Is My Tank actually safe ? Do we need Insurance?

Should we be insuring our prized tanks for risk of damage and flood loss?

• I have thought about it

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I feel safe without it

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • I never thought about it but may now

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • I have coverage

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • Never knew there was such a thing

Votes: 38 29.2%

• Total voters

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rental insurance and it's cheap. I'm covered for water damage of any sort. If the place catches fire I'm also covered, someone kicks in the door and trashes the place or Robs us we're covered. I've got $100,000 insurance for all items inside the property and $1,000000 liability incase I/we cause damage to the rental like leave the stove top on and burn the place down ect. We also have the fire marshal come in once a year checking electrical and fire deterrent equipment. We were inspected actually 2 weeks ago and got a clean pass with the aquarium and how it's set up to the electrical grid. Only thing he suggested was the living room curtains be raised a few inches but they do fall in the code so we don't need to raise them.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have rental insurance and it's cheap. I'm covered for water damage of any sort. If the place catches fire I'm also covered, someone kicks in the door and trashes the place or Robs us we're covered. I've got $100,000 insurance for all items inside the property and $1,000000 liability incase I/we cause damage to the rental like leave the stove top on and burn the place down ect. We also have the fire marshal come in once a year checking electrical and fire deterrent equipment. We were inspected actually 2 weeks ago and got a clean pass with the aquarium and how it's set up to the electrical grid. Only thing he suggested was the living room curtains be raised a few inches but they do fall in the code so we don't need to raise them.
Most policies it is found covers water damage but will not cover the tank and its contents- something to check with your insurance company

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a Red Sea tank maybe.

All I buy is Aqueon though. Oddly enough in 19 Years never a leak from aqueon or all glass.
Oi!!! Already paranoid about my red sea tank dont put that in the universe!! Lol

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're renting, you should really consider a policy because if not, it will end up growing QUICK to twice the cost of fixing it when they throw in all the bloodsucker fees and court costs...and whatever else they can think of.

This ain't no mister rogers neighborhood anymore...

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons can ruin a floor. 200 gallons can ruin the entire downstairs.
I used to to do aquarium maint for a living. After I left a company m, another employee left a valve on a water changes systemnopenninstead of closed and put about 100 gallons on the floor. It ruined the floors in the condo, the unit below it, and the unit below that one too. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

Before that I worked another place and a restaurant had a 180 acrylic where the back panel started to bow so badly it was resting on the wall behind the tank, over 3" out of square at the middle. We begged them to let us swap the tank, even offered to do it at cost, but the answer was always no it was too expensive. Yea, the entire panel let go at once during dinner service with a restaurant full of customers.

Tank failure is beyond catastrophic, especially if ita not covered under insurance. I cannot under state how ****** you are in such a scenario. Which is exactly why every single time I see a post that says I got a used tank that's chipped or cracked or needs a reseal...just pass on it. Saving a few hundred bucks at this stage is NOT worth the risk if you aren't prepared.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to to do aquarium maint for a living. After I left a company m, another employee left a valve on a water changes systemnopenninstead of closed and put about 100 gallons on the floor. It ruined the floors in the condo, the unit below it, and the unit below that one too. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

Before that I worked another place and a restaurant had a 180 acrylic where the back panel started to bow so badly it was resting on the wall behind the tank, over 3" out of square at the middle. We begged them to let us swap the tank, even offered to do it at cost, but the answer was always no it was too expensive. Yea, the entire panel let go at once during dinner service with a restaurant full of customers.

Tank failure is beyond catastrophic, especially if ita not covered under insurance. I cannot under state how ****** you are in such a scenario. Which is exactly why every single time I see a post that says I got a used tank that's chipped or cracked or needs a reseal...just pass on it. Saving a few hundred bucks at this stage is NOT worth the risk if you aren't prepared.
Was the issue with the 180 acrylic bowing due to not thick enough glass? My main consideration of going acrylic and dealing with scratches because I feel they are less likely to leak once old. Assuming I go with thick enough glass or additional bracing.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the issue with the 180 acrylic bowing due to not thick enough glass? My main consideration of going acrylic and dealing with scratches because I feel they are less likely to leak once old. Assuming I go with thick enough glass or additional bracing.
No idea. It was a pretty old tank and was already bowing when I came into the picture. Ime most tank failure are inadequate support or a failure to adequately support the tank, such as the stand or floor sagging or not being perfectly flat or level. The issues is more prevalent with rimless tanks. Long term dry storage of glass tanks can also lead the the seals breaking down.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bumping this. Great topic.

Has anybody had any issues with their insurance dropping them when they find out about the tank? I'm probably just being paranoid but I'm almost afraid to ask lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Has anybody had any issues with their insurance dropping them when they find out about the tank? I'm probably just being paranoid but I'm almost afraid to ask lol
Yes. And it can also lead to being turned down for an application (especially if it's a large tank). It's best if you just tell your agent - let them negotiate with the company. That way it's more on him/her

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - Try having a pool, a Rottweiler, a waterfall, a hotter and 2 >100 gallon tanks.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes. And it can also lead to being turned down for an application (especially if it's a large tank). It's best if you just tell your agent - let them negotiate with the company. That way it's more on him/her

Unfortunately I don't work with an independent agent. I have USAA, though, which has a pretty stinking good reputation overall.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I don't work with an independent agent. I have USAA, though, which has a pretty stinking good reputation overall.
Just disclose what you have

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry this should have read 'disclose what you have' - and ask specifically - what is covered - and ask for an email in writing. Most insurance policies do not cover fish/coral. Damage from a sudden breakage often is - if disclosed

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with my agent to find out if they'd insure, and he basically said "water damage" could be covered but that inhabitants would not. They definitely didn't drop us when we told them about it. State Farm here.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of insurance companies overall. Had one sue me for just asking if I had coverage under our policy. They were insuring the fabrication of acrylic aquariums but were going out of business due to losses in a hurricane in Hawaii. I was covered by the way but the cost of going to court was not worth it to me. $5000.00 just for the retainer. Yeah so insurance companies excell at avoiding payouts even if you are covered. Their contracts should be written on toilet paper so at least you could get some use from it!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was required to add "water backup and sump discharge" coverage for a nominal fee(<$100/year) to cover potential water damage caused by the aquarium. The tank/equipment itself is covered as personal property, livestock is not covered. They, farmers ins., would/ could cover livestock if I got it appraised(and a could extra steps). They compared it to insuring jewelry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back