Is my tank cycled?

cody44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Curious as to your thoughts if my tank is cycled and ready for a new fish. My wife and kids are chomping at the bit haha.

Info- 40 Gal IM Fusion Pro, 2" sand bed of Carib Sea Argg Alive, good amount of caribsea life rock as well. Doing a fish in cycle currently have 3 small clowns in there. I also used Fritz Turbostart 900 day 1.

I've been testing with the Red Sea Marine Care multi test kit. Ammonia has been 0 ppm for 7 days now. Nitrite "spiked" 6 days ago to between 0.5 - 1 ppm and has since quickly came down to nearly 0. It has been between 0.05 and 0 for 3 days now. The test has the faintest tint of pink. Nitrates are 5-10ppm (hard to tell its darker than 5ppm but not as dark as the 10ppm).

Does the Red Sea kit ever read a true 0 (completely clear) when testing for nitrites?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was ready as soon as you added the bac

cycles today don't take coaxing to finish, they're done with a pour, day one. you need to prep for fish disease now using fallow and quarantine

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was ready as soon as you added the bac

cycles today don't take coaxing to finish, they're done with a pour, day one. you need to prep for fish disease now using fallow and quarantine

Yep... finishing up a 125 building. New substrate. Old live rock. No bottled bacteria. Ammonia badge never left the "safe" yellow indication. Corals, Nems and fish all doing very well.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Curious as to your thoughts if my tank is cycled and ready for a new fish. My wife and kids are chomping at the bit haha.

Info- 40 Gal IM Fusion Pro, 2" sand bed of Carib Sea Argg Alive, good amount of caribsea life rock as well. Doing a fish in cycle currently have 3 small clowns in there. I also used Fritz Turbostart 900 day 1.

I've been testing with the Red Sea Marine Care multi test kit. Ammonia has been 0 ppm for 7 days now. Nitrite "spiked" 6 days ago to between 0.5 - 1 ppm and has since quickly came down to nearly 0. It has been between 0.05 and 0 for 3 days now. The test has the faintest tint of pink. Nitrates are 5-10ppm (hard to tell its darker than 5ppm but not as dark as the 10ppm).

Does the Red Sea kit ever read a true 0 (completely clear) when testing for nitrites?
Hi Cody. Welcome. Your tank is cycled. Nitrite may show up faintly on that kit for a long time. No worry, even if a trace is present, nitrite isn't very toxic in a marine tank. Good to have another Wichita resident on the forum.

OP
OP
C

cody44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!! I figured it was cycled but there are so many different opinions on cycling (and everything else it seems). Just wanted to double check. My kids will be very excited for a trip to the LFS after school today. Thanks again everyone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!! I figured it was cycled but there are so many different opinions on cycling (and everything else it seems). Just wanted to double check. My kids will be very excited for a trip to the LFS after school today. Thanks again everyone.
Don't go adding a bunch of fish right now though. Stock slowly. Trade one of the clowns in too while you are there.

OP
OP
C

cody44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go adding a bunch of fish right now though. Stock slowly. Trade one of the clowns in too while you are there.
I have a 20G tank I am setting up for the 3rd clown and will be moving him over asap. And roger that on stocking slowly only plan on getting 1 fish maybe a snail/crab/shrimp as well and then waiting. Trying to do things right and not mess up from the get go while also keeping 3 kids happy

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back