Is my porcelain crab stressing my RBTA

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so when i first started my tank i did what all first time reefers do who don't educate them selves first, i bought a Green bubble tip anemone and put it into my 6 month old tank.

Needless to say it died. sadly. But there was a porcelain crab that cam with the nem as a hitchhiker. after the nem died the crab began hosting a rock then it vanished !!
About a 1 year later at around tank age of 1.5 years I bought a RBTA (rose bubbletip anemone) i did my research and managed to have a more stable tank. i placed the nem into the tank after acclimating and the nem did great about a month later i saw the crab again and of course its all up in the nem.

Now the nem is all closed up and look's irritated. Its ticked the crabs in it. mean while my clowns are busy in there corner being dumb dumbs. They didnt take to the nem at all.

I let the crab go to continue to bug the nem and i thought eventually the crab and nem would be one. the nem should get use to it. The original nem that the crab was in didnt care or even notice him inside it. one morning i woke up and saw the nem on the side glass. It looked hurt the crab still hold onto it even tho its in the top corner of tank. Its foot looks like it dug into the nem almost like a cut! i was soo worried i took the crab off and placed him in my sump. Now im ticked thinking the crab had killed my nem by tearing its foot.

I left the nem in the corner and did not interfere for hope it could recover!!! eventually the nem ripped its self apart ! i was soooo confused now there is two halves of the nem in the top corner both look like it just ripped right down the middle of the mouth !! i thought for sure it was a goner. I eventually figured out that nems split ? who woulda thought! But it did not know if it was stress related do to the crab?

eventually the og nem healed and got back to the rocks and there it stayed ! the Split nem the copy of itself eventually died and became life less and floated around tank ! I eventually just lost it and I imagine it decomposed some were in the tank. but my og was still alive and healthy all big and bubbly/ stringy. couple months later my clown pair began to host the nem. And Again the nem got angry and eventually warmed up to the clowns beating. the female would never allow the male in the nem untill this nem Split again ! This time two healthy BTA's survived and they grew and grew bigger and bigger. now they live right next to each other and both CLowns Male and female share the nems. The nems warmed up to the clowns and have been perfect since then

Around my 2 year mark for the tank i moved it to a new house location. And now this brings me to current status.

About 2 months ago i found that crab in my sump doing crab things. Been alive down there for 2 years i grabbed him up and through him in the dt and figured his banishment should be lifted. i figured the clowns will keep him out of the nem.

The crab did infact begin to crawl into the nems the clowns occasional kick him out but he hangs out on the side of the foot and then clowns on top in the tentacles.
All was fine but now my nem SPLIT AGAIN !!!

Now i have three this split seems to be healthy and is still looking good 3 RBTA. what the heck.

Could this crab be stressing out the nems. is this healthy ? should i be concered.

I figure I am just going to let it go and see what happens with the nem and crabs and clowns. Maybe the new nem is there so the crab and both clowns can have there own ? is nature supply a need for more nems in my tank to accommodate the animals in the ecosystem? Do nems usually split this much when introduced to new hosteies.

4A6819A7-89D1-46C7-836E-E6CE865977E7.jpeg A6C1AED0-DE98-4B0B-B59D-3BB021EA94D4.jpeg F4CD9D9F-6248-42BC-A9E1-F2041907F4FC.jpeg EF021B00-9DC0-41C8-A8BE-1C21CE43B2C9.jpeg 66DCA836-E816-4654-8EA5-8D51D6B46C72.jpeg 506619A9-0E4C-4E22-8100-C34CDE293A19.jpeg 8C45F0C4-9CF8-4C23-9DFF-F9A4B684AD10.jpeg AD745680-D11F-4271-912D-C5B74529C6AA.jpeg 423B0914-48B8-49F2-B4A1-EF6B21085A4A.jpeg 1D453302-AAC7-44D6-8929-6F7695743DE1.jpeg 990BC631-E02F-42CE-8D5D-A13C5F8459AB.jpeg
1D453302-AAC7-44D6-8929-6F7695743DE1.jpeg

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my above question to those RBTA pros is below just incase it wasnt clear in the above!!

1. Do nems usually split to accommodate more hosters.
2. should i leave the crab in the dt?
3. is the crab causing my nems stress and should i be worried?

i have not found any info here on if these crabs have every hurt a nem! #reefsquad

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off of experience, porcelain crabs won’t cause a BTA to split. They may split because of stress but not due to of the crab. Sometimes clowns can stress a BTA, especially when small. I wouldn’t banish the crab as they’re very gentle. So to your question, no porcelain crabs don’t hurt nems I’ve even had them in corals with no problem.

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
par in tank as of last week

Sp.g 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.4
Calcium 500
Phosphate 0.25

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do BTA usually split his much

Some do and some don't. They are as different from each other as people are from each other. I had a relatively small RBTA that never got big because it would split. And the new ones would split as well. At one point I had 21 small RBTA! On the other hand, I know a couple of people who have huge BTA and the hardly ever split.

BTW, as ScottR stated, porcelain crabs are close to harmless. They are filter feeders. I have 5 in with my 35+ RFA's and also 5 tiny sexy shrimp.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do BTA usually split his much
They can. I’ve had some split about once a month in a tank with higher phosphates. Not sure if it was the phosphates that caused it, but that was my thinking.
3C82F513-95EF-4FBF-AE0C-F2B3175E263F.jpeg
This was from an older tank of mine. And this BTA split a lot. Each time I was begging people to take it. Notice that it doesn’t have the “bubble tips”.

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I got high phosphats lately so I’ve been running some gfo and carbon to help reduce pollutants and phosphate

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back