Is my soft coral placement ok (newbie) ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read as much as I could but it’s my first time with corals and I’m a little insecure. I cut the tip of the frags but left the round part. Should I have removed them from it ? They look happy - are they in good spots ?

I wish I had put the pulsing xenia to face the front of the tank but I don’t want to bother now now. Will they eventually grow facing front ?

The acropora went without any light for 4 days when I was away. It looks dead, I’m giving it a few more days and will discard it if it doesn’t recover.

Thanks for any tip. Here‘s a video :

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your setup? When did you complete cycling?
I completed the cycle mid-march, so from complete cycle, my setup is about 3 months old.

flow looks too strong for softies but is better for the acropora.

What would you suggest I do ? Should I just remove the power head or get a less powerful one ? I plan on having mostly soft corals and mushrooms.

I do have a small Sun Sun that might be less powerful, although a lot more noisy…

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the water parameters and have they been stable?

Asking the questions because of the newness of your aquarium. Aquariums have to reach a level bio maturity before you can add corals.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the water parameters and have they been stable?

Asking the questions because of the newness of your aquarium. Aquariums have to reach a level bio maturity before you can add corals.

I haven’t tested in a while. These are the tests I’ve done:

PH : around 8 if I remember correctly
ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrates : 5 ppm
Salinity : between 1,026 and 1,0265

Those have been stable since being cycled, three months ago.

I don’t have any tests for other parameters. I use RO/Di water and Red sea salt. My RO/Di water is at 0 tds.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would run it with the powerhead for now as it is only a bit too fast imo for the soft corals but the pump should slow down as algae grows on it and be fine

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would run it with the powerhead for now as it is only a bit too fast imo for the soft corals but the pump should slow down as algae grows on it and be fine
Ok, I will, thank you.

I just replaced the pump for a more powerful one a few days ago, lol ! Should I go back to the old one ?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt if the other was loud like you said before. Soft corals are pretty tolerant and the acro needs heavy flow, though this tank is still a bit young for acropora and acros need much much higher lighting than soft corals and lps like duncans

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fluval evo stock led cannot support sps like acros (pretty sure need to double check the power spec of the leds though)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fluval evo stock led cannot support sps like acros (pretty sure need to double check the power spec of the leds though)

I don’t intend to have a lot of acros. This one was my first coral and the seller told me they were easy. Which I don’t find they are.

Nevertheless, I’ve ordered an AI 16 HD light which should be here this week I hope. And a lid, because of the snails.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t intend to have a lot of acros. This one was my first coral and the seller told me they were easy. Which I don’t find they are.

Nevertheless, I’ve ordered an AI 16 HD light which should be here this week I hope. And a lid, because of the snails.
Uncool of them to tell you acropora are easy corals, they are definitely not

Back