is my tank cycled being I used 100 percent live rock? Also what do I put in my filter sock and my reactor?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we set up a 36 gallon bow front, and not quite sure how to run sump or if its cycled yet. I am not a newbie but a newbie to a bigger system with a sump, skimmer and all. I have a 10 gallon in my kitchen with a hob and as you know thats a whole different ballgame!

So first off. I am tightwad I guess you could say..lol Rather save money for corals and a better lights so got everything used for this, and man did I score! But thats a differet story.. Actually, no have to brag! haha 100.00 for the whole thing. Including current Orbit lights, oversized esshops skimmer and small sump, sense bowfronts dont have much room underneath! Two korelia wavemakers and colbalt big heater! Media reactor, red sea chemicals test kits accessories! It was pretty dirty but It looks brand new after I cleaned it up! He was originally asking 400.00 but since the add was old I took a chance and offered 100 and he bit! haha I was thinking of making a frag tank out of it and setting up my 72 bowfront that needs everything, but I got excited and just wanted to get something bigger going so I might switch things over soon after we get other ready. My hubby has no idea what he is doing, so we lucked out that a guy that works at petcity came and hooked it up for us! Wouldnt even take money we offered On a sunday afternoon at that! He loves the challenge he says and gains experience every time and its flowing nicely and very quiet! So now to figure out how to run it! haha

I also scored 40 lbs of tonga and arches and a big tub and a sump for my 72 gallon and about 25 marine pure balls! 30 bucks for all that! and literally 2 miles from my house! Got to love offerup! lol Plus I added some of my own regular base rock, so real nice aquascape. I will add some pics tomorrow!

The rock tested negative for ammonia in the barrel I also got with it and looks clean, smells clean, changed water once since I had it and no nitrite either, so would that mean its cycled? I had some rock of mine I took out of my 10 gallon since I traded a friend for a cave and arch and I know that is cycled for sure and it tested the same, so I have combined these together.

Should I add ammonia and see if it process it in the 24 hour test or should I add bacteria starter and test afterwards?

I didint use live sand this time. Just so expensive and petco had caribe sea aragonite on sale for half price and I did mix with some of an 8 lb bag of live sand but probably not live beacuse it was just damp because the bag broke about 4 months ago. Looked very healthy and still good and put some in my 10 gallon as well and all is good with that.

My other questions are: what should I use for filtering in the sock? Wish I had room for a refugium but not a chance! I put a big bag of carbon in there, I also have some purigan I can use but not much and filter floss. The tank came with about a 10 inch tall MR 1 shorty reactor. I just noticed the sticker on side that says MR1 shorty Media/ substrate reactor, it has 2 sponges and also says next reef below that and and Their website so I iwll check that out. I have never heard of a substrate reactor! The guy that sold it to me said it was a phosphate reactor but he never used it he said. The guy that hooked it up said he would run bio pellets in it. I know they do that at the store he works at and I think that is for phosphates. I am sure this early in the game I wont need to run it but in the future.

I am planning on having a toadstool and maybe another leather so should I just keep carbon in sock or area of high flow and any other sugestions? My 10 gallon dosnt even have a skimmer. I just change water ever week!

How often should change water now that I have a skimmer and is it true that carbon only lasts 3 days and just throw it out after? I have been putting a bag of carbon a month and only running it a week and removing in my 10 gallon because I have Chemipure elite with gfo and carbon mixed. I also use purigan and a bio poly sponge filter and a filter floss. I have had it 5 months and never had any algae or any problems. I was so patient about running lights and adding corals and all and I feel I dont have it in me to do again, one thing is I cant wait to transfer stuff and I have new corals on the way!

Appreciate any help that anyone can offer

Thanks to anyone who reads this very long post. I got carried away..sorry! Cant wait to get this cycled and move my clown fish and cleaner shrimp in here!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the big three, Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate. If all are zero then likely you are good to add a fish or a shrimp. It’s a small system so test things after you add that fish for a couple weeks. Since you used live rock this is why you can move ahead. Just add livestock SLOWLY and test regularly.

The filter socks ARE the filters. You don’t put anything int them. They should get cleaned every two or three days. It’s good to have spares as you can swap em out and wash several in the washing machine at a time.

The comment “go slow” is so you can allow bacteria to grow and build in the sand and else where.

Pictures of your system would help explain what things are.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tank is very fun. I hope you enjoy it.

I’ll try a few of these questions, although I‘m sure I’ll miss some.

You definitely want to make sure the rock is cycled. If it was being used in a tank with fish or corals and you only moved it a couple miles, it’s probably good to go. But I would keep checking ammonia a couple weeks then try a fish. As you mentioned, you could add ammonia and see if it gets consumed. I personally would be wary of that method though if you have lots of desirable life on the rock.

The carbon can be placed anywhere in the system with flow. I keep mine in a bag in my sump, but I have also used a “reactor” with flow through it at times, but prefer the simplicity of the bag. I replace mine every 2 weeks. As you mentioned, carbon does get exhausted quickly. You will hear every recommendation in the book with carbon. Some don’t use it, some replace it weekly, or biweekly, or monthly, or every 3 months, etc. I do what I do and it works for me. I use ROX from BRS and only use 1/2 cup at a time on my 180 gallon. Your current method with carbon seems good to me.

I’m not a fan of GFO unless you are very experienced with using it. I have been reefing for a lot of years and GFO, I believe, is one of the most over used methods. It has caused me many more problems than solved.

I would do 10% weekly water changes.

Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back