Is my tank ready for an anemone

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C8C05A39-3DED-42A1-A313-137638F026E9.jpeg

I have a fluval evo 13.5 With upgraded filtration with everything else stock
I have coralline algae starting to appear and my ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate very close to 0
I have 2 clownfish
5 hermit crabs
3 nassarius snails
2 trochus snails
Is my tanks ready for an anemone or any other inhabitants if so what ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I commend you for asking questions before acquiring anemone as I often see many purchase anemone then ask question often being too late. A lot of advice given but the real answer to acquring an anemone is tank maturity. Why is it important?
Because anemones need a stable environment and do not handle changes in water characteristics and when tank is new, you will be changing water frequently/regularly and as tank matures, this task becomes less. Again, anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place an anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .6
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
This! @vetteguy53081 is a very respected and seasoned aquarist, he has given you very sound advice. Also remember that a number of anemones are collected from the wild, the least we can do is create the proper environment for them to thrive.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what I typed. Tanks containing anemones with higher amount of ammonium nitrate have a lower level of dissolved oxygen. Anenomes and many corals cannot thrive and survive in water that has higher than 10-20ppm of NitrAtes. It is best to keep them below 10 ppm at all times in a reef setting. Anemones need:
High levels of dissolved O2, salinity at 1.024 to 1.026, stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3, temp between 76 and 78 F, calcium between 400 and 450, dKH at 8.0 to 11.0, magnesium between 1300 and 1350 ppm, and nitrate at 2 ppm or less .
Been doing this way too long to have to explain.
My main tank runs at 3.36 nitrate and .0266 Phosphate. This below is the result.
SO WHAT WAS YOUR QUESTION ?

660g 3.30a.jpg
660g 3.30d.jpg
MY QUESTION WAS "0.6"?

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what I typed. Tanks containing anemones with higher amount of ammonium nitrate have a lower level of dissolved oxygen. Anenomes and many corals cannot thrive and survive in water that has higher than 10-20ppm of NitrAtes. It is best to keep them below 10 ppm at all times in a reef setting. Anemones need:
High levels of dissolved O2, salinity at 1.024 to 1.026, stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3, temp between 76 and 78 F, calcium between 400 and 450, dKH at 8.0 to 11.0, magnesium between 1300 and 1350 ppm, and nitrate at 2 ppm or less .
Been doing this way too long to have to explain.
My main tank runs at 3.36 nitrate and .0266 Phosphate. This below is the result.
SO WHAT WAS YOUR QUESTION ?

660g 3.30a.jpg
660g 3.30d.jpg
And for the record, I, and many others, have kept healthy, thriving nems in tanks with much higher nitrates.

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don't.

Seriously over the years there are only 3 people on R2R I've been so annoyed by that I put on my ignore list, he's one of them. Talk about a guy with a superiority complex...
Just about to do the same. Thanks.

Upvote 0

patrickb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don't.

Seriously over the years there are only 3 people on R2R I've been so annoyed by that I put on my ignore list, he's one of them. Talk about a guy with a superiority complex...

It's amazing you can get so far having never learned to speak to other humans

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing you can get so far having never learned to speak to other humans
It's great to have experienced reefers on the forum but, yeah, a little more "guiding" and a little less "showing off" would be nice.

Upvote 0

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank with 2 platinum snowflake clowns, 1 bangaii cardinal, 1 banded goby w/ pistol shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp. 4 bubble tips and mini maxi. But everything in my tank is upgraded. Intank media basket, nero 3, eheim compacton 1000 return pump, ai prime 16hd, tunze nano ato, and innovative marine diy mesh top

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
they don't.

I’m obviously not on your ignore list if you are commenting. Some people have no clue what they’re talking about and giving poor advice. You are one of them and you are on my ignore status in 3 seconds. Experience goes a long way in this hobby .
you have a Lot to learn before giving Anyone advice

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's great to have experienced reefers on the forum but, yeah, a little more "guiding" and a little less "showing off" would be nice.
No one’s showing off . Showing that a tank with low no3 and po4 thrives well.
sorry my tank bothers you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m obviously not on your ignore list if you are commenting. Some people have no clue what they’re talking about and giving poor advice. You are one of them and you are on my ignore status in 3 seconds. Experience goes a long way in this hobby .
you have a Lit to learn before giving Anyone advice

Lol I have a lit to learn, huh? Exactly what poor advice did I give? Lol you essentially copied what I stated in your reply to the OP :D And you still haven't explained why you think our anemones need calcium and magnesium and such, out of your misplaced arrogance you just state "been doing this too long to have to explain..." Lol nobody cares how long you've been doing this - there's hundreds of us here with decades of experience. Just because you seem to reply to every post that comes across this forum doesn't make you anymore qualified to belittle others peoples sound advice.

Seriously dude get over yourself

Upvote 0

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow another guy said I was pushing it with two clowns
Absolutely don't put a six line wrasse in with two clowns.

I have 2 small clowns and a goby in mine. I'm going to move the clowns out eventually and probably add a pistol shrimp and just keep that and the goby in that tank. I might add something else, but I'm not sure.

Six Lines can be incredibly hostile and so can clowns as someone else mentioned. You're good with 2 clowns and I wouldn't add anything else if you're planning on keeping them in here for a few years. Ethically, they should probably end up in a larger tank when full grown or nearly full grown.

As for the anemone, you probably need a new light, or an additional light source (some of those actual reef use led bars glued inside the hood would work) and as it was mentioned previously, stability is absolutely key for an anemone. You really need to have your stuff together and run a steady tank to host one properly and have good results.

Edit: I didn't go into detail on parameters and such, but in between the bickering there is some good information. While they're arguing about magnesium and calcium for anemones, that might not be necessary for anemones in particular, but it's proper reef keeping and parameters for your corals and you should stay in those ranges. Just for the love of god don't put that wrasse in there. It will not end well. Period.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have a lit to learn, huh? Exactly what poor advice did I give? Lol you essentially copied what I stated in your reply to the OP :D And you still haven't explained why you think our anemones need calcium and magnesium and such, out of your misplaced arrogance you just state "been doing this too long to have to explain..." Lol nobody cares how long you've been doing this - there's hundreds of us here with decades of experience. Just because you seem to reply to every post that comes across this forum doesn't make you anymore qualified to belittle others peoples sound advice.

Seriously dude get over yourself
And, he didn't mean 0.6, he meant .6.... Scratching my head at that one! And besides maybe Hanna, what hobby tests even measure .6?? (No way all those LPS are thriving in an ULNS either.)

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, he didn't mean 0.6, he meant .6.... Scratching my head at that one! And besides maybe Hanna, what hobby tests even measure .6?? (No way all those LPS are thriving in an ULNS either.)
what he really meant was 00000.6

200w.gif

Upvote 0
Back