Is my scolymia growing a new head ???

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently noticed while observing my tank that there is a small Florescent polyp looking thing attached to the side of my warpaint scoly. My first thought was that it was a zoa of some sort, but I realized this thing is way too tiny to be a zoa. Here are some pictures maybe some of the experts can shed some light on what it could be. Thanks in advance !!

20210117_173534.jpg 20210120_202509.jpg 20210120_202520.jpg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Would be curious to see what others say. Not sure if scolys grow new heads cause wouldn’t it be a branching coral then? Just my thoughts, could be totally wrong. How do scolymias propagate in the wild anyway besides sexual reproduction?

Corals.com
OP
ArtofReefing

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Would be curious to see what others say. Not sure if scolys grow new heads cause wouldn’t it be a branching coral then? Just my thoughts, could be totally wrong. How do scolymias propagate in the wild anyway besides sexual reproduction?
They actually do grow from the sides, I believe they call it budding. They reproduce sexually and asexually

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
I didn’t think it was a new head, but hey, some scolys are crazy weird and different. Love to follow this to see what it is, any better pics of the smaller polyp?

OP
ArtofReefing

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I didn’t think it was a new head, but hey, some scolys are crazy weird and different. Love to follow this to see what it is, any better pics of the smaller polyp?
I'll try to get some tomorrow when the lights are back on :)

AS
OP
ArtofReefing

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah I did had nem and aiptasia grew on my scoly’s base before. I would say monitor it closely to make sure if it is one. If it is, try to remove it as it will sting the scoly.
I'll definitely keep a close eye on it the coming weeks thank you

OP
ArtofReefing

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Poke it, don't obliterate it lol.
Haha I know but its so tiny its literally the same size as the tip of a ball point pen. I'm gonna see if it retracts when I poke it, although I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for by doing that lol.

OP
ArtofReefing

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I found this picture of a croc island scoly growing a new one, but this one i notice the new polyp flesh attached to mother scoly.

Attachments

• 20210122_081342.jpg
    20210122_081342.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 21
Budmans

What types of R2R interview articles are you most excited about?

• Specific reef topics! (List the ones you'd like to see us cover in the thread.)

Votes: 67 38.3%
  • Specific reef personalities! (List the people you'd like us to interview in the thread.)

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Not that concerned about the topics...I just wanna see the awesome PICTURES!

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • All of the above!! ...and yes, I'll list some in the thread. :-)

Votes: 63 36.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
LRS