Is my Tailspot Blenny in Danger? - photo

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, still alive, added to the tank Friday night, now Wed night.
I have not seen him eat anything, BUT He is lunging for food: Mysis and Formula One, buy I haven't seen him eat any.
Even turning off the pumps and trying direct feeding. He only leaves about an inch from his hole.
Photos from tonight: With Flash and then without flash.
tailspot-2.jpg
That's good!! It's progress!! Mine started out the exact same way :D. Just keep offering different options. Mine would only eat flake...then it segued him into other foods like mysis and nori.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be too worried about not eating yet .they are pretty shy and one of my tailspots went into hiding for like 5 days before coming out to eat .If you're worried try feeding him directly and use garlic laced pellets to entice him

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Firefish goes into hiding a lot especially when there's new additions to the tank. I lost sight of him for a whole month and presumed he would starve. Eventually he came out of hiding and he still had a belly so food still makes it into the hiding spots. I remember my Tailspot taking some time to settle in before getting the courage to start venturing out to eat.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack... but i see people saying pellets and mysis. My 2 tailspots only seem to graze algae or the nori i give and nothing else. Been 3 months at least tho....but will they be fine?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack... but i see people saying pellets and mysis. My 2 tailspots only seem to graze algae or the nori i give and nothing else. Been 3 months at least tho....but will they be fine?
As long as they are eating something they will be fine.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pictus blenny which is a small combtooth and they are honestly a bit shy and picky about food sometimes. It takes awhile but they seem to eventually come around. Mine would not take prepared foods for 2 months, he just now started eating randomly one day. He would pick algae off the rocks and I grew some GHA for him which he loved. I think he may have started eating because I added a wrasse and he learned from its behavior.

I don't drip acclimate my fish unless there is a big difference in salinity. Temp acclimate and plop them in, lets them go hide in the rocks and calm down ASAP.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally they live in a hole from a drill mussle, shipworm or something like that. I am not certain of the actual english name. To be real happy they need o hole about 1/2 inch wide where they are safe from predators.
They are not there too much - they are often sitting in a coral nearby or just eating algae. Anyway they sleep at home.

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Week Update - The Tailspot Blenny is doing very well and coming out to eat now.
Seems like he loves flake floods. Of course I made a quick little video today, Filmed on an iPhone, so not 4K like my other videos.

Steve

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back