Is my tank ready for an anemone

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C8C05A39-3DED-42A1-A313-137638F026E9.jpeg

I have a fluval evo 13.5 With upgraded filtration with everything else stock
I have coralline algae starting to appear and my ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate very close to 0
I have 2 clownfish
5 hermit crabs
3 nassarius snails
2 trochus snails
Is my tanks ready for an anemone or any other inhabitants if so what ?

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing for anything other than what you mentioned? I would test for the big three (alk,calc,mag) plus nitrate and phosphate on a tank that small especially. Stability is key and if you can’t test for it you can’t know if your tank is actually stable enough for more demanding livestock.
No the test kit I have does not test for that are there any test kits that you would recommend

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I commend you for asking questions before acquiring anemone as I often see many purchase anemone then ask question often being too late. A lot of advice given but the real answer to acquring an anemone is tank maturity. Why is it important?
Because anemones need a stable environment and do not handle changes in water characteristics and when tank is new, you will be changing water frequently/regularly and as tank matures, this task becomes less. Again, anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place an anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .6
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No the test kit I have does not test for that are there any test kits that you would recommend
Dont worry about mag and ca at least for now. PH=temp=salinity are essential

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I commend you for asking questions before acquiring anemone as I often see many purchase anemone then ask question often being too late. A lot of advice given but the real answer to acquring an anemone is tank maturity. Why is it important?
Because anemones need a stable environment and do not handle changes in water characteristics and when tank is new, you will be changing water frequently/regularly and as tank matures, this task becomes less. Again, anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • Nitrate < .6
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Interesting to know news also have the zooxanthellae that “Photosynthetic” Coral has. i thought they just fed off of small inverts/fish and weren’t “photosynthetic”, although they aren’t at the same time. Do all nems have Zooxanthellae then?

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to know news also have the zooxanthellae that “Photosynthetic” Coral has. i thought they just fed off of small inverts/fish and weren’t “photosynthetic”, although they aren’t at the same time. Do all nems have Zooxanthellae then?
All of the anemones in the aquarium industry have and depend on zooxanthellae.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
  • Nitrate < .6
Thanks that’s a massive help i will buy a new test kit ( I have a api one ) and test regularly to make sure my parameters are stable
Thanks again

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have coralline growth you should be fine for an anemone, the challenging part will be keeping stability in such a small tank. Like others have said, with stock lighting id stick to something like mini carpets (though I have seen plenty of RBTAs thrive in low end lighting)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have coralline growth you should be fine for an anemone, the challenging part will be keeping stability in such a small tank. Like others have said, with stock lighting id stick to something like mini carpets (though I have seen plenty of RBTAs thrive in low end lighting)
Yep Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How on earth is coralline going to support an anemone?? Anemones need a stable environment and do not handle changes in water characteristics especially with a newer tank which will have swings and require water changes and when tank is new, you will be changing water frequently/regularly and as tank matures, this task becomes less. Again, anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How on earth is coralline going to support an anemone?? Anemones need a stable environment and do not handle changes in water characteristics especially with a newer tank which will have swings and require water changes and when tank is new, you will be changing water frequently/regularly and as tank matures, this task becomes less. Again, anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape.
So stability is key for an anemone ?

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having coralline shows that most of your elements are in a healthy range, and that your nutrients is not too high.

But it doesn’t really determine if your lighting is proper which is one of the most important parts. Renting a par meter is key to knowing this!

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline doesn't support an anemone that's quite obviously not what I was stating to the OP. Coraline growth denotes a decent amount of tank maturity. Try reading an entire sentence before formulating asinine replies.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place an anemone into a tank you just set up.
  • Nitrate < .6
Nitrate less than 0.6??? What did you mean to type?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nitrate less than 0.6??? What did you mean to type?
I know what I typed. Tanks containing anemones with higher amount of ammonium nitrate have a lower level of dissolved oxygen. Anenomes and many corals cannot thrive and survive in water that has higher than 10-20ppm of NitrAtes. It is best to keep them below 10 ppm at all times in a reef setting. Anemones need:
High levels of dissolved O2, salinity at 1.024 to 1.026, stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3, temp between 76 and 78 F, calcium between 400 and 450, dKH at 8.0 to 11.0, magnesium between 1300 and 1350 ppm, and nitrate at 2 ppm or less .
Been doing this way too long to have to explain.
My main tank runs at 3.36 nitrate and .0266 Phosphate. This below is the result.
SO WHAT WAS YOUR QUESTION ?

660g 3.30a.jpg
660g 3.30d.jpg

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back