Is my tank going to be okay? Heater unplugged

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its fine as it dropped gradually. A sudden rise or drop can be an issue.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have too much? I've tried 50 watt and it couldnt keep up
You have a 20g tank so Id guess N actual water volume around 15g is close to accurate? A 75watt should do the job. 100 is a tad oversized IMO. House temp will also have an affect.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a question I always had haha if a bigger heater is better. This tells me no. But isnt the best method for heating to use a heater without it's own ability to regulate tempreture and use an external temp control device to turn the heater on and off

The best thing to do is have the heater have it’s own internal temp probe and set it just a couple degrees higher than the controller. This way if the controller fails, hopefully the heaters internal one will take over. A 75watt is one of the largest singles you may want in your tank and that’s only if your ACTUAL water volume is that amount. The prime set up for you would be two good 50 watts on a controller.

Kevin Beadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry, I have had a heater break in the off position and didn't notice for a week and nothing died. However If the tank was in the high 80s low 90s it's a matter of hours until everything is dead

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want both for added protection. if the heaters internal thermometer fails you have the controller as the backup.

Or vice versa.
Set the internal thermostat just slightly higher than your normal operating range, and let the controller do the controlling.
If the controller fails in the ON state, or its temp probe fails, the temp will only go up slightly and won't cook your tank.

Edit: See now that someone else already said the same thing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back