Is my new wrasse sick or stressed out?

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I got a wrasse on Sunday. It seems like everything was ok. He was eating Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday. I think my azure damsel chased him a bit on Sunday, but on Monday it seems no more chasing.

However, on Wednesday evening when I got home wrasse was sitting at the back of tank, on the bottom, and not moving, not a fin, only eyes looking up down etc, he was not eating when I tried to feed him. On Thursday night, he was sitting in corner at the top of tank, moving a bit more, but not really eating again. When lights got dim, he did move a bit more, but would not eat still.

I do not see anything on its skin, so do not think he is sick. Any suggestions?

Here is picture of him swimming on Monday.
MVIMG_20191027_200811.jpg

This is Wednesday:
MVIMG_20191030_214400.jpg

And this is today - Thursday:
MVIMG_20191031_212104.jpg

and another one today
MVIMG_20191031_212047.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's severally stressed behavior. Typically, "hiding" in an upper corner of the tank like that with wrasses is in attempt to get away from a bully. I suspect you have another tank mate trying to beat the crap out of him...

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's severally stressed behavior. Typically, "hiding" in an upper corner of the tank like that with wrasses is in attempt to get away from a bully. I suspect you have another tank mate trying to beat the crap out of him...
I'll try to watch over to see if he is getting bullied. Is there any course of action would you recommend? I suspect it is one of my damsels, if it is proven true, I will donate that damsel to store, but is there anything else would help wrasse to be less stressed?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to watch over to see if he is getting bullied. Is there any course of action would you recommend? I suspect it is one of my damsels, if it is proven true, I will donate that damsel to store, but is there anything else would help wrasse to be less stressed?
Sit back and watch from a distance for a while - it will become obvious pretty quickly who's the offender.
You can either remove the bulky or the pintail- that's the only way to make it better I'm afraid.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sitting and watching now for over 30 min. Wrasse is sitting on the bottom side, like in the second picture. Not moving a fin, can see just gills moving and eyes once in a while. No fish attacked him. He has not moved an inch from his spot. Should I make him move and see who attacks him?

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just watch... may take a few hours... could always put a camera on it... do not do anything to stress him out more... may think about giving him somewhere to hide though? A small terracotta flowerpot with some of the sand in it, out that in the corner hes chilling in...

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the tank and watch all the fish. Which one is most aggressive? Does your Wrasse come out to eat?

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at night he stayed in the same spot, on today too, haven't seen fishes chase him or anything. I put a pbc pipe near his spot. He moved to other corner where clowns digging hole. Clowns chasing off other fish from that spot, but didn't bother him. Now he is back by his spot but not going into pbc pipe.

I did not see wrasse eat at any time i fed fish, thurs - today (sat)

I do see that all my fish chase each other once in a while, but no big fights. Only 2 damsels circled each other for little while.

Just to list all fish i got besides my new Pinstripe Wrasse: 2 Azure damsels, 2 clowns, 1 midas blenny and 1 Randall's Anthias; All of them in 55gal display tank.

Last edited:

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at night he stayed in the same spot, on today too, haven't seen fishes chase him or anything. I put a pbc pipe near his spot. He moved to other corner where clowns digging hole. Clowns chasing off other fish from that spot, but didn't bother him. Now he is back by his spot but not going into pbc pipe.

I did not see wrasse eat at any time i fed fish, thurs - today (sat)

I do see that all my fish chase each other once in a while, but no big fights. Only 2 damsels circled each other for little while.

Just to list all fish i got besides my new Pinstripe Wrasse: 2 Azure damsels, 2 clowns, 1 midas blenny and 1 Randall's Anthias; All of them in 55gal display tank.
The damsels look like the only ones that may be an offender (unless your clowns are maroons). Do you have a hospital/qt tank that you could move the damsels to for a few days? Hopefully by then you can get the pintail to start eating again.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels first probably did the job and now they aren't worried because he is weak. However it could have been the mated pair of clowns, especially if they are cleaning a place. More than likely cleaning a place to lay. Clowns can be butt heads, when anything gets close to the area they call home. That is why I no longer have pairs in my 120, and have a Wyoming white I'm about to remove, because she will chase anything away that comes near her area.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that too. He been sitting same spot whole day not moving at all. Still has not gone into pbc pipe to hide, just sitting same spot.

Unfortunately I do not have any other tanks.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I gave up on Damsels long ago, some of the biggest jerks in the tank but some are very pretty.

Yup, I know there are Damsel apologists here and that certain varieties can be better behaved than others, but even the Springer's Damsel (considered to be the most peaceful of the bunch) has some downright nasty horror stories. I think Damsels have their uses (ie cheap Damsel tank, frag tank) but I would never trust one in a community tank unless it was in my sump by itself.

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the same issue with my melanurus wrasse except he is all alone in a qt tank. He sits on bottom and is breathing very hard, but only out of one gill. I dosed it with prazipro a couple mins ago, but just wondering what anyone else thinks. That’s him in the pic, and that’s sand on him on any parasite

image.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the same issue with my melanurus wrasse except he is all alone in a qt tank. He sits on bottom and is breathing very hard, but only out of one gill. I dosed it with prazipro a couple mins ago, but just wondering what anyone else thinks. That’s him in the pic, and that’s sand on him on any parasite

image.jpg
How long has he been in the QT? The first couple of days can be pretty stressed out and atypical.

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the QT? The first couple of days can be pretty stressed out and atypical.
Only three but he is laying down and darting up to the top and sinking back down now. Just don’t want to lose the little fella

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only three but he is laying down and darting up to the top and sinking back down now. Just don’t want to lose the little fella
You could try dimming the light a bit - does seem a bit bright. He should settle in soon, unless there is something else going on indeed.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm definitely no expert, but 10 gallons for a decently sized melanarus might be a tight squeeze. i had a 3" or so china wrasse in a 10 gallon and she seemed to just keep going downhill. i found her just laying on the bottom one evening so in desperation i transferred her into my 20g long qt tank which had a bunch of other fish in it and she improved dramatically. anecdotal and idk if you have a larger option, but the busier tank seemed to be good for her plus more swimming room. in the future i'm just going to use the 10 gallon for less active or smaller fish, but i realize some people probably don't want tanks for days all around their house :cool:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back