Is my new Caulerpa dying?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bunch of Caulerpa algae from someone today, but found out that it’s getting white tips as I acclimated it. Some stalks are becoming white and transparent. Is there any way to resolve this? the algae is brand new and I don’t want it to melt tomorrow. Nitrates are at an unmeasurably high level right now so it shouldn't having any nutrition issues.
1679806590662.png
1679807134458.png

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trim off the white stuff that’s dead! And change the lighting spectrum try red/a mix or a plant growth light compared to all blue for at least 8 hours a day. Test your water too and dose as needed.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trim off the white stuff that’s dead! And change the lighting spectrum try red/a mix or a plant growth light compared to all blue for at least 8 hours a day. Test your water too and dose as needed.
alr I just cut off as many white tips as I can see. What kinds of light/fixture do you recommend? I can't really attach anything down there that requires nuts and bolts, and it currently relies on some old coral light I've got.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do these look alright? most of the lamps are pretty expensive...
as long as they don't start dying when it starts up I'm fine with it, don't need any fancy lighting or anything

These will be fine. Caulerpa don't need a expensive fancy light.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also is it ok for me to trim off still living parts? I want to see if it'll proliferate in the main tank but idk if I can cut it without killing it

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Do these look alright? most of the lamps are pretty expensive...
as long as they don't start dying when it starts up I'm fine with it, don't need any fancy lighting or anything

The first one I sent you is cheaper lol but yes it will work! CAD conversion rate will be different. You don’t need 4 bulbs one will do.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one I sent you is cheaper lol but yes it will work! CAD conversion rate will be different. You don’t need 4 bulbs one will do.
yeah it’s just that this one is a clip - on, idk if one of those ring lights will actually be able to stand up correctly in my tank

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so uhh, what’s up with these now? they’re getting yellow tips on them, and seems like some stems are detaching from the whole cell. There’s hairy things stuck to it that has been there since day 2 that I didn’t mention as well, idk what those are.
@AydenLincoln any idea what’s going on here? they don’t look like they’re going sexual

Attachments

• 295AD929-4B3E-4703-94FC-BD107708A3FE.jpeg
    295AD929-4B3E-4703-94FC-BD107708A3FE.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 38

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so uhh, what’s up with these now? they’re getting yellow tips on them, and seems like some stems are detaching from the whole cell. There’s hairy things stuck to it that has been there since day 2 that I didn’t mention as well, idk what those are.
@AydenLincoln any idea what’s going on here? they don’t look like they’re going sexual
It’s growing new buds that’s good! Just make sure to prune it back regularly and remove any white/dead parts.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back