Is quarantine necessary for Trumpet coral?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to quarantine a frag of Trumpet coral? After much research, I ordered two neon green Caulastrea heads from Tidal Gardens as my first coral for my reef tank. All of their coral is grown separately from fish and invertebrates. I have a QT tank currently setup for a diamond goby and peppermint shrimp I recently purchased. Is it necessary to QT the frags, or will a dip in Coral RX be sufficient?

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a guarantee from them that this is the case, and that their tanks do not share plumbing/water, then no.
I gave them a call and will see what they have to say. The frags are expected to arrive Tuesday. If their coral tanks are not hermetic from the plumbing of their fish and invertebrate systems then I will definitely quarantine.

Upvote 0

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to quarantine a frag of Trumpet coral? After much research, I ordered two neon green Caulastrea heads from Tidal Gardens as my first coral for my reef tank. All of their coral is grown separately from fish and invertebrates. I have a QT tank currently setup for a diamond goby and peppermint shrimp I recently purchased. Is it necessary to QT the frags, or will a dip in Coral RX be sufficient?

they have fish and snails etc in all of their tanks. Just like every other coral farm.
having said that, a dip and close inspection would be plenty imo.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have fish and snails etc in all of their tanks. Just like every other coral farm.
having said that, a dip and close inspection would be plenty imo.
I hear you, but that protocol isn't going to address parasitic disease transmission risks. It's an extremely low risk, mind you, but their are a number of reefers here who have infected their tanks doing exactly this. OP shouldn't do this without being able to accept that risk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but that protocol isn't going to address parasitic disease transmission risks. It's an extremely low risk, mind you, but their are a number of reefers here who have infected their tanks doing exactly this. OP shouldn't do this without being able to accept that risk.
I already have a 12 gallon QT tank setup with an AI Prime light, seeded biological filter, and Sicce Voyager nano. It should be more than ample conditions for trumpet coral. I don't want to risk introducing any parasites.

Upvote 0

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a 12 gallon QT tank setup with an AI Prime light, seeded biological filter, and Sicce Voyager nano. It should be more than ample conditions for trumpet coral. I don't want to risk introducing any parasites.

will the coral be going in with the goby and shrimp?

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and a pistol shrimp is obviously not going to show signs of anything, and yet it can be encysted with ich tomonts.

I'm in Canada, and we don't have access to any medications here. I only put livestock in my display if I'm willing to risk of an infection, because I have no means of treating anything. I buy my fish from Ethical Aquatics these days, as they quarantine and treat prophylactically. Or, of course, I just quarantine things myself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I decided that it would be most prudent to quarantine my frags after dipping for at least 45 days. The past few days, I have read too many horror stories about microscopic parasites and egg or cysts hatching from coral frags after only 2 weeks. I already found some small snail that I do not recognize on the side of my QT frag tank that must have come in on one of the plugs. To be honest, I really wanted to simply dip the plugs and put them into my display tank after all of the money I invested into it. However, I see that I already have hitch hikers from the plugs that were not exterminated by Coral RX.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back