Is my tank going to be okay? Heater unplugged

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you dont want to see swing more than 2 degrees in any direction but our livestock handles low temps much better than high. Once you get above 84/85 degrees you’re entering the danger zone. I’ve had corals and fish ship and arrive in 63 degree water and rebound just fine.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my tank I had a heater poop out on me overnight. Tank dropped to 67 degrees. I ran to petsmart the next morning to buy a heater but it still took a few days to bring it back to regular temp. ALL my corals and fish made it like champs but to me that was a pretty drastic change and I really thought I was going to lose everything.

Now I keep a backup heater on hand. :)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my tank I had a heater poop out on me overnight. Tank dropped to 67 degrees. I ran to petsmart the next morning to buy a heater but it still took a few days to bring it back to regular temp. ALL my corals and fish made it like champs but to me that was a pretty drastic change and I really thought I was going to lose everything.

Now I keep a backup heater on hand. :)
A few days? Mines already almost 2° up

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A backup heater is great advice, I would also add a heater controller to the must have category. I removed my controller one day to upgrade it, Got distracted and never put the new one on... went to do it the next morning and found my Biocube reading 101 degrees. The heater was bad but the controller was doing its job. Also be sure to use a heater with the proper wattage for your tank volume :)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A backup heater is great advice, I would also add a heater controller to the must have category. I removed my controller one day to upgrade it, Got distracted and never put the new one on... went to do it the next morning and found my Biocube reading 101 degrees. The heater was bad but the controller was doing its job. Also be sure to use a heater with the proper wattage for your tank volume :)
That's a question I always had haha if a bigger heater is better. This tells me no. But isnt the best method for heating to use a heater without it's own ability to regulate tempreture and use an external temp control device to turn the heater on and off

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now might be a good time to look at your electrical and see how a heater 'accidentally' gets unplugged.
Also might be worth considering 2 heaters each about 3/4 of the power of one large one, on a temp controller so they can maintain temp if one fails for whatever reason.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a question I always had haha if a bigger heater is better. This tells me no. But isnt the best method for heating to use a heater without it's own ability to regulate tempreture and use an external temp control device to turn the heater on and off
Ideally you want both for added protection. if the heaters internal thermometer fails you have the controller as the backup.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days? Mines already almost 2° up

Sounds like your heater isn’t sized correctly. Heaters typically fail by the temp controller getting stuck in the “on” position.

How big is your tank and what wattage is your heater?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heater fail and temp dropped to high 60s. Everything survived just fine. Agree just plug it back in and let it rise.

Having a back up is a great idea. Of all the equipment that will fail the heater is going to be it. Hope that it fails off and not on

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your heater isn’t sized correctly. Heaters typically fail by the temp controller getting stuck in the “on” position.

How big is your tank and what wattage is your heater?
I have the fluval m100 100 watt heater. The 50 watt heater wouldn't work for me because I couldnt heat my house enough in the winter (moving to a place with better insulation this week) 20g tank

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back