangs eat it — it will often elicit a feeding response. Rubber banding to rock mimics taking algae from the rocks which they’re accustomed to in the ocean.

While nori isn’t as high in fat, if they graze on it and eat a higher volume of it, it tends to fatten them up faster. Higher volume of less calories is still a formula for success. If he begins eating nori you’ll be fine assuming there aren’t other parasites at play here.

Red nori is often a good “gateway” to eating nori in captivity. Not sure why, but I get many tangs and picky tangs to start eating it with red nori. The fact that it’s available to graze on much longer than frozen foods dropped in makes it a better alternative. I think it’s one of several “secret sauces” to keeping fish with high metabolism like moorish idols. Of course for that fish there’s a LOT more to it, but as an example that’s how I keep mine fat.

Good luck! :)
Hi. I have a question:

This is in the ingredients of my herbivore frenzy:
  • Fresh Wild Caught Scallop
  • Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp
  • Fresh, Wild Caught Perch and Whitefish
  • Premium Mysis Shrimp
  • Squid
  • Premium Piscine Energetics Mysis Shrimp
  • E. Pacifica Krill
  • Fresh Shucked Oysters and Clams
  • Green and Purple Seaweed (Porphyra)
  • Blanched Broccoli Flowers and Carrot Shavings(Rich in Vitamins A&D)
  • Sea Lettuce (Ulva)
  • Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (Selco)
  • Buffered Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C to delay oxidation)
  • D. Salina (With beta carotene for increased pigmentation & immunity)
  • LRS Probiotic Blend
If this food contains the mysis shrimp, why would it make sense to buy separate mysis?

I didn’t see any recommendations of oysters. Are these not that good of a food?

Please answer my fish nutrition questions because I really want to learn.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a question:

• Premium Mysis Shrimp
  • Squid
  • E. Pacifica Krill
  • Sea Lettuce (Ulva)
  • LRS Probiotic Blend
If this food contains the mysis shrimp, why would it make sense to buy separate mysis?

PS. I’m not questioning any of the diet recommendations. I’m going to buy it all, I just want to learn so I can feel at peace that I’m doing a good thing vs being redundant.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a question:

• Premium Mysis Shrimp
  • Squid
  • E. Pacifica Krill
  • Sea Lettuce (Ulva)
  • LRS Probiotic Blend

Is that list in descending order of frequency in the mix? If so, it has plenty of fat and protein items in it, just feed more and more often. I just gave mysids as an example of a high fat food. Naso tangs are more open water planktivores than other species of tangs. I have some adult unicorn fish (another type of naso) that eat only meaty food items and a small amount of omnivore gel diet.
Jay

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a question:

• Premium Mysis Shrimp
  • Squid
  • E. Pacifica Krill
  • Sea Lettuce (Ulva)
  • LRS Probiotic Blend

Different species/types of fish have different needs. I don't see much in there that is "bad" it's all good. I'd say that oysters are fine food for most fish. Fish are considered omnivorous, by and large -- but really I'd better qualify them as opportunists. They eat what is available. I buy frozen food mixes and mix them together, melt it, strain, and add selcon, zoe, and vita chem and then freeze those I won't use in a week's time. But everyone has their own method -- I do this to improve nutrition and remove garbage that the food is frozen with. I hear "higher end" food providers such as Rod's food don't require this. But it's my habit so I do it, lol.

The key with keeping fish long-term is variety with foods. But don't count out nori -- this to me is the secret sauce for primarily herbivorous (but actually just opportunist lol) fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just fed again with rods food. I took a video of the reaction the Naso tang had. I fed nori after this video but he wasn’t interested. He like carnivore food. But I’m going to buy the algae and spirulina food as well as the rest of the list.

I just don’t understand. Will this food actually help him with his possible parasites?

Jay makes an underappreciated point about small naso tangs being more carnivore than herbivore.

How many times a day do you feed them like this? If it's once, then that is not nearly enough and may be the source of the problem.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay makes an underappreciated point about small naso tangs being more carnivore than herbivore.

How many times a day do you feed them like this? If it's once, then that is not nearly enough and may be the source of the problem.
Twice

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're seeing him eat. He looks juvenile stage which they aren't fat until they grow some more.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!

DC3C73DC-1EDF-4B21-A5DD-3D56DD83B3D9.jpeg
0B8AD680-5B93-426A-96C9-AEC23FDA5A05.jpeg